Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Should I have more than 36psi boost WOT with M4s and stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With DD5's and Drag Comp on 5x5, I could only hit 30 psi. Yesterday I pulled out my boost elbow and replaced it with a 1/8 pipe plug. I can hit well over 40 now. But It didnt make that big of a difference on the SOP meter.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:58 PM

Hohn,

I have a very similar setup to what you are running. I believe that you live just north of my in WY right? Anyhow, I think our elevations are similar, between 5000-6000'.

My setup yields 38-40PSI w/ Mach 4's and a Catcher. 40-42 with my TST on. I have never touched the wastegate adjustment on my turbo. For reference, I'll hit 1500+ on a good pull with the TST turned off.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, I live in WY-- but I'm spending this Summer in Tampa, FL thanks to Uncle Sam.

I think I figured out what the problem was.

...I need more fuel! NOw where was that TST box??
Old 04-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

well with my setup in my sig, minus the sticks, with box on 5x5, i run 38 to 42 no prob. on a cold night it spikes to 44 to 46. not sure how much more if any i will gain with the sticks.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:45 PM

Your HRVP makes your numbers very different from mine, so the comparison isn't really valid. The HRVP adds a lot more fuel, so you combine that witht he wire tap fueling box and you get lots of fuel.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

got cha. i know the hrvp adds more but compared to my stocker, i mean it wasnt that huge of a difference. granted i could definetly feel a good difference but it wasnt like ohhhhhhhh my gosh! but your are right, the numbers are diff in that aspect.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Your HRVP makes your numbers very different from mine, so the comparison isn't really valid. The HRVP adds a lot more fuel, so you combine that witht he wire tap fueling box and you get lots of fuel.

Hohn, does it go to 35 and hold or is there a little flux then stabilizes? I have a short time of flux at peak. Thats why I asked what your numbers where after I installed the box. Notice most people over 35 have the gate clamped closed and not plugged like ours. I believe the W/G if pushing open under drive pressure. Without a fueling device I think there is not enough fuel to still over drive the turbine.

Randy
Old 04-17-2006, 11:11 PM

PSm with your W/G hole openned up you are allowing more force on the plate. Even with more fuel it will open at a lower (drive) pressure.

Randy
Old 04-18-2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
I took the truck for a spin today with the wastegate disabled completely(turnbuckle).I hit 40 once on 5x5.*SNIP*.Anyway do you think the problem is that I am creating too much boost for the amount of fuel?
The answer to your question is in post #6
Old 04-18-2006, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
The answer to your question is in post #6
Thanks man,gonna ditch the turnbuckle this weekend and see what it does.Maybe I'll get a spring or a wastegate controller.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:37 AM

I just ordered a MBC, so I'm hoping that gets here soon.

jh
Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JH - I did not realize your 36 psi was at Sea Level. I was assuming it was a high altitude thing. Boost sounds low for Florida... but with summer temps in the sunbelt, I find I have 3-5 less psi. than in our 30-40* mid winter weather!

Are you expecting a MBC to perform differently than a closed off wastegate.... in terms of getting max boost?

RJ
Old 04-18-2006, 10:45 AM

kelowna- it would pay to look at the tag on your turbo, it could be an hy, or a hx that someone homejobbied with a hard line. there is a tag on it that will tell you for sure.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
JH - I did not realize your 36 psi was at Sea Level. I was assuming it was a high altitude thing. Boost sounds low for Florida... but with summer temps in the sunbelt, I find I have 3-5 less psi. than in our 30-40* mid winter weather!

Are you expecting a MBC to perform differently than a closed off wastegate.... in terms of getting max boost?

RJ
I'm expecting an MBC to allow me to lower the overall boost that I'm running.

I have no control right now, as I can either disable the WG and get big boost (and be way off the map), or I can connect it and only have 21psi.

I want to be able to dial it in, anywhere between the two, and the JoeMC MBC I ordered (from www.boostcontroller.com) should do the trick nicely at a low price. The guy from Boostcontroller.com was telling me about a special super-stiff spring MBC they are working on for 100psi+ boost applications (pullers).

This unit is supposely good for 50psi or so.

Anyway, the turbo is obviously working a lot harder (and farther off the map) to make 36psi in hot summer air than in cold winter air. Just like it would be working harder to make 36psi in Cheyenne (elev 6K) than sea level.

The MBC lets me run the ragged edge of tuning the turbo to existing conditions and hopefully keep shaft speed to sane levels.

RJ-- the more I think about it, the more I think my boost levels might be about right. The 38psi I got in Cheyenne (high elev) was in upper 30s OAT and VERY dry, while the 36psi I'm getting here in FL is in the 80°OAT range and high humidity.

The weirdest part of this whole mess is the seemingly low EGTs. Even going nuts I can barely kiss 1100 before I have to back off for traffic or legal considerations. The Pyro just doesn't race for the hills like I half expect it to. Could the autometer pyro be that slow to react?

I know I'm getting plenty of fuel, because even at 36psi, I have a nice steady stream-o-soot out the pipe; it's a far cry from a little haze. We're talking people changing lanes and dialing the "report smoking vehicles" hotline.

I suspect that the huge smoke at WOT may be frrom an extreme imbalance of Drive/boost pressures causing a lack of O2 and more smoke. I possibly could see more power at lower boost, but I won't know until I get my MBC in.

The other ingredient I'm curious about is this huge POwerCore air filter. It really does move a LOT of air, and could this explain the much slower rise in EGTs once I get into it?? I'm sure towing EGTs would get dangerously hot in a hurry, but running empty it appears that I have a lot more headroom than I would have expected.

I guess what I'm saying is that this all appears too good to be true, and you know that means that I'm wondering what's wrong.......

justin
Old 04-18-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got you. Mis understood from original question... thought you were looking for more.

I don't know how cool, thinner air at altitude compares to hot, humid, warm air. Your comparison is as good as any. But, as reported before... on any given day... going from sea level to 5 or 6000 ft... I loose about 8 psi boost!

From my expirience... more smoke goes with the summer temps and humidity you are seeing. My lil 55 would be heaven... yr round, if I lived north of Nebraska.... or higher up in cooler air.
Right now (in the 90's) is when I feel the lag and see the smoke. Takes a month or so to get use to it again and forget how great it spooled in cooler weather! Early summer is when I dream of BD's small twins.
For you, not being use to a sunbelt summer, it may never feel right

Now you know (from the smoke) why I disagree with many and say I would not tow regularly with Mach 4's.

Are you stuck in Fl. for the summer

RJ

Quick Reply: Should I have more than 36psi boost WOT with M4s and stock turbo?