Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Shudders with EDGE EZ installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the tq converter is going sounth to me.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that if there is shudder when you manually put the trans is 1 or 2, then it may not be the tq converter because the tq converter clutch (TCC) will not lock in 1st or 2nd gear in a 47RE. It locks in 3rd and 4th only.

I still say tranny issue, and the added power from the EZ makes it show up.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 PM

update: got truck back with rebuilt tranny, triple disc converter, valve body and shift kit. Drives nice without load, but guess what, still has shudder although much more violent with load on now. Bad TC? Def occurs at lockup? Tranny guy now telling me its prob. fuel/engine related. Fuel pressures are around 14 idle and WOT down to 7ish. Not sure what the heck to do now with after spending all the money on trans. Going nuts!

Update 2: did drive after they adjusted some of the new shift kit to make shifts smoother. Was initially shifting so hard you couldn't have a soda/coffee open in truck, would throw it out of the cup holder. Now shifts nice, but still shudder at lockup. Took it thru 1st and 2nd manually without any problems and then drop in D and when lock up comes on it just goes back and forth, RPM's up and down. If I can get it to lock, its fine, but if I try to hover at that speed its horrible. Approx. 45 or so with overdrive on, and about 30-35 with od off.

thoughts? a new bad TC?? or is there possibly shuft kit adjustments?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 AM

anyone have any thoughts on problem?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 PM

My truck shook so bad that I thought the dash was going to come off.
It was the transission. Installed a new goerends trans and the problem is gone.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:26 PM

since the adjustments to the valve body were done over the weekend, the shudder is still there, but its more of it dropping in and out of lockup rather than shaking violently now. Seems like its about fixed, but to me I wonder if just a bad TC. Wondering if I am going to end up getting a bandaid after spending 3k in repairs.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try disconnecting the batterys so the pcm can relearn the shift points?
And may be a new ground for the tps.
http://www.suncoastconverters.com/do..._products.html
Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 AM

I've got the same problem, my trans is new (about 16000 km) and the more fuel I add the worse it gets, but it only does it when the converter locks at a low and steady rpm (1200-1400). I have a good converter that doesn't slip at all when locked and and a shift kit to up the pressures. Truck shudders a little with just the RV275's and more as u increase the fuel with the Quad.

If you find a solution I would love to fix this problem as well!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:59 PM

thanks Maxwedge,

The suncoast fix did the deal!! new ground for TPS and all is well. don't like the rough shifts from the new shift kit, valve body, but all is well now. Back to pulling the fifth with the Edge EZ and no problems. Of course it was just a short 10 mile test run, but obv. no problem right now as it was evident immediately with TC shifting in and out.

Thanks again guys, another fix from this site!! Thanks to Suncoast as well for providing the diagram and fix instructions!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM

oohhhhhh boy, im excited to try this now!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM

my truck is doing the same thing, i have checked the suncoast website and have not located "the fix" can you explain what you did? i will do a search on re-grounding the PCM thanks
Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 PM

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge/drewirekit.html

here is the direct link. Check left top corner of that link and it will have the wiring information. Transmission shop wired for me and did the reset it suggest and all is fine now.

good luck. Let me know if the link doesn't work

Bill
Old 06-07-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by wbaker68
thanks Maxwedge,

The suncoast fix did the deal!! new ground for TPS and all is well. don't like the rough shifts from the new shift kit, valve body, but all is well now. Back to pulling the fifth with the Edge EZ and no problems. Of course it was just a short 10 mile test run, but obv. no problem right now as it was evident immediately with TC shifting in and out.

Thanks again guys, another fix from this site!! Thanks to Suncoast as well for providing the diagram and fix instructions!
Glad it worked for you.

I did this to mine but didn't exactly follow the instructions 100%. All I did was run a ground wire from the battery negative and spliced it to the tps ground. Solder it and don't use a crimp connector. No need to cut the wire as suncoast suggests.

Edit: Sorry, I'm from Toyota and we call the APPS TPS for throttle position sensor!
Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by upersleder
my truck is doing the same thing, i have checked the suncoast website and have not located "the fix" can you explain what you did? i will do a search on re-grounding the PCM thanks
The link doesn't seem to be working. I've saved a copy of the pdf so if you want it now pm me with your e-mail and I send it out.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 PM

PS: Actually the 1st step for anyone would be to just try and reset the apps 1st because your ground connection could actually be ok.

Originally Posted by SunCoast
1. Disconnect both batteries

6. Reconnect batteries.

7. Now you need to re-learn the TPS, Turn the key to the run position, do not crank. Next depress
the accelerator pedal to the floor slowly and release, turn key off. You may start the engine.
The batteries need to be disconnected for about 5-20 minutes, IMO.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:50 PM

link was not working earlier, but working fine now, maybe a server issue on their end.