Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Sealing air hose thru roof

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sealing air hose thru roof

I got my air horns, and am looking at the how/where I want to install them. These are the 29", rectangular trumpet, deep/low tone. I would like to mount them on the roof, but am facing a dilemma, how do I get the air to the horn, and keep the water out of the truck. I have thought of a couple of ways, but want some opinions.
OPTION 1: Try and locate 2 bulkhead fittings, one for each horn, and mount them in the roof. Then I can run the hose to the fitting, and another from the fitting to the horn. If anybody has done this, do you have a part number/dealer for the fitting?
OPTION 2: Run the hose thru a grommet, and then curved to the horn.
OPTION 3: Run the hose into the grommet, and turn the solenoid so the hose barb is pointing down. With the hose flush at the top of the grommet, insert the barb into the hose.
OPTION 4: Turn the solenoid so the hose barb is down, put a longer barb on the solenoid, insert barb thru grommet, then hook up air hose to the barb.

Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned

in the end "3 m 5200" will fix any hole your dealing with.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have a very nice truck, and seem computer savvy, so do yourself a favor and do some cut/paste with the horns in different positions. Generally it has been stated here and shown out on the road that not everything that looks sweet on a semi rig looks good on a pickup. I am not making any judgements here, since your truck has the right paint, antennae, lights, etc. that the square trumpets on the roof could look majorly cool. Just be absolutely certain you want to go that route before you drill the holes.

That said, the bulkhead idea is the winner for me. Try a boat accessory supplier for the fittings. They run waterproof attachments for air horns all the time, in some pretty neat configurations. Usually some sort of flanged attachment, but not always.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:33 PM

I've set the horns up on the roof, then looked at it for quite a while from the front and sides, all I can say is . The wife didn't care for it, " Looks too much like a big truck. I don't like the big trucks."
Old 06-16-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get the problem. Air horns have the fitting on the base where it attaches from the inside of the cab. Just run 1/4 synflex air line to them and back down the windshield post. Do the switch under the dash or wherever is handy. They should have a rubber type gasket that seals the cab.

She will like them even less when you blow them with her right under them....
Old 06-16-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I don't get the problem. Air horns have the fitting on the base where it attaches from the inside of the cab.
These have an electric solenoid to 'activate' them. I know the ones you are talking about, but these are different, the inlet is on the side of the solenoid, not the base.