Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Sick of this electric lift pump bs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickg
Bummer it's not any more expensive than a FASS or Airdog......If I had only known!
Yeah... I've wanted one of this style of pumps for a few years now, but always thought they were priced a bit on the rediculous side. I could piece one together for a lot less then they were asking. I never had time to jack around with building the mount and sourcing pulleys, etc. When I saw the sale price, I thought FINALLY! it's reasonably priced. I couldn't jack around with piecing a system together for what the kit is on sale for..... so I bought one.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 200000 miles on my fass150 and has kept my beasty feed a steady 16 psi. Its still going strong. Mines about 6 years old now. Prior to that I went thru three or four lift pumps.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I have 200000 miles on my fass150 and has kept my beasty feed a steady 16 psi. Its still going strong. Mines about 6 years old now. Prior to that I went thru three or four lift pumps.
Glad it's worked out for you.... but it's still electric. To each there own, but it's not my cup of tea. Personally, I'm not going to spend another dime on any electric fuel pump for my truck.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mechanos
Big deal.... it's a 20 horsepower rated belt used in a 1/4 horsepower application. I'm not concerned with that. That's like arguing against an electric pump because there is another fuse to maintain.

I could buy 9+ new belts for the cost of 1 stock lift pump.... and I bet I could change that belt about 200 times in the time it would take to change one stock lift pump. I wouldn't let the thought of having another belt sway my decision on a fuel system that is 1000 times more reliable than the stock crap.

This issue can easily turn into one of those "which is better, stick or auto? Which aftermarket auto trans is better?, etc...." type of threads. There are those that prefer and swear by electric pumps and there are those that prefer mechanical.

im sorry if i ruffled your feathers but ill stick with my fass, 100,000 miles and still going strong. time will tell if these pumps turn out to be so great but i guess someone has to be the guniea pig. just my .02
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 AM

The bottom line is EVERY pump will eventually fail in some form or fashion. So pick your poison and enjoy!

Dave
Old 01-15-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 99 24v
im sorry if i ruffled your feathers but ill stick with my fass, 100,000 miles and still going strong. time will tell if these pumps turn out to be so great but i guess someone has to be the guniea pig. just my .02
No worries... no ruffled feathers here. I'm just stating my personal preferrence for a mechanical pump vs. electric. Gear pumps have been around for a long long time... they're not new technology and any guniea piggin' was taken care decades ago. It's just a relatively new application using proven technology. I've used gear pumps in several applications over the years and one thing I like about them is they are a positive displacement pump (yes so are gerotor and vane pumps) and their rugged and simple design.

Fishin' is right though... there is no "fail-proof" pump design. Another reason why I like this setup as it works in parallel to the stock lift pump and will automatically revert back the the stock lift pump incase of a belt failure or the like. Mechanical primary with electric backup... using both technologies for redundacy and reliability.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 PM

Well, my Fuel Boss showed up yesterday. Now I just need to find a couple hours on a semi-warm day to install it.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 AM

big line lit from vulcan

Still works well for me...
But I spend all my spare time on my fishing. My truck's main purpose in life is to get my camper and boat to the water
Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by AirDog
Dare I ask, but what bad experiences have you had with electric pumps? Have you tried a good one yet? Or just cheap ones.
Sure, you can ask. No, I have not tried a good electric pump... just the OEM replacement Carters. I'm sure the good ones work just fine and there are countless people out there using them. But, like stated above, I don't want to mess with them and since the mechanical setup I bought was virtually the same money as a good electric setup, I chose the mechanical route. It's just my preference.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM

take some pics putting it in, im very curious as well. Id love ot run a mechanical pump over electric. they have been in use in race aplications for decades and youll find one on every top fuel car there is. I also have nothing against the electric pumps but the dependability of a mechanical pump is excellent. I bet in 100k miles your not replacing the pump " 3 or 4 times" and bragging about reliability. I bet pump life is well over 200k with proper belt maintenance
Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DMcPherson
take some pics putting it in, im very curious as well. Id love ot run a mechanical pump over electric. they have been in use in race aplications for decades and youll find one on every top fuel car there is. I also have nothing against the electric pumps but the dependability of a mechanical pump is excellent. I bet in 100k miles your not replacing the pump " 3 or 4 times" and bragging about reliability. I bet pump life is well over 200k with proper belt maintenance
I was planning on it, but you know how that goes when you get busy working on stuff and forget to pause to take a pic here and there. We'll see how it goes. It's been too dang cold (when I actually had a block of time to work on the truck) for me to want to get out in the driveway get it installed. I did tinker around with the kit a little bit doing whatever prep work I could to reduce my "under truck" time. Basically, all that really consists of was installing the NPT fittings into the pump body and onto the ends of the check valve. I also made some modifications to the kit supplied plumbing for the installation of the Hobbs pressure switch.... but again, that was only like a 20 minute job.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:40 PM

Install is going to be delayed a bit. I went ahead and ordered a Big Line kit and I'm just going to wait until it gets here and do it all at once. I also ordered a couple extra fittings to slightly modify the Fuel Boss plumbing so that it suits me and is the way I want it.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 AM

Fuel Boss is in. Didn't have time to stop and take pictures as I went, but I can try to get some of everything installed. Very complete kit with everything needed for the install. More than enough hose for the job.... I probabaly have 6 to 8 feet of hose left over.

I made two "upgrades" to the kit to eliminate 3 of the hose barb & clamp connection from the pressurized side of the system. The only remaining hose clamps are on the supply line from the tank and the return line right at the tank. I eliminated 2 of them by tapping one of the JIC tees for 1/8 NPT and screwing the Hobbs pressure switch directly into the side of the tee. I eliminted the other one replacing the factory banjo fitting and Dorman fitting on the inlet side of the stock lift pump with a metric adapter and 90° Push Lock fitting.

Results: at idle 18psi. Anything just above idle (puttering thorugh a parking lot, normal driving, cruising, WOT) is a rock solid 20.5psi.

Quick Reply: Sick of this electric lift pump bs...