Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Should I have more boost? any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I have more boost? any ideas?? UPDATE

Hey guys kinda new here. I've had my 01 for about 4 months now. Runnin stock I was getting about 18psi. I put on an EZ and my max boost went up to a whopping 20. The EZ was used and I didn't get the little boost elbow with it so I ordered an adjustable one. With the screw all the way in I'm up to 22psi. I know this isn't right. I talked with Diesel Performance here in Nashville and they were saying people were seeing anywhere from 30-45psi. If I'm real hard on her 3rd or 4th gear WOT fuel will get down to about 6 or 7 other than that it stays right at 12-15 at idle or cruisin on the hwy. My muffler was rattling so I thought it may be creating excessive backpressure so off it came(darn have to get stacks now!) no effect. I guess I have to check my wastegate now, but with out physically taking it off I don't know how to check and see if it is sticking open. I was going to hook up metered air to the wastegate and gradually give it more to make sure it is opening, but if it is cracked open now that won't do me any good. Is there any way to see if it is closed? Sorry for the long post just trying to get you guys all the information. If you guys have any ideas bounce them off me. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

Well more boost really won't do you much good without more fuel. With an EZ you should be seeing a little more boost than that, but I wouldn't expect the 30-45psi range. Maybe around 25psi or so. I've got a COMP with my wastegate completely locked shut, and I'm only see 34psi MAX and I'm adding a fair amount more fuel that you.

One thing to check for is a boost leak......that may be a possibility. What's EGT numbers reading??

Your idea of shooting measured air into there is a pretty good idea, that would definetely help determine if your wastegate is sticking open or not.

~Nick
Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 PM

I would begin by very carefully inspecting all the boots from the turbo to the air horn. The drivers side lower boot can get sliced from rubbing against the frame, look for any clamps that are moved, or it looks like a boot could be slipping underneath them. I would say you may be a few pounds shy, but it is not likely you will hit 30 psi without injectors. Make sure all clamps are tight, and when you drive listen for a whistling that sounds like an air rush, it will mean you have a leak somewhere. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:17 PM

It seems like fuel is okay I can give a little cloud at will, nothing major though. EGTs are runnin about 800 cruisin on the hwy at 75-80. Can get to 1200 or over at WOT. I know it's nothin like what some people are capable of.

Boost leak did cross my mind. I saw my lower intercooler boot had a 5" slash in it. I put one on from Piers. Is there a good way to check for a boost leak? I'm used to gassers this is my first diesel.

If this sounds about normal please let me know. I don't want to be chasing my tail on this. I just thought my boost would be slightly higher. I'm hopin to get replies from people with pretty stock trucks with EZs seeing what they are runnin.

Thanks - max
Old 03-16-2006, 05:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bone stock I hit 20 regularly. If I had a EZ or VA I would hope to see 25 or more a turnbuckle (boost elbow for you).

Is the gauge responding quickly? That might be a place to look too, before you go replacing intercooler boots. A nicked tube or loose fitting could give to false readings too.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:40 PM

fwiw... when I was running an EZ, I could hit 32 psi on an otherwise stock truck. Boost gauge plumbed into the 3/4" pipe plug in the intake plenum.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:51 PM

You need more fuel. Bigger injectors or a fueling box will increase your boost.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:58 PM

The boost gauge will flat out move. It'll hit 20 pretty quick and then it'll hit a wall. I know more fuel more boost, but I would think that with no boost reference(boost elbow completely closed off) to the wastegate it would overboost. Maybe it is different on diesels but a regular gasser would overboost in a hurry

Thanks - max
Old 03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
fwiw... when I was running an EZ, I could hit 32 psi on an otherwise stock truck. Boost gauge plumbed into the 3/4" pipe plug in the intake plenum.
There ya go.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in the same range as Mglass. Hopefully I will be higher now w/ DD2's, an a HX35/40 and new boots from BD once they get here and I fire her up for the 1st time after the head swap. That is all I have left to do and it is painful waiting.

I did have scrape in the small hump hose on the passenger side so that you could see the white cords. It wasn't all the way thru but I wonder if some air could pass thru. Probably stretching too.

I am plumbed the same as graphite.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:02 PM

thanks for your posts. I seem to be getting a little different responses from people. I'm thinking I should have a little more though. I'm going to dig a little deeper this sat and see what I come up with. The good thing about being a Tech is that you have all kinds of cool little toys to play with and a nice shop to do it in. Thanks for your help. If I find anything big I'll let you know
Old 03-16-2006, 10:17 PM

Your egt's are high for the fuel you have. I'd say you have a boost leak somewhere. When I had a Van Aaken and 100hp nozzles, I could only get 1000* pre turbo. If you are using plastic line for you boost gauge, check to make sure it isn't leaking. A lot of people forget about that. The intercooler boots are hard to inspect when there is no pressure on them, so if you can, apply pressure when you are checking them. If you still can't find a leak, plug the wastegate completely off and see how much boost you have. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 PM

sure fire way is to get a 4.5" pvc plug stick it on the end of your intake hose and thread a air fitting into it use meatered air. Put about 15#s on it (any more and it will blow the plug and make a hell of a racket) spray all charge air plumbing with soapy water look for bubbles. As far as the WG take the little hose off the elbow and use regulated air with a blow gun or something to see when it opens on the 35 you can see the linkage move when the WG opens easily from the front of the truck. I would say stuck WG or clogged air filter but do the other test too. I found a few small leaks when I did mine.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:26 PM

Thanks Cat. I was kinda scratchin my head tryin to figure out how to pressurize my intake. I have a setup that I can use to check my wastegate operation, I'll check that tomorrow. My AFE is new. Just put it on. Guess I got some checkin to do. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-18-2006, 11:43 AM

Okay so I dug in a little deeper today. Pressurized the intake and found very very small leaks in a couple places. Not really worried about that. Checking my wastegate and put about 25psi to it and it didn't move at all! Pulled the linkage off the wastegate and the actuator sprung back. I moved the wastegate lever and it moves about 1/4 inch is this right? It probably doesn't move that much, but I'm wanting to see if it is closing completely. Put air to the actuator and it moves now. ??? I guess the wastegate stuck not sure if this is normal or not or if I'll have any more problems but I guess I'll put her back together and drive it.

Quick Reply: Should I have more boost? any ideas??