Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Shop for O rings, Calgary AB area

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
dvst8r, I have a spare VE engine head available to experiment on and see how it works out. I probably could put together a ARP stud kit as well for that engine. I have two or three arp kits laying around my garage and old VE engine that some piston damage. Might even have a few big turbos just waiting there chance into get some action.

Mike, that Isky cutter does blocks not heads, it uses the cylinder bore as reference, But it's good to know you have it, in case for some reason (read a couple trips to 2000F+) this head is shot. I bought arp studs for it like a year ago, and still haven't gotten around to it . An extra core block might be nice to practice the o-ringing on though.

So you like to collect turbos too? I have an HT60 and a GT4294, and a HE351v and...

Come to think of it that spare head would be nice for mock up for building the twin set / manifold. As my latest idea, is the HE351v manually controlled, over the GT42, with a custom log manifold, and an external gate, in case the vanes don't open big enough to control the drive pressure. At this point I am mostly just waiting for some +10ish temps as my garage is not heated or insulated and I am a wuss.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
The Guru

You could nice street twins using the 3rd gen turbo and the GT4294 and use the internal gate of the 3rd gen turbo. I would just up size the flapper on that turbo. Cut some steel plate for the turbine exhaust outlet so you can have a smoother exhaust flow from the wastegate. Its just alot less work to build a set of twins with out an external gate.

Ya I have a few turbos T-88, GT4088VNT, GT3588R, GT3782R2, GT3788R3, HX-35/12, HX-40/16, BTH-3B/26, K-31, S-475/1.32, S366/.91, and few more that I can't remember. Most are brand spanky new. I bought most of them when the canadian dollar was par with the US dollar.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM

That is a nice collection.

The third gen I bought was the VNT version. I have talked to a couple guys that are running them with a simple internal wategate actuator, hooked to the vane control. The external gate will be if the vanes don't let enough flow past.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
The Guru

One thing about my collection is its never enough. I'll be interested in how you hook-up the turbine vanes. My VNT is based on an electric soleniod and hydralic pressure. The cool thing about the variable vanes, you can get an exhaust brake out of it. Mix that with twins, that a winner in my eyes.

On my garrett VNT 4088, I still don't know how the VNT will decrease the spool-up as the vanes just adjust/increases the size of the turbine wheel. Mine acts like a diffuser and extends outwards into the turbine exhaust housing. I think a variable turbine housing area would better and would be more efficent design than the VNT. I just don't know how the exhaust is gonna work when the vanes are not fully extended and is only partially extended. The compressor impeller is 62mm size and the turbine is 70mm. Its rated at 450-500HP. A nice size for daily street driver.

My issues with it is that you can't rotate the turbine housing and compressor housing without doing some machining/adjustments on the bearing housing.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM

I am going to attempt to control it similar to this:

http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/for...hp?topic=477.0

and this

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=48106

According to BlackSkyRacing on comp d, the vanes all the way closed cause the motor to choke at almost anything above idle. So he has them adjusted part way open.

My idea to make the exhaust brake work is to have the head of the wastgate actuator that controls the vanes mounted on some elongated holes, with a solenoid attached to the head of the actuator. This way when you flip the switch for the solenoid it pulls / push's it to either end of the elongated holes, and to the full closed (exhaust brake) / closed (drive able closed) positions. I would also like to come up with a 3rd position of vanes full open for light load cruising / best fuel mileage. Seeings that my truck is a toy that I don't drive all that often, that last idea is near the bottom of the list.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 PM
The Guru

Buddy, you might want to hang out with us crazy diesel heads. I have to grab some pics of my 4088VNT, but honestly its just easier to see first hand how it works.

I want to see how this 6.7L VNT works, as I might buy a new diesel some day.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Its too bad we aren't allowed to take apart failed turbos at work.

Oh HEY! you know what. we have the very 1st rotating assembly failed Detroit DD15 in North America in our shop right now. 200 hours on it. #2 rod made a window in both sides of the block.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM
The Guru

Luke, you sending the motor back to the factory? Thats pretty cool stuff. I always liked to see how engines fail. Kinda morbed I guess. I've seen enough gas turbine failures and industrial equipment failures.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love that stuff. At my former company, the company sign hung from a twisted connecting rod from an Ingersoll-Rand KVR.. Hard to describe but the open end of the big end was staked into the ground, the thing was twisted around and the piston rod (compressor) hung out horizontal..

I would like more info on the VNT too.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:58 AM

as far as we can tell its the 1st failed rotating assembly DD15 in North America, they pulled a new one off the assembly line and it'll be here monday.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Buddy, you might want to hang out with us crazy diesel heads. I have to grab some pics of my 4088VNT, but honestly its just easier to see first hand how it works.

I want to see how this 6.7L VNT works, as I might buy a new diesel some day.
Yes, I will have to come hang out. My truck is on jack stands in the garage. This week finally looks like it will be warm enough to get some work done on it, but of course it is a short week and I am leaving for the lower mainland mid week. So if I am lucky I will get the garage cleaned up if nothing else...