Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

semi bombed ctd

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
semi bombed ctd

Hi Guys, My ist post, here goes. Got my 96 ctd semi hot rodded last week. Gauges, valves adj.,adv. timing 16deg???, mech ground a no 10 fuel plate, checked overflow valve,was ok. Has 4" turboback ss exhaust cat gutted. Mech. said should gain about 100 hp& 2 to 3 more mpg. Has lots of go power from 40 to 75 mph. Top end is only 85mph on flat ground about the same as before upgrades. 4:10 rearend & auto/ shift kit. A puff of black smoke untill turbo catches up then smoke clears up. Smells more dieseley than before mods. Have not takin it to the mountains yet. Looks like i lost 1 to 2 mpg since upgrades. Driving same as before upgrades. Less mpg perfomance is better, but mpg 14-15 hi way little worse in town.Going to take back to mech. next wk. To readjust or whatever it takes. Any ideas. cts newbeeeeeee. Thx in advance. jerry-d-dog
Old 08-29-2005, 01:57 PM

Is your question about milage? If so dropping the RPM a little will help alot. I ran my 99 at 60 on the freeway until two weeks ago when I change it to 3:54. I consistantly got 21 MPG. My RPM was about 2150 at 60 before. A beter comparison would be our 97. It has a full Banks Power Pack. It is supposed to be 29X RWHP. We have only put three or four tanks through it, but have got right at 19 MPG with some off road in every tank.

BTW put your truck info in your sig. It will help everyone know exactly what it is. There are a number of variances to a 96 CTD.

Randy
Old 08-29-2005, 02:00 PM

Stop putting your foot to the floor and you'll get better mileage.

It takes more fuel to make more power so your gonna get less mpg.

If you want more top end you'll need a GSK kit so you don't defuel but your going to be using more fuel to go faster so less mpg.

I'm guessing you have 4.10 gear ratio?? from your top speed i'm guessing. if you got 3.54 gears you'll get better mpg.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:43 PM

Hi guys, Thx for the quick response. i know if i go 55 or 60 i will get better fuel mileage. Get ran off the road here in phx. That's city driving here. Not trying to be a smart a-s . Anyone out their with similar mods getting descent fuel milage & going over 60 mph. Click on my profile to see mods. Do not know why it does'nt show up in my sig. thx. jerry
Old 08-29-2005, 04:00 PM

you need to put that information in your signiture.

Your mileage will always suffer because of the 4.10's unless you go 60mph. A gear splitter or extra O/D would probably help you lower your rpm's at higher speeds
Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ddog
Click on my profile to see mods. Do not know why it does'nt show up in my sig. thx. jerry
You have to put your mods in the same box you put "ddog in phoenix"

phox
Old 08-29-2005, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by ddog
Hi guys, Thx for the quick response. i know if i go 55 or 60 i will get better fuel mileage. Get ran off the road here in phx. That's city driving here. Not trying to be a smart a-s . Anyone out their with similar mods getting descent fuel milage & going over 60 mph. Click on my profile to see mods. Do not know why it does'nt show up in my sig. thx. jerry
I know I drive PHX to Tucson every week. It take s a geat deal of patience. I did it for two and a half years. My reason is for the VP. But the milage was also a factor. I even drove to N. Cal. that way. It does make for a long trip, but to me the sacrifice was worth it. Like stated get an OD unit if you can afford it or regear.

Randy
Old 08-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

My friend has a 95 w/ 4.10 gears and I have a 97 w/ 3.54 gears. The only difference is top end. We have towed the same size load on 1000 mile trips and there is less than 1 mpg difference between them. We have comparable plates and mod's. He pulls better on long hills but I can downshift @75 and wear him out on the steeper mountains. His truck w/ 285/75 tires will run 93 mph while mine w/ 235/85 tires will run 108 mph. Of course his is a horse at lower speed on the back roads.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:56 AM

How is the AFC?

and what position is the fuel plate in? The 4.10 gears are your limiting factor, and if you want better mileage, id say just stay off of it a lil more, The GSK will help with ur defueling factors, you will fuel stronger till about 3200 rpms, and ur power will be better distributed, a 3000 RPM Gsk is usually sufficient for most ppl unless you are gonna want extreme power, go with the 4K

Tx
Old 08-30-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by newriverSpecon
A beter comparison would be our 97. It has a full Banks Power Pack. It is supposed to be 29X RWHP. We have only put three or four tanks through it, but have got right at 19 MPG with some off road in every tank.

BTW put your truck info in your sig. It will help everyone know exactly what it is. There are a number of variances to a 96 CTD.

Randy
You can get a little bit more out of that truck

Depending, how far forward is the ottomind? If its in stock position it might be at about 290 ish, loosen the starwheel a little more for the lower end, that will help as well, Push the plate full forward as well, and as an option, block the wastegate... anyways, I have my automind full forward and its a difference from the stock position, i estimate mine to be at 310-330 RWHP (with the plate full forward), i used to have the banks exhaust im straight now, and i have the 14cm housing, the twin ram was not included in my kit.. with that powerpack its a really good basis for building power and for towing and using your truck safely, not a bad product, being as mine came with it, but it can be better.. there is always room for improvement.. Hope you enjoy your new ride!

Tx
Old 08-30-2005, 09:30 AM

You could also ditch your 12cm housing for a 16cm housing, you'll loose a little low end and have longer spool times but if your doing mostly highway driving it won't matter too much and you should gain a little mpg. Mostly your gearing is killing your mpg on the highway running above 70mph.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 AM

thx guys for the info. Great website also. Fixed signature , thx, phox- mulder. Guess I'll try a tank of fuel at granma's speed & try not to get run over see if that helps. Got to ditch that stk. air bx next. Later Thx.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by TxDiesel007
You can get a little bit more out of that truck

Depending, how far forward is the ottomind? If its in stock position it might be at about 290 ish, loosen the starwheel a little more for the lower end, that will help as well, Push the plate full forward as well, and as an option, block the wastegate... anyways, I have my automind full forward and its a difference from the stock position, i estimate mine to be at 310-330 RWHP (with the plate full forward), i used to have the banks exhaust im straight now, and i have the 14cm housing, the twin ram was not included in my kit.. with that powerpack its a really good basis for building power and for towing and using your truck safely, not a bad product, being as mine came with it, but it can be better.. there is always room for improvement.. Hope you enjoy your new ride!

Tx
I've been so busy with my '99 I've only had time to install a BHAF. The PO was from Colorado. They require dyno emissions test through private party. The place that installed the Power Pack also did the annual test and would report the H.P. and tweek it a little. Like I said I haven't been able to do anything. It has a tick while running (LP maybe) and a clutch is in the near forcast. Thanks for the info.

ddog,
Kenworth at 59th ave. south of I-10 has BHAF at a good price.

Randy