Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Should I get an AFE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get an AFE?

I currently have a K&N cold air intake, was looking into a BHAF until I got the wrong one, I now am reading that you will lose turbo sing with the BHAF, I have read a lot of good about the AFE, but I am concerned about getting another oiled filter as my K&N was always dry as the turbo sucked the oil out, does this happen with AFE also?

Also, can I just buy the AFE filter and use my K&N cold air shield? I done see why not. Also shows the AFE flows more than a BHAF, im just worried about dirt getting through. Is this a good AFE filter to get?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AFE-R...47027978QQrdZ1
Old 11-12-2006, 02:00 AM

I believe that the best ones are the AFE pro guard 7, they are yellow and the newest, they flow well and filter the best. That one looks like an older one.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Banned

I'd be scared of buying an AFE off of ebay... lots of knock-offs out there unless it's from a reputable vendor on there. the blue AFE's filter well. I had a pro-guard 7 on my last truck. I've got a blue race filter on my current truck
Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 AM

I can vouch for Quadzilla's monster air intake, they work quite well and whistle nicely, too.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:05 AM

I have the afe intake with the pro guard 7 and love it. I did some research and was told the oil being sucked from the filter is a k&n thing. K&N has allways been a good name in racing. I'm surprised they are bad for the cummins.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 PM

Based on what I am reading, an AFE is the way to go, now, I am wondering if I can just get the AFE Filter for less that $100 and use my K&N heat shield "if thats what they're called" or do I nned to spend $250+ and get the whole AFE kit,

basically I wonder if I can just replace the K&N filter with an AFE and still use the cold intake for the K&N
Old 11-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Banned

you should be able to just replace the filter itself and re-use your housing/tube/etc.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:55 PM

Ok good, where would be the best site to get one at? Also, what is the best AFE filter? I heard a few different ones mentioned.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Banned

pro-guard 7 filters the best at the cost of some CFM. with your setup, it'll probably work great. more expensive than a regular AFE though. the regular blue AFE filter flows more CFM and is slightly louder than the pro-guard 7. I don't know what the actual name for the blue one is. I got my race setup from Rip at sourceautomotive.biz
Old 11-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Amsoil has some new none oil filters that fit as replacements for k&n and are reusable and just blow clean with a lil compressed air.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Does the blue one on the link in my original post look like the regular AFE you are talking about? the blue non-pg7?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:50 PM

I changed out what you want to do.I bought the AFE from Genos Garage and then used the tube and shield from the K & N. The olny problem you will have is that the I/S diameter of the AFE and the O/S diameter of the K & N tube are different sizes. My solution was to buy a small piece of Silicon rubber hose(like that used for inter cooler boots) that fit snuggly over the K & N tube.Bought it from a local hose and rubber store in town.The AFE then fit perfectly over that. Just clamped it down.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 PM

The AFE pro guard 7 i think filters better then the regular AFE. you cant go by filter color though on used ones because thats just oil color if they have been washed. For instance mine are both red now because all I could get was K&N filter cleaner and they use red oil. I also have a regular AFE filter. the only physcial differnace I can see is the old one has cotton filter material on the front and the pro guard has just plastic on the nose. Id get the pro guard 7 if I were you but if you require cheap I have a used regular ill sell you. I'd still suggest the pro guard.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:33 AM

I have been debating over the proguard, as my truck rarely, RARELY sees any dust, and even with my K&N I didnt see hardly any dirt at all in the tube, but I am sick of the oil being sucked out. The one I am looking for is (I think) Part# 24-91009, cause it has the "funnel top". I just found out though that the one I linked in my first post is the 6" race filter, so thats out I guess.

What do you guys think about the entire race intake?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by zfort001
Amsoil has some new none oil filters that fit as replacements for k&n and are reusable and just blow clean with a lil compressed air.
thats nano air filters... I've seen them they look really nice and are supposed to perform great

Quick Reply: Should I get an AFE?