Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

scratching the stock fuel filter....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scratching the stock fuel filter....

How many have installed a high volume pump set up on a 24v, with a prefilter by the tank before the pump, and just skipped over the stock fuel filter?<br><br>I like the idea of running a prefilter, with the cruddy diesel we get in east Texas, and the expensive pumps these days, but am wondering who has just done away with the stock filter all together.<br><br>The filters can get down to 5-10 microns so why filter twice?<br><br>Anyone?
Old 04-18-2003, 05:07 AM

Re:scratching the stock fuel filter....

That prefilter is probably not a water seperating fuel filter. Even though it may get all the dirt out it will still let the water get buy. That is the only reason that I can see.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:16 AM

Thanks for your reply, and your correct, it is NOT a water seperator, but I wonder how good of a job it does at 18psi, and 80mph. <br><br>So after 60+ views, only 1 reply?<br><br>Andrew
Old 04-18-2003, 09:51 AM

It would depend largely on the type of prefilter, primarily with respect to media surface area. Its fine to have filtration down to those small numbers, but the amount of media must be considered. Too little, and a huge pressure/volume loss will occur, not to mention lots of work for the pump to draw. Most pumps push better than they pull.<br><br>My route would be to use a cleanable screen type inline filter before the transfer pump. Something in the range of 60 micron, or whatever is necessary to provide adequate protection for the transfer pump. I would then continue to utilize the factory filter, with it's larger media area, and water seperation abilities.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:10 AM

I use a 35 micron Earl's sintered bronze fuel filter just before my Carter pusher pump....
Old 04-18-2003, 02:05 PM

Get this,
Racor 30 micron 45 GPH prefilter with Alt. Fuel heater and Water separator and water sensor. the sensor has a guage/Buzzer that warns you if you have water in the fuel and have to drain the bowl, or if the filter is clogged, there is a sensor for that as well. Have the carter pusher pump and reg pump to stock FF

First pic is of a setup I orig. thought up, just to show it better.
The others are the new mountings I did. The filter is in the hollow of the bed up near the cab mounted to a bed rail. the pump is mounted just forward of that on the outside of the frame. You can see the E-brake cable below it.

There is a bypass incase the Pusher fails and it can draw around the Pump. Note the red Handle Valve, It is used to shut off the fuel when I change the filter. It also serves as an Anti-theft device. Tested it once, truck ran for about 30 seconds then died. When valve was turned on, cycled the pumps, and truck started in 30 seconds. Have at least 18 PSI as my guage only goes to 16

Pic of the buzzer warning guage I put in for the filter. Plate to the right is what I make for the 99-02 trucks cubby hole W/o heated seats.

Old 04-19-2003, 07:26 PM

What is the best place to put the pump? I think the closer the better to the tank, but the kit I got from ADT has a 5 and a [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub] foot line. The one to goto the fuel filter is even shorter. Am I missing something? <br><br>This means that the pump will be far up the frame rail and closer to the filter the truck come with. ??? <br><br>Does this sound right?<br><br>Billy
Old 04-19-2003, 08:58 PM

The closer to the tank you get the pump the better. If you got reg lines, then cut and splice, it you got the AN lines, I don't know what the kit is for but my Pusher is back by the center of the tank and that is where alot of others put the replacement pump if they are knocking out the main pump.....<br>
Old 04-20-2003, 01:25 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

You've gotten some good advice, and I will agree that generally speaking, placing the pump as close to the fuel source as possible is the best.

But not always.

If you live in a snow and salt belt, and you tuck your pump out in the open, on the frame rail, you will eventually run into failure due to the pumps being eaten from the inside out. They are not sealed against the elements. I've seen this happen in as little as 3 months.

So, check with your pump's manfacturer and find out what your particular pump has been designed for. Some electrics are designed specifically for long draws from tanks whose inlet may be 8 or 10 feet lower than pump inlet (many agricultural pumps are specifially designed for this application). Another thing to check on is what size of lines the pump has been designed to use. Again, bigger is not necessarily better, especially on the inlet side. If the pump has been designed for a 1/4&quot; ID pickup, and you use either a 1/8&quot; or 1/2&quot; ID pickup, you'll be asking the pump to do more work than it was intended. Bingo on the outlet, however our trucks do not have a free-flow system, so the outlet size is not as important as long as you err on the large size, versus small.

Billy,

The ADT fuel kit you purchased, is it the one with the Product Engineering 4200 pump? If so, don't worry about the 5.5 ft run. PE swears their pumps can easily handle a 10 - 12 foot pull with a 3/8&quot; ID pickup, as long as the pump inlet is no more than 1.5 feet above the bottom of the fuel tank (the pickup inlet).

Rod