Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

short throw shifter-any info

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
short throw shifter-any info

ive heard a few people have this-any info would be great.how much,and hard to install?thanks,pappy
Old 08-28-2003, 10:50 AM

Re:short throw shifter-any info

I've heard of a few problems with it related to leaks. Most of these problems may have been related to earlier designs. It sounds like there were some changes to the design; maybe it's okay now. It sounded pretty easy to install.

http://www.bd-power.com/ram/shortshift.html

http://216.167.41.9/CoastalData/show...58&CATID=1
Old 08-28-2003, 11:12 AM

Put one on my 01 HO 6spd and did not like it! First install ended up leaking just a little, so I took it apart, re-cleaned all surfaces, resealed and re-installed for no more leaks. It was still very notchy and hard shifting though, so I took it off. Currenlty I'm testing the fix for Rip Rook, so it's back on and I'm impressed with the results. After a little more testing to make sure.... this "fixed" Sport Shifter could easily end up being one of the better "comfort" BOMBS for the 6spd.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:57 PM

I saw one in Tom Meer's truck in Carlisle truck pull. Seemed really cool, but thats all I know.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:02 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Go back and check the previous threads on this subject.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:20 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

fitzer, no the result would not be the same. The BD mod changes the fulcrum or pivot point of the shifter in the box. That means that unless you apply a lot of extra force on the top of the shifter that there is less chance of damage to the shifting mechanism in the tranni. Changing the pivot point means less travel at the top of the shifter and more inside the tranni where it matters.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:29 PM

why don't they make one for the 97- 5spd shifters??? I mean geesh you have to move half way around the cab to get from 1st to 5th I would buy one in a heart beat. I know of three more I could sell. Somone tell Rip Rook to make one up for the 5spd 8)
DM01
Old 09-01-2003, 11:20 PM
RJS

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=7;threadid=18926;start=0#msg178293 date=1062170429]
fitzer, no the result would not be the same. The BD mod changes the fulcrum or pivot point of the shifter in the box. That means that unless you apply a lot of extra force on the top of the shifter that there is less chance of damage to the shifting mechanism in the tranni. Changing the pivot point means less travel at the top of the shifter and more inside the tranni where it matters.
[/quote]

Mexstan,

I posted the same question on TDR about cutting the top part of the shift lever. The downside to this mod would be that you have to weld in a threaded end into the hollow tube for attachment of the gear shift ****.

A few posters agreed with you, that the effect would not be the same as the short shifter kit from BD. So, I got a pen and ruler and did some drawing (easier for me to visualize) and I believe that you would indeed shorten the throw by cutting off a few inches at the top. Another poster agreed and posted an explanation that made sense.

Bob
Old 09-02-2003, 08:06 PM

No argument from me. Yes, you would shorten the throw by cutting some off the top of the shifter. In effect you shorten the "arm". Now take a look at fulcrum points and calculate what happens to the throw when you raise the fulcrum by, say, .50 or .75 inches. Both work for shortening the throw, but which one works the best?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:16 PM

5SPD where can I get one They make a short throw shifter for the 6spds but what about the older 5spd with the 6' long shifter
DM01 8)
Old 09-02-2003, 08:26 PM

dm01, have you tried emailing BD with your question?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:46 PM

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=7;threadid=18926;start=0#msg179812 date=1062552395]
dm01, have you tried emailing BD with your question?
[/quote]
No I guess I could try. Thanks mex
DM01
Old 09-02-2003, 10:22 PM

I agree and disagree... ??? ??? I stand by my man "Mexstan". If the shift lever was perpendicular to the transmission, cutting or shorting the shift lever, would shorten the throw...However, our shift levers are not perpendicular to the transmission, and are connected to a ball and fulcrum piece on the shift tower to the transmission...The factory set-up is already a short shifter as compared to a direct verticle perpendicular connection...If you cut or shorten the factory shift lever, you will have a shorter shifter, but longer throw. What the BD short shifter does, as with most other short shift kits, lenghtens the piece from the ball to the transmission, thereby changing the fulcrum angle and the amount of movement required of the shift lever to travel the same distance...Thus short shifter.

Steve

Quick Reply: short throw shifter-any info