Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Selecting a Tourqe Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by juzu
The suncoast and all others are good. It all depends on how much power you have that would require a single disc or triple disc. Triple is the safe way and they are all built the same unless proven different. Don't forget the the tcc controller fore prior 03 models. The TCC dosen't work untill late 40mph (bad design), it robs your power untill it works!
Shifting locked can and does break shafts and flex plates!

Correct fluid coupling is the right plan.
Shifting locked is abuse but, impresses those who know no difference.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
__________________________________________________ ________
Qutoe by "j-fox":

"Shifting locked can and does break shafts and flex plates. Correct fluid coupling is the right plan. Shifting locked is abuse but impresses those who know no difference."
__________________________________________________ ________

j-fox:

I don't want to start a transmission "war" here, but the days of letting someone come on these transmission related threads and just make a "blanket" statement like you did above is going to be "corrected" by me!
I see in your signature where you are a DTT customer, so I will take some of your statements with a "grain of salt." The "scare" tactics that started about locked to locked shifts when ATS first released their TripleLok have just not held up! IMO,.....there is no more evidence to support breakage with them than there is with the fluid coupling theory! And your statement;
Shifting locked is abuse, but impresses those who know no difference." Don't "assume" that I am "impressed" and "know no difference" between the two, because I do "j-fox." ATS is no longer the only company offering the triple disc TC's. Other companies that offer them are: Suncoast, Goerend, B&M and Dunrite among others. There are thousands of diesel trucks running the roads, highways and Interstates of the U.S. with the "triple disc" TC's that are using "locked to locked" shifts and they are holding up very, very well! Some of these trucks are towing very heavy loads on trailers, some of them are being drag raced and some are just daily drivers. I am one that is included in the bunch towing heavy loads and drag racing every chance I get. Both of my trucks are well over 500 H.P. and can run the quarter mile in the 12's. Any of the members that know me here, will tell you that I run my trucks very hard but take good care of them. My 1996 Dodge CTD has over 70,000 miles on the ATS unit in it and the 2002 Dodge CTD has over 80,000 miles on it.

FWIW,....several of the DHRA Drag Race trucks are running the triple disc converters from Suncoast such as Jeff Garmon, Darren Morrison and Buck Spruill (Duramax). These trucks consistently run the quarter mile in the low 10's and I believe they will be in the high 9's this year! Scott Bentz's rear engine diesel powered dragster rail is running a full ATS TripleLok Stage V 47RE Automatic Transmission and he has run a 7.68 second quarter mile with that vehicle! So,.....don't tell me that the shifting locked doesn't or won't work!!

Can the parts break? Sure they can! But they can break in trucks with the so-called "fluid coupling" converters or theory as you posted too! And I know of plenty of cases with owners experiencing those failures of TC's, shafts, clutch packs etc. and will personally give you the names of some of them, just not on this website! And DTT does build a good transmission as evidenced by the many guys who run the heck out of them on a daily basis!
But,......so do all of the other companies that have been mentioned here in this post! So,......lets stick to the real facts.

DTR Member "arzie" came on here to get information, advice and help on some TC's for his truck. I think it is best if we all just give him our opinions and stay away from the attacks and "mud slinging" and "personal agendas"
about other companies!

--------
John_P
Old 02-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also agree that shifting locked is fine with the right shafts(billet). And I also think that if you are a hard core drag racer, that shifting locked is the only way to put every last bit of power to the ground.

Eric
Old 02-20-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John P , relax. I wasn't attemping to attack anyone. It was just some info for those who want to set up his truck for locked shifts.

GET the flex plate and shafts.
Do some reading first and see who are breaking those parts and see/ask them if they are shifting locked.

NO automatic trans was designed to be shifted locked. ( as far as factory vehicles).

I did not mention ANY vendors. No attacks were made by me!!
You are attacking my opinion.

Racers do abuse the vehicle, that is part of getting 'everything out of it'.
If the driver/owner wants to put the vehicle in a competition event, do so, it is your to do what you want to do with it. Most should be warned that this is not covered by most warrantees!!!

BTW, I didn't even mentioned triples or single clutch converters.

I agree with cumminsdriver635.

In order to not have issues with the Moderators, I will not post on the topic/thread again!
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

Locked to locked shifts are fine if your trans is designed to do it. The ATS and others are designed specifically around having locked to locked shifts. Thus they can get away with it. I do know several people who have done locked to locked shifting on their stock tranny's and built one's without billet shafts and they've broken shafts and destroyed TC's (stock TC's, not built). It has been proven time and again that locked to shafts will destroy TC's and shafts if the tranny isn't properly setup. That fact can not be disupted. Saying that locked to locked shifts don't put the power to the ground can be.

There really is no perfect trans for everyone. Everybody likes something different. I prefer to have MY TC be designed more efficiently and not rely on locked-locked shifts to put the power to the ground. Not stating that ATS's design isn't good because obviously it is, it's just not how I want to go about putting MY power to the ground in MY truck.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Administrator

j-fox:

I don't want to argue with you either, but I'm sorry,......... YOUR statements which I highlighted in my post (#17) are false "attacks" or irresponsible statements towards vendors such as ATS that use locked to locked shifting!
Lets be fair here..... and say that when you refer to "locked shifting" most everyone on this website knows you are referring to ATS or Suncoast which design their converters for that. You stated that "you did not mention triple or single converters", BUT,......you highlighted what "juzu" posted in your post (#16), then below it make the comments about locked shifting to also include the statement: "Shifting locked is abuse but impresses those who know no difference!" IMO,.....THAT is personal "j-fox!!" Like I said to you in my post,.....I know the difference!!!

