Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty II vs. Mega Cannon / on HeberRam

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Scotty II vs. Mega Cannon / on HeberRam

Picture 4
Old 07-05-2003, 07:25 PM

Bruce..thanks for the pics!!! Did you do a before and after test of EGT's with your system?? You mentioned, you didn't notice any difference? I'm thinking if you did a test before and after, and you truely didn't see any difference I wouldn't be surprized if below say 60mph, however, higher speeds should have shown a lowering of EGT's ????? Can you elaborate, before I take the drill to the Scotty!!! ??? :

Steve

Dezlpwr...Yes it was my DD pump that "almost" died. It still runs, "barely". No warrenty on those things, had 40,000 miles on it and still don't know what happened. Don't know if it can be rebuilt or not, have to call DD and see. Kat...is yours still running "ok"??
Old 07-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Lon

Hey Steve, If you start making money for the mod between the Airdam and the Scotty don't forget were you saw it first. . Sorry to hear about the pump and what sounds to have been a long week. Lon
Old 07-05-2003, 10:55 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=HeberRam link=board=7;threadid=16691;start=15#156922 date=1057451122]<br>Can you elaborate, before I take the drill to the Scotty!!! ??? : <br>[/quote]<br><br>Scotty isn't around this weekend to address this, but I believe he tried something similar during his earlier air systems development. He wasn't entirely satisfied with the results.<br><br>From my own digging (published wind tunnel tests), I'm not sure how much additional air you could actually get from the valance area. I would want to address 2 things:<br><br>1) The complexity of the routing to get to the airbox area may negate any flow benefits. You may get additional air, but it would likely be low velocity by the time it made it to the system. Probably wouldn't hurt the effectiveness of the system, however I'm not sure how much it would help either.<br><br>2) The feed into the airbox needs to be in the same direction of flow as the feed from the cowl. The Scotty system depends on air velocity to function well and if you were to throw in another air stream in the opposite direction, you may disrupt the current flow.<br><br>Rod
Old 07-05-2003, 11:48 PM

Lon...I was planning on giving you credit if the &quot;dam thing&quot; works better??? I didn't want to drag you in unless it worked perfectly, then the ususal 5% would be appropriate for you!! : : Seriously, Lon did you do any testing before and after??? Comments please, depending on your answer the percentage might go higher..

Rod...I was thinking the same thing, about counter-flow being counter- productive? I would appreciate if Bruce or Lon could shed some light on the issue before I hack another 4&quot; hole in the poor thing.

Rod...As your new member of marketing, , I did improve the looks of the ScottyII &quot;clear&quot;. I painted the bottom half &quot;metalic silver&quot;, hi-lited the raised lettering with bronse paint &amp; relocated my IAT Sensor in the body..I will post some pics next week when I get my camera back..I just made the Scotty Koooooooooooooler..

Steve

Sorry, my brother-in law's name is Ron.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:56 PM

[quote author=HeberRam link=board=7;threadid=16691;start=15#157003 date=1057466935]
Ron...As your new member of marketing, , I did improve the looks of the ScottyII &quot;clear&quot;. I painted the bottom half &quot;metalic silver&quot;, hi-lited the raised lettering with bronse paint &amp; relocated my IAT Sensor in the body..I will post some pics next week when I get my camera back..I just made the Scotty Koooooooooooooler..
[/quote]

Yeesh, some people can't leave things alone

A couple other customers have added a black stripe around the where the seam area is to hide the glue marks. It actually looks pretty good ;D

BTW, keep an eye on the IAT sensor in the housing. I've seen bugs get sucked into the housing, and I'm not if they'll damage the IAT, but they may make it read wrong.

