Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty or AFE

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotty or AFE

What is better The Scotty or AFE? I'm talking about the AFE KIT With cone type filter kit. I was wondering because the AFE seems to cost more.<br>Thanks,<br> Scooter
Old 04-29-2003, 05:43 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Scotty or AFE

The Scotty System pulls cooler air from outside the engine compartment. The others draw underhood air.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:14 AM

Scotty ;D
Old 04-29-2003, 08:42 AM

[glow=blue,4, 300]The Scotty Box with the AFE Filter.[/glow]<br><br>This gives you the Best Of Both Worlds. The Standard filter used in the Scotty Air Boxes is AFE. Also the Scotty Boxes use the LONG Cone Filter... Kurt
Old 04-29-2003, 08:48 AM

I have replaced two AFE Mega Cannons with Scotty 2 boxes and there is more than 100 deg EGT drop from the Scotty 2. I have said it before and will again it make no sense to me to suck hot under hood air into the turbo and then try to cool it with the intercooler. ??? : <br><br>Go for the COOoooOOOooooOOOOOL Air = SCOTTY 2
Old 04-29-2003, 09:03 AM

[quote author=drawson link=board=7;threadid=14160;start=0#133137 date=1051624096]<br>I have said it before and will again it make no sense to me to suck hot under hood air into the turbo and then try to cool it with the intercooler. ??? : <br><br>Go for the COOoooOOOooooOOOOOL Air = SCOTTY 2<br>[/quote]<br><br>Drawson is right on!<br><br>Ive been saying this for Two years ever since the BHAF Craze.... You should see the Charge air Temps shoot up especialluy when towing heavy and your Radiator and Intercooler raise the under hood air temps by 70-100+.<br><br>Then the turbo multiplies this temp by 200-400%<br><br>You should fight for the Lowest Temp every step off the way. the Biggest and easiest diff is the Filter Intake.<br><br>the Under hood temps still make a difference when all your In take air is drawn from outside. If all of the componets are warm as in the Air Box, Tubing, Turbo housings etc... Some of this temp is tranfered to the charge air. <br><br>So it helps to shield the Engine/exhaust heat from the entire air intake system.<br><br>Sorry to run on alittle but Ive been preachin this for ever (It seems)... ;D ;D
Old 04-29-2003, 11:22 AM

What about driving in winter in a cold climate? Do I want to be pulling in really cold air? <br><br>If not, at what temp would you want to start using warm, under the hood air?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Tackett<br><br>[quote author=KwikKurt link=board=7;threadid=14160;start=0#133141 date=1051624992]<br>Ive been saying this for Two years ever since the BHAF Craze.... You should see the Charge air Temps shoot up especialluy when towing heavy and your Radiator and Intercooler raise the under hood air temps by 70-100+.<br><br>Then the turbo multiplies this temp by 200-400%<br><br>You should fight for the Lowest Temp every step off the way. the Biggest and easiest diff is the Filter Intake.<br><br>the Under hood temps still make a difference when all your In take air is drawn from outside. If all of the componets are warm as in the Air Box, Tubing, Turbo housings etc... Some of this temp is tranfered to the charge air. <br><br>So it helps to shield the Engine/exhaust heat from the entire air intake system.<br><br>Sorry to run on alittle but Ive been preachin this for ever (It seems)... ;D ;D<br>[/quote]
Old 04-29-2003, 01:40 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Tackett link=board=7;threadid=14160;start=0#133201 date=1051633379]<br>What about driving in winter in a cold climate? Do I want to be pulling in really cold air? <br>[/quote]<br><br>Absolutely