You go on to say in your most recent post, "no automatic transmission was designed to be shifted locked (as far as factory vehicles)." Really?? Well in case you don't know it, the newer Dodge CTD Autos have been shifting locked in third and fourth for awhile now.

All I was trying to do in my post to you was give you some "real world" examples of how and where "locked to locked" shifting can and does work and to correct those statements you made. That's all! It is not opinion "j-fox" it is FACT that "locked to locked" shifting works and works very well!!

--------
John_P
Old 02-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by John_P
You go on to say in your most recent post, "no automatic transmission was designed to be shifted locked (as far as factory vehicles)." Really?? Well in case you don't know it, the newer Dodge CTD Autos have been shifting locked in third and fourth for awhile now.
I know they are locked in 3rd and 4th but do they actually shift locked up or do they unlock, shift, and lock back up like the 2nd gens?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:28 PM

To get back on topic I will recommend Dave Goerend. I've got his tranny and triple disc, and I am 100% happy with it. Give him a call, even call the major vendors, too and see who you feel the most comfortable with. You know how the saying goes about opinions and everybody having one..... well it's no different on TCs. IMO it comes down to who will stand behind their product the best. Dave Goerend put in a new tranny for me because of a TV cable that let go causing the 3rd gear and OD clutch to burn up. He was going to just give me a new overdrive section, but since I needed the truck in 4 days he put an entire tranny in. Give him a call and I guarantee you won't be disapointed.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:36 PM

PMs sent to everyone who wanted more info! for Goerends, anyone else fell free to PM me.....
Old 02-21-2006, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by juzu
It all depends on how much power you have that would require a single disc or triple disc.
Not trying to knock anyone or any product but so far a good single is holding the highest HP trucks in the country. So far the triple disc has shown no holding advantage over a good single. Now not all singles are created equal I am talking about DTT here. This is not to say the others aren't good but rather that HP can is held with a single disc TC.

Doug
Old 02-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Doug:

You have been my buddy for a LONG time and one thing I always valued about our friendship is you and I can "agree to disagree" about the auto trannnys! I don't know if you heard or not but Jeff Garmons' Diesel Truck just put down 951 RWHP and I am almost positive that he is running a triple disc Suncoast TC! To my knowledge that is a record for our trucks and for an automatic transmission! I later saw where another customer of Jeff's was able to lay down over 1000 RWHP, but I don't know what type of transmission is in that truck. And you are right,... DTT has built some good stuff, which I noted above, but you know my situation with them and I am not going to post any of that here for obvious reasons.

--------
John_P
Old 02-21-2006, 09:55 AM

Here is what I have and I'm pleased. DTT 89% TC, DTT 80psi VB, DTT billet 3rd gear piston/accum/front servo, anchor/strut/apply level. My tranny is perfect to me
Old 02-21-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
Not trying to knock anyone or any product but so far a good single is holding the highest HP trucks in the country.single. Now not all singles are created equal This is not to say the others aren't good but rather that HP can is held with a single disc TC.

Doug

I for one am glad there is a voice of reason above the triple disk chorus bandwagon.

A TC for the rest of us does not cost the premiums they get for a triple. You'd think we were made of money or the TC's were made of gold.
Those that run high RWHP are good for these forums, but since you are so vocal the needs of mere mortal trucks get forgotten or never heard.
I think a single disk will work great for me. I don't care if it can hold 700hp.
Instead of spending all my money now I plan on saving some. Then when I'm done working that private getaway will be a reality, rather than a rental.

And thats my spout for THAT subject- thanks for listening...

Big Jimmy
Old 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM

I understand what you all are saying about the single disc VS the triple, but when me and dave discussed this very option, he said: "a single will hold fine, for the HP i would like to run someday, and it would work for more HP, but For the lower torgue, and grunt, you need for towing, he said the triple was my best option, He also said, he would go ahead with the single, but it was totally up to me, it just seemed more logical, that a 200hp truck would pull a load just as much as a 500 hp truck could, its just gonna take a little longer to "get up and go"!, now if your running 500 hp to pull lets say 10,000lbs, your ovoiusly, not really gonna notice its back there like a stock truck would. therefor, the power to the ground will be a little less as far as torque goes, he said the triple, would helpwith more contact!, I guess to go back and read this, myself some might seem to think, I make no sense, but, I was convinced before I went with it,{specially riding in Crimedogs truck} and a few others, and I now Know after 10,000 miles, that it was the right choice for me!.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
I don't know if you heard or not but Jeff Garmons' Diesel Truck just put down 951 RWHP and I am almost positive that he is running a triple disc Suncoast TC! To my knowledge that is a record for our trucks and for an automatic transmission! I later saw where another customer of Jeff's was able to lay down over 1000 RWHP, but I don't know what type of transmission is in that truck.
Dang John you love to rib me..... But I gotta say the 1020 RWHP run was held by a DTT tranny and TC.

Doug

Quick Reply: Selecting a Tourqe Converter