Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Selecting a Tourqe Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selecting a Tourqe Converter

Well my right foot has finaly done in the stock tourqe converter. I have spoke with a few of the diesel dudes around town and not one has come up their top two picks of TC that match another. So i need help with trying to select one. I have put in a Van Aaken chip and a BFAF so far, later i plan on doing the injectors and exhaust. My towing duties include the 19' aluminum jet boat, car trailer w/ classic VWs and other cars in need.
some of the suggested are ATS, Suncoast. please let me know what your experiences are to help me stop the chunky chatter on lock up.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2006, 03:20 AM
Banned

I would always recommend DTT, however, they will not sell just a TC. What they will offer you is an engineered piece of equipment that will stand up to that right foot

Being that you are are Washington, and they are just across the line in BC, I would suggest a call to the crew to get an idea or two.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:12 AM

give andré a call @ edge racing converters. A buddy of mine is running the workhorse converter with billet cover in a 12V 450HP truck and it's doing a great job. I ordered one now for my 24V together with the tansgo kit.
Oh yeah ask them why they are cheap (595 usd), you will love his answer

Raf
Old 02-18-2006, 04:28 AM

I had an Edge converter in my truck for about a year. It was a very noticeable improvement over the stock unit. However the fluid coupling is nowhere near the GB triple disk I now have.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:39 PM

I'm happy with my ATS Triple-Lok. But you can't go wrong with any of the ones listed here IMO they are all pretty tuff. Don't know much about the Edge

Originally Posted by raffshore
give andré a call @ edge racing converters.
Oh yeah ask them why they are cheap (595 usd), you will love his answer
Raf
but for $600.00 you can't go wrong if the TC is all you want to do right now. Just my $.02
Old 02-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Plan ahead.We had one that slipped with 2 different single disks in. Put a goerend triple disk in and its all better now.
-RATCHET-
Old 02-19-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the internal leaks are not addressed, then any converter/trans can fail too soon. It is NOT just the converter!! It is the package.
This why any trans shop does not want to sell just the converter.
Ask the shops you call about those leaks.
2nd gear leaks can cause the converter to fail.

Trending Topics

Old 02-19-2006, 09:19 AM

Edited by Admin
Old 02-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
arzie:

Unlike "SmokenRam" I have had VERY GOOD service out of my ATS TripleLok Transmissions in BOTH my 1996 Dodge CTD and my newer 2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve! The unit in the 1996 has over 75,000 miles on it and the unit in the 2002 has over 80,000 miles on it! Both trucks are putting down over 500 H.P.!

You are going to get a wide range of opinions and experiences here on these torque converters. If you are looking for a higher priced unit, then ATS, DTT, Suncoast and Goerend are all very good units IMO. For someone not looking for the higher priced TC's then I would recommend "Pro-Torque", B&M,
TCS or TCI to name a few. I had a "Pro-Torque" in my 1996 Dodge CTD when I first started BOMBING my 1996 and had VERY good service from it! It was in my truck for over 70,000 miles with no problems at all and the only reason I took it out was to go to the complete ATS tranny. I think their upgraded single disc units start at around $550.00. Precision Industries also makes some good TC's.

Here are some links for you:

www.tciauto.com
www.converter.com
www.bmracing.com
www.protorque.com

--------
John_P
Old 02-19-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
arzie:

Unlike "SmokenRam" I have had VERY GOOD service out of my ATS TripleLok Transmissions in BOTH my 1996 Dodge CTD and my newer 2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve! The unit in the 1996 has over 75,000 miles on it and the unit in the 2002 has over 80,000 miles on it! Both trucks are putting down over 500 H.P.!

You are going to get a wide range of opinions and experiences here on these torque converters. If you are looking for a higher priced unit, then ATS, DTT, Suncoast and Goerend are all very good units IMO. For someone not looking for the higher priced TC's then I would recommend "Pro-Torque", B&M,
TCS or TCI to name a few. I had a "Pro-Torque" in my 1996 Dodge CTD when I first started BOMBING my 1996 and had VERY good service from it! It was in my truck for over 70,000 miles with no problems at all and the only reason I took it out was to go to the complete ATS tranny. I think their upgraded single disc units start at around $550.00. Precision Industries also makes some good TC's.

Here are some links for you:

www.tciauto.com
www.converter.com
www.bmracing.com
www.protorque.com

--------
John_P
How much Hp where you looking at when you had the ProTorque converter in your dodge? I'm lookin for a TC that'll hold right around 500hp, but I can't spend 1300 bucks on one. As of right know I'm going with one from a guy on here mainly because the price is right and they seem to be holding the abuse pretty well.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:44 PM

Goerend Brothers all the way! One of the best warranties in the industry.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:31 PM

I also am really happy with my Goerend TC, and cant wait until I can get one of his VB's to throw in. I should have a pretty decent trannny then. I only paid $650 for my single disc Goerend shipped to my door. Not to bad if you ask me. Stall speed is awesome compared to stock. I dont gain anything by locking the converter now. It pulls just as hard in the fluid coupling That said, all the big tranny companies out there do a good job. I just couldnt pass up Goerends warranty, price, customer service, and reputation.

Eric
Old 02-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
SuperDave4X4:

At the time I installed the "Pro-Torque" Converter in my 1996 Dodge CTD my H.P. was at 480. I know that many other companies have come out since then and as the members have pointed out, Dave Goerend is one of the finest! I would not be hesitant at all to buy anything from him. I have heard nothing but good reports and positive comments about him and his products.

-------
John_P
Old 02-19-2006, 07:26 PM

The suncoast and all others are good. It all depends on how much power you have that would require a single disc or triple disc. Triple is the safe way and they are all built the same unless proven different. Don't forget the the tcc controller fore prior 03 models. The TCC dosen't work untill late 40mph (bad design), it robs your power untill it works!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:42 PM

Dave Goerend is the only way!, PM me for mor info....

Quick Reply: Selecting a Tourqe Converter