Psssst, Steph. Its ROD. With a D, as in Dawg

Rod
Old 07-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Lon

Steve, I haven't had a chance to do serious testing but will soon. On the other hand the air from the airdam is not coming in at 180º from the vallance, rather 90º and at the base of the filter. My goal was to be able to get cool outside air with the firewall closed &quot;silent mode&quot;. From what I've seen on the drag strip it works great and did not hamper its performance. <br><br>Testing Info: I have a multimeter w/ a thermometer. What kind of info should I be recording besides EGT's?
Old 07-06-2003, 10:13 AM

[quote author=Rotorhead link=board=7;threadid=16691;start=15#157079 date=1057503882]<br>Testing Info: I have a multimeter w/ a thermometer. What kind of info should I be recording besides EGT's?<br>[/quote]<br><br>With the multimeter, you should be able to grab voltage levels off the IAT sensor. I'm not sure if anyone has correlated IAT voltages with IAT temps, but if you're seeing lower IAT voltages with your mods, then you are getting at least cooler air, if not more.<br><br>Something that we need to invest in around here is a good air flow meter. Something that would measure air velocity and pressure so we could at least calculate CFM flow from the system. We'd be able to minimize the variables during our own testing, and would be able to get away with less testing.<br><br>Rod
Old 07-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Lon

Stupid Question Rod, does the 12v have a IAT sensor?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:14 AM

Lon...The simple way would be make several runs, same day, same outside temperture, at say 45mph, 55mph, 65mph &amp; 75mph on same road. Underload would be better, say a grade..hold steady when you reach speed the longer the better record what's happening. Now cap off the Dam air feed line and do the samething. This information, along with altitude your mods would be all I need. This would help me determine if cutting a hole is practical or not....Are you running in &quot;hush&quot; mode and did you cut out the 4.5&quot; hole?? If you haven't cut out the 4.5&quot; hole, don't do the test for me it will distort my readings.

Thanks, Steve

P.S. lon..don't need to list mods, I already see in your sig.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Lon

Will do Steve, I do have the hole in the firewall. Run most of the time with the insulation covering the hole. Except for full throttle runs on the dyno, drag racing and hopfully some more sled pulling. What I was thinking on the digital thermometer was to install it between the filter and the tube going to the turbo. Lon
Old 07-06-2003, 11:54 AM

Normal freeway driving 50-80 mph unloaded 8,000# I was unable to confirm and drop in temps. Towing my 12,000# 5er I saw reductions in temp but I didn't do enough runs without the added air. When I get a chance to do some towing I will tape up the valance inlet and run for a while and then un-tape it and see it there is any change.<br>Bruce
Old 07-06-2003, 12:58 PM

[quote author=Rotorhead link=board=7;threadid=16691;start=15#157101 date=1057507760]<br>Stupid Question Rod, does the 12v have a IAT sensor?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ack. Didn't notice your sig before. I don't believe a 12valve uses an IAT anywhere. Unfortunately, other than EGT reductions or a flow meter, I don't think you'll be able to get much other empirical data from a test.<br><br>Rod
Old 07-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Lon

I can run a temp prob in the hose after the filter, before the turbo and read temps that way. Zip tie the multimeter to my windshield wiper. Reading temps from there should give some idea I would think???? Lon
Old 07-06-2003, 02:18 PM

[quote author=Rotorhead link=board=7;threadid=16691;start=15#157143 date=1057515607]<br>I can run a temp prob in the hose after the filter, before the turbo and read temps that way. Zip tie the multimeter to my windshield wiper. Reading temps from there should give some idea I would think???? Lon<br>[/quote]<br><br>Sure, that will definitely give you some post filter temp readings, although I'd be shocked if there was any difference at all. You're grabbing air from the same source (outside air) so it really shouldn't matter what volume you may be getting from additional inlets. You may want to try and grab a post-compressor read, although this would entail slicing into your 'cooler boot, or drilling and tapping a probe into the intercooler tube. If your post compressor readings differ from one run to the next, then you are definitely seeing some additional airflow.<br><br>Rod

Quick Reply: Scotty II vs. Mega Cannon / on HeberRam