Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Serious problems!! Need Serious HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious problems!! Need Serious HELP!!!

Hey guys,
Well if your reading this and saying to yourself ... this thing looks pretty long then Ive probably alread lost ya, but if your thinking to yourself... I hope I can help this near suicidal young man fix his truck then I thank you.
Two weeks ago I installed my B1 and a # 10.
Two days later I blew my head gasket.
In another two days Cummins sent me the wrong head gasket (not the 20 thou marine that I ordered)
In one day (after a severely mad conversation with a salesman who insisted he helped me by not sending me a marine gasket for my non-marine engine >) Cummins sent me the right gasket.
6 bent push rods and one day later I had it back together and runnin great again ;D.
However in one more day I noticed a leak from the lifter access panel.
In ONE more day I had it in my shop with my grill gaurd and fender off.
In one hour I figured out that the panel wouldnt come off before the injection pump :'(.
In another two hours I rigged a plate to push the panel back and to stop the leak.
**** If youve stayed with me this far dont quit now.... It gets better****
In 4 days I develoed a slight knock that I think I can attribute to a slightly bent push rod that I didnt catch the first time around.
I was supposed to work on that on another 2 days. BUT I didnt make it that far!!! :'( :'(
On sunday (which was ONE day ago for me) my truck decided to die at a stop light 40 miles from home. Well I got it started back up but it would not hold an idle . I limped to the next town with the truck now running fine. It only ran fine for a lttle while though. I started to get a periodic knock. Kind of like a KLACK KLACK KLACK ... and then it would stop. And then it would start again. Well I rolled (litteraly) into the nearest gas station. In an hour when my ride (a gooseneck trailer) arrived the truck started and idled fine... but not for long. In a short minute the knock showed back up. And this time it brought with it a lot of blow by. Not to mention the fact that it got fuel locked and wouldnt start for several cranks.
Well when I went to start checkin it out this mornin ( Monday) the first thing I did was pull the injector lines and cranked it over to see if there was any exsess fuel or water or even oil in the cylinders. Well there was. Quite a bit of fuel was left in the #2 and #4 cylinders. This was not hard to tell by the large mist comming out of the injector holes.
What I dont understand is why is it oly happening to #2 and #4??? Maybe bad injectors, maybe slipped pump timing, maybe improper head gasket seal???
So there you have it ... the last two weeks of my life.
If there is anyone out there who has any suggestions before I check the pump timing, or the head gasket (that is if you made it to the end of this EPIC) PLEASE HELP!!!! ANYTHING!!!! PLEASE.
I thank everyone who made it to the end of this and I hope you can help if not Ill let everyon know if and how I made it to the bottom of this.
Thanks again for listening to my sob story
Scott

Old 09-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Banned

Re:Serious problems!! Need Serious HELP!!!

I don't know what would be easier. Fixing your truck or just buying a brand new engine. I know how you feel man. Last week, put on a brand new fuel pump. Thought the pressures were bad in it, turns out to be my gauge. Second, thought my injection pump was dying. Turns out it was to much pressure at start up. Third, my crusie control only works above 75 mph. Fourth, I don't think my 4 wheel high range is kicking in. Fifth, my tranny is really starting to act up (hangs in gear a long time at WOT, slips, bounces between gears). And my truck only has 41,000 miles on it. :'( I hope you get everything figured out.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:26 AM

I talked to a guy at Abilene diesel and he said the first thing to check is the pump timing. He told me it wasnt the first time he had heard of this. So I guess Ill try that first and go from there.
I also talked to DonM and he helped a lot. Really bright guy. But as everyone knows its hard to diagnose a problem over the phone. He gave me several different routes to go and the injection pump was one of them.
BigBlue: I have thought about a new engine and a new truck and I really considered "forgetting" to chain my truck when I hauled it home on the trailer : :- :'(
Scott
Old 09-09-2003, 10:51 AM

And here I thought I had a bad month. My injection pump took a long trip on a short track.
Now I am waiting on a pump from California.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:02 AM

The bracket/spacer you built to hold the cover on was supported by???....the injector pump???? The thought being, it might have rotated your pump?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:46 PM

