Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty or Vulcan.....Big Fuel Line kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotty or Vulcan.....Big Fuel Line kit?

Whos is better. I'm looking into the scotty or the Vulcan Big Fuel Line kits. I see that the vulcan is only 80 bucks, but scotty's is 199(canadian). Who's is more complete? Which one do you think will I will benefit from the most. I'm leaning towards the Vulcan because its only 80 bucks and well I could order it right now, but I know Scotty does top notch work. So I can't make up my mind. What do yall think?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't really comment on the Vulcan kit.

I have the Scotty kit, and LOVE it. Scotty's all about the BEST-- he will hunt down the BEST fittings, the BEST hose, and the BEST you can get. OR, he will have it made.

Note-- the Scotty setup uses STEEL fittings, the Vulcan setups uses Aluminum fittings. Which is stronger?

JMO
Old 07-08-2005, 02:07 PM

Eric at Vulcan machines his own fittings. His customer support is hands down the best I've ever received. The kit is 100% complete. The only other thing you'd ever have to buy to install this is a truck to put it on.

I don't have any scotty stuff, so I can't speak on that except to say he doesn't have many, if any, unsatisfied customers, either.

As for stronger, how much sheer force do these fittings see? Strength of the parts doesn't come into play unless you have the most cluttered engine bay with heavy crap swinging all around. And then you have other problems to deal with.

You'll most likely be happy either way. I dont consider either choice a bad, or worse, choice.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by HOHN

Note-- the Scotty setup uses STEEL fittings, the Vulcan setups uses Aluminum fittings. Which is stronger?

JMO
Depends on what you're talking about... 1018 vs. 7075?... Aluminum. As the torque specs on the banjo bolts or fuel fittings are so little, it's really a non-issue... The only issue (assuming a low grade aluminum) would be service life... If you were removing and reinstalling the fittings 4 times a month, the aluminum would show more wear after years of this cycle... Let's not forget, the body of the FASS is aluminum as well as the factory fuel filter canister... I guess you could even argue potential corrosion due to the distance of the dissimilar metals on the galvanic table . Realistically, I don't think you can go wrong with either and I think each will net you similar, if not identical results. BOTH are indeed EXCELLENT vendors.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I just finished stock piling 500 fittings and all the components for my kits today.
I also include a fuel pressure kit and biodiesel compatible hose with the finest Aeroquip components. I chose steel over aluminum to maintain the largest inner diameter.

Included also is a needle valve and one tapped fitting. The steel over rubber washer is also the best I could find for sealing. Its all -8 or 1/2" hose and fittings from the lift pump outlet to the injector pump. The kit also has 3/8" biodiesel compatible hose with clamp from the hardline on the frame to the lift pump inlet that has my metric to -6 push lock.

Hope this helps.

Scotty
Old 07-09-2005, 11:36 AM

I broke one of the steel fittings that came with my scotty kit. Over tightened the hose. I went to a hyd. hose place to replace it. Aeroquip makes a fitting that would work. Compared the 2 fittings and saw a noticable difference in inside dia. with the scotty fitting being much larger.If you use the aeroquip fitting you might as well stay with the banjo bolt. Very happy with Scotty product and used 1 of the 2 extra fittings off the lift pump when I switched to a Fass setup throu the factory filter
Old 07-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

If the quality of Scotty's kit is as good as his customer service and his drive for perfection then his has got to be the best. Speaking of fittings, I need to get off my butt and order those.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing I will add on the Steel vs. Aluminum is vibration resistance. Vibration at high amplitudes can cause stress hardening in Aluminum over time, and depending on the frequency (how many times per second it has to move back and forth) the hardening can happen over years or hours. Steel can exhibit the same fatigue, but is more resiliant. There is a reason they use mostly steel fittings on Diesel injection system, save for the fuel canister I guess...
Old 07-09-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be biased, but Scotty.....