Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

short throw shifter-any info

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 03:14 PM
RJS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:short throw shifter-any info

I got out the ol' tape measure and did some crude measurements. Measuring in the shift pattern "plane", I got a total throw on my six speed of 8 to 11.25 inches measured at the top of the shift ****. I then measured the throw from the bottom of the shift ****, which is 3 1/2 inches long, and got a throw of 5-9.5 inches. So, if you cut off 3 1/2 inches from the shift lever, you would shorten the throw by only 3/4". I don't know what the reduction in movement is for the "Short Shifter" but shortening the shift lever at the top is a lot cheaper if you can do your own welding.

I'll bet if a guy went with the "Short Shifter" and cut down the shift lever at the top, the Dodge would shift as short as my old Miata

Bob

Old 09-03-2003, 03:25 PM

Cutting a BD Sport shifter shorter would be VERY stiff to shift IMHO. As is, it's noticeably stiffer than stock, as expected, but I haven't decided if it's a nuisance or not
Old 09-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Banned

A lot of aftermarket shifters are stiffer than factory cause the use springs (at least in all the gasser trannies I've worked on). We put a short throw on my dad's vette (total throw length from 3-4 is about 1" now), and it was very stiff and notchy for a while. But the more we used it, the more it broke in and the smoother it became. You used to have to use two hands to move it into reverse, now if your not careful, you can go into reverse instead of fifth.