The bracket I made is held in place by the stock bolt on the lifter access cover. Thanks for the suggestion anyhow.
One thing I forgot to mention is that my girlfriend fell off the trailer while my truck was on it and got a concussion and whiplash. Talk about a bad month
Old 09-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Banned

[quote author=dsljunkie link=board=7;threadid=19421;start=0#msg182437 date=1063117567]
BigBlue: I have thought about a new engine and a new truck and I really considered "forgetting" to chain my truck when I hauled it home on the trailer : :- :'(
Scott
[/quote]

I was at that point earlier last week. My truck leaks fuel and I have friends who smoke. Sure would be a shame if one of those lit cigarettes were to "accidentally" drop into the puddle of fuel and the truck was to catch on fire and blow up (also have a buddy who's a fireman so he could help me blow it up and make it look like an accident). I'm glad I didn't. Hang in there man. I know it's tough, but you'll pull through it.

Trending Topics

Old 09-09-2003, 04:07 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=7;threadid=19421;start=0#msg182662 date=1063141380]
I was at that point earlier last week. My truck leaks fuel and I have friends who smoke. Sure would be a shame if one of those lit cigarettes were to "accidentally" drop into the puddle of fuel and the truck was to catch on fire and blow up (also have a buddy who's a fireman so he could help me blow it up and make it look like an accident). I'm glad I didn't. Hang in there man. I know it's tough, but you'll pull through it.
[/quote]

Have you ever tried to ignite diesel fuel? Obviously not, its nothing like gasoline.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:10 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

dsljunkie, things sure look blue, but think hard. There must be some ray of light in all this. Surely you laughed at something this last month? :P Share that with us.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:10 PM

Ray of light? ... Well I guess the good thing that came out of this whole deal is that the guy who is going to come checkmy timing tommorow was so impressed with my truck that he is going to do whatever is neccesary to get it running in exchange for a free ride or two in my truck :-. I guess you could consider that a ray.
The thing that ercks me off the most is the guy who lives across the street from my girlfreinds house(which is where Im working on my truck). He used to own the local PHURD dealership around town and ALL he wants to do is talk about how "WE" (meaning FORD) NEVER had this much trouble with any of "OUR" trucks >. I say well thats great ... so what do you reckon I aughta do about this? his reply: I dunno.
Actually He is a nice guy but he sure loves to gve me Heck about how no engine even a diesel should run over 20-25 lbs of boost .
The thing Im gonna have the most trouble with is my confidence in my truck. But I guess thatll come back when I get up next to a "BIG BAD" PHURD who wants to run em ;D 8)
Thanks for all the encouragement guys, and Ill let yall know how it turns out.
Scott
Old 09-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Banned

[quote author=KatDiesel link=board=7;threadid=19421;start=0#msg182665 date=1063141672]
[quote author=BigBlue link=board=7;threadid=19421;start=0#msg182662 date=1063141380]
[/quote]

Have you ever tried to ignite diesel fuel? Obviously not, its nothing like gasoline.
[/quote]

Yeah. That's how we light all of our bonfires. And if I couldn't get it to blow up that way, I'll empty the tank, fill it with gasoline, and light that on fire.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:38 PM

How about valve lash? IF you are having a issue with 2 cylinders then I would suspect valve clearance. Remember when the motor get hot, valves expand. IF they are too tight, a cold motor might be fine, but when hot...

Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:19 PM

If you had fuel in holes 2&4 i would have the injectors checked, dieing at a stop check your lift pump pressure, blowby possibly your valve clearances are out ,did you reset after installing the new push rods? Hope this helps
Old 09-10-2003, 11:22 PM

the flash point of diesel fuel roughly around sea level is roughly 145*. the flash point of gasoline is roughly -40* at the same given conditions (flash points change with pressure, just like boiling/freezing points).

scott, what were you hitting for boost numbers when the headgasket went?

Tom

Old 09-10-2003, 11:31 PM

dlsjunkie...wish I could be there and lay my hands on your poor trucks engine and give it a blessing..Been there done that, in fact the old Heber is finally comming out of it's COMA after the last six months of severe stress ( I put on it) and I believe it will make a full recovery.. Hang in there Dude, it can't get much worst! : : :'( :'(

Steve

Quick Reply: Serious problems!! Need Serious HELP!!!