Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Shudders with EDGE EZ installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shudders with EDGE EZ installed

thought I was having trans problems but looks like fuel issue. Took to trans shop and we decided to unhook the edge and the problem went away. Truck shakes like crazy under load(pulling 5th wheel) usually b/w 35-50 mph, can stop it by lifting off gas pedal.

Suggestions so far were to change map sensor and/or just leave the Edge unhooked and get new one.

Any thoughts???
Old 01-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Is it doing it in 3rd and overdrive if so your lock up is not holding when you take the edge off it goes away because you have less power
Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 PM

yes, I have FP gauge and FP is fine and stable. New filter.

It didn't seem to matter if it was in OD or not, however it did seem like it was up to 3rd when it started. However, trans guy says the lock was locking and not problem. I could make it do it without a problem with trans guy in truck and he immediately thought fuel or map sensor. THat is when I said I had a EDGE installed, we unhooked and it runs fine now, without the nice power though.

Just curious if there are a few things to try that I can then hook back up the edge to see if resolved? I am heading to FL with it on THursday from Delaware and not looking to lack of power response on the trip but at least it would not seem to be major.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 PM

One other important thing I forgot to note, I can only get the shudder/shake whatever you call when I am pulling load. If I unhook the 5th wheel, I cannot simmulate the shake rattle and roll, feel a slight unsteadiness but nothing that I could point out. Very clear under load though.

Not sure if that prompts any thoughts. I am going to clean the IAT and pull the MAP, I assume it can be cleaned as well and see if that does anything.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:14 PM

Honestly sounds like torque shudder.
I would install a lockup switch and unlock it and then take it up the highway w/ ur 5'er and edge installed and see if it shudders then.
You say it only shudders in 3rd/OD?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:36 PM

actually, it must be also in lower gears, as it was shuddering at 30-35 mph prior to the lock up, which seems to occur at 40 mph when the trans guy and I were testing things today.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't mind changing the fluid soon, you should add some thick tranny additive that will thicken up your fluid. Then install edge and 5th er and see if she shakes the same. I'll bet the thicker fluid will up the line pressure enough to fix the shudder.

Or if you don't want to change the fluid, have the tranny guy hook up a line pressure gauge and go for a spin. Report back on the line pressure numbers. I'll bet money they are too low and the Torque Converter clutches are slipping. Maybe take it to a professional tranny shop, any good tranny shop would hook up a line pressure gauge first if shuddering symptoms like yours occured.

Just my free advice so take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Theres a product out called "Shudder Fix"
Its really just a band-aid but band-aids it if you're in a bind and need somthing half working now.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM

thanks guys, will talk to shop tomorrow as I am leaving truck there tonight for service on trans as well as leak in the trasfer case. It is a professional tranny shop, and not one of the name brand national ones. I will see what they have to say. I will report back soon.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 PM

If the guy is a reputable transmission shop then I am sure his diagnoses that it is not torque shudder is probilly right.
It sounds a whole lot like torque shudder tho.
You would only expereince it in 3rd, or OD.
Pull truck manually into 1st w/ the 5'er, then shift to 2nd w/ the 5'er and see if it shudders, ride 2nd until you can't anymore.
Now, once you take it into 3rd (lock out OD) and drive it til you cant anymore and you'll feel the converter lockup, if the problem starts when the converter locks up, theres your problem..

If it is shuddering in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd when it isn't locked up your problem is somewhere else.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which setting is the ez on? maybe give it some more or less fuel via moving the jumper to a higher or lower setting depending on where it is at?? Might be worth a shot.
TNutcher
Old 01-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Thanks guys, I am 99% sure its shaking prior to lock up as well as in lockup. When we were riding to show him problem he was checking to see whether it was locking or not, and on several ocassions I was rattling prior to lockup at 25-30 mph as well as having problem later after it locked up. His diagnosis was engine issue, possibly MAP sensor, fuel injector. That was when I decided it could be EDGE so we unhooked and it went away. He suggested a new MAP and then try EDGE again. Trans oil was very dirty and I am at a loss. Last changed 1 year ago and prob. about 20k on the oil with maybe 7500 heavy towing.

Also, EZ was on lowest setting, whichever that is, I don't have it in front of me to say where jumper is.

Currently my thoughts were get trans serviced with the additive they add, forget name but they put in each time and try the EZ again Lvg for Florida for Thursday with 5th wheel so cross your fingers
Old 04-28-2008, 12:25 PM

UPDATE: Made it to FLorida w/o Edge plugged in and went fine after trans service. On way back it started to shudder some again, but not horrible. Unfort. this past weekend was first trip since returning from Florida in March and its bad now. The shudder stops if I touch the brake pedal which I am told unlocks the torque, if that is true does that lock us in that the torque converter is the issue?

I have been reading about the drive shaft angles and shudders and some electrical intereference on this site, but last night on way home, things got bad with the shudder and I can hear some not so good noises that I am banking on the torque now. Any thoughts?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:04 PM

Could it be the sensor on the transmission?

Quick Reply: Shudders with EDGE EZ installed