Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Serious problems!! Need Serious HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Serious problems!! Need Serious HELP!!!

Let me see if i can address all these much appreciated suggestions one at a time as well as fill everyone in on the latest updates.
DavidTD: I have actually ran the valves 3 times since I replaced the head gasket. That was the first thing that came to mind when my first small knock develped. All the valves checked out fine every time.
hilclmr: First thing I did when I found excess fuel in #2 &#4 was have the injectors pop tested. They were hiting dead on. So no luck there. Now about the lift pump pressure? That may be a canidate after what I just descovered. I just got through checking my timing with no luck. It was DEAD ON. So we thought we'd give it a try and fire it up... well all that was happening was a whole lotta crankin and not much startin > So I cracked all of my injector lines and were not getting ANY fuel to the injectors. As well as some kind of compression loss on the #5 injector ( its actually hissin at me when I crank it). So the task for tommorow is getting fuel to the injectors and checking #5. Im not sure however on how to check my lift pump ??? ??? If any one could help me out there I would appreciate it very much.
98rammer: when my stock head gasket went I was pushin 52 - 55 lbs of boost (Its hard to tell when your eyes are squinted nearly closed and your head is mashed to the back of the chair .)
HeberRam: I really wish you could lay your healing hands on my truck as well. It ,and I, sure could use it. I actually have known guys who have laid hands on a whole herd of sick cattle to heal them and it WORKED! Very impressive! .
I cant thank you guys enough, I really cant, and if you guys can just keep it comming Id really appreciate it!
Scott
Old 09-11-2003, 01:28 AM

Just to throw a bone out,, Did you ge the correct injector washers when you went for the oversize gasket?

Might want to doublecheck that.

Merrick Cummings Jr

BTW,, If you go looking for a block, let me know, I need a block for my 24V.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:33 AM

I didnt change any of the injector washers when I put the gasket on, I didnt know you were supposed to? I dont know why that would create such speratic behavior by my truck though ??? Thanks for the suggestion.
One possibility that has come up is somethin gone wrong with my #10. Its not my idea but it has come up. I dont know if this would cause any problems but maybe I should re install my stock plate and see what happens ???.
Thanks again
Scott
Old 09-11-2003, 09:14 PM

Well we got fuel to the injectors. It wasnt the lift pump after all. It actually was the fuel shut off solenoid That D#$@ thing gives me more trouble ... It was out of adjustment so we adjusted the little tie rod and she went to squitin fuel again. So there is a little good news however we didnt get a chance to try and run it because it started rainin like a cow peein on a flat rock around here . The runnin total of broke down days so far is 5. Hopefully tommorow well find out it was just the solenoid : I guess there have been crazier things happen ??? If any body has come up with any engenious ideas feel free to fill me in.
Thanks again
Scott
Old 09-11-2003, 09:28 PM

Hope its runnin' good by Dyno day in Rockwall. Know what you mean 'bout the rain. We need it though.

Rob
Old 09-13-2003, 01:54 AM

Problem found but not fixed :'( :'( :'( Drained the oil and found little chunks of copper :'(. Apparently I have at least one rod bearing going out and possibly a damaged crank :'( :'(. So were gonna pull the motor , check the pistons, check the crank, and replace all the rod bearings .
While I am in there what can I do to bullet proof my motor at least to the point to where I dont have to worry about doing this again? I am just afraid if I go to boosting 55 lbs again and runnin it hard Im gonna flatten another rod bearing or maybe worse :'(. Also if anyone could give me a half-way close estimate(just ballpark) It would be much appreciated.
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions and encoragement. I probably woulda went insane without it .
Scott