Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Shaft Play on a Phat Shaft 62?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaft Play on a Phat Shaft 62?

For those of you who have one of these puppies, can you tell me how much play you have when grabing the compressor wheel end of the shaft and moving it up and down? Mine move a whole bunch, but the wheel never hits the housing.

II told me they are built to loser tolerances to allow more oil to surround the shaft. I just wonder if my boost problems are due to the shaft not running true in the bearing because it has too much play in it. Maybe sometimes it spins up properly and sometimes it oscilates and causes glitches in the boost.

Does your have a whole lot of play in it? Mine is about twice as loose as the shaft on my stock HX35 that I took out at 85K.

I'm still chasing the pot of my problem at the end of my rainbow.

Ideas?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 PM

My B-1 Steriod has a lot of play up and down and sideways but it's fine and dosen't hit the housing, it should be ok as long as there's not alot of play from front to back, then there might be a problem.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
For those of you who have one of these puppies, can you tell me how much play you have when grabing the compressor wheel end of the shaft and moving it up and down? Mine move a whole bunch, but the wheel never hits the housing.

II told me they are built to loser tolerances to allow more oil to surround the shaft. I just wonder if my boost problems are due to the shaft not running true in the bearing because it has too much play in it. Maybe sometimes it spins up properly and sometimes it oscilates and causes glitches in the boost.

Does your have a whole lot of play in it? Mine is about twice as loose as the shaft on my stock HX35 that I took out at 85K.

I'm still chasing the pot of my problem at the end of my rainbow.

Ideas?
My SPS62 is the same way

Randy
Old 01-04-2007, 05:20 PM

Unless its rubbing the housing (listen closey right after shutdown,you will hear it tick slightly to a stop)or unusually noisey,I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie8301
My SPS62 is the same way

Randy
Ditto. When i first got my turbo i was kinda worried about it but it seems to be pretty normal.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Banned

Cool. That is good to hear. Thanks guys. I still have a ever so often jerk and hop in the motor after I cross the 20 PSI mark. If I hit the pedal hard, it runs like a bat out of Hades, or if I baby it, it runs great. It is that middle or the road pedal push than gives me problems. Sometime between 20 and 30 PSI the truck bucks and jumps. It is beyound me. I was just curious if mabye it was the compressor getting stopped by something. The wheel looks fine and spins freely. I need to have the wife shut the truck off while I stick my head over the stack and listen to it. That's would probably help.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 PM

The S300's (HTb2's, Phat shafts, b1's etc.) usually have alot of shaft play side to side....around .025"
But I would make sure you can't pull the shaft in and out...if there is in/out axial play then the thrust bearing is toast usually.

From everything I am learning about the S300....It doesnt last long on a heavily fueled truck.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
The S300's (HTb2's, Phat shafts, b1's etc.) usually have alot of shaft play side to side....around .025"
But I would make sure you can't pull the shaft in and out...if there is in/out axial play then the thrust bearing is toast usually.

From everything I am learning about the S300....It doesnt last long on a heavily fueled truck.
Well, I'm hoping it is a glitch in my Edge model simply becaue it is a heck of a lot easier to send that in for a check up than it is to pull that turbo! Edge said "ya, send it in and we'll test it for you." I though, "cool". Then they said, "and send the harness with it." Then I said, "...." well, never mind. I sure don't want to pull that dang thing. It took me two hours to get it in there. Surely I can ohm the cable out with my DMM and check it. Maybe I can talk them into that one! I have the harness all loomed up all nice and purty like it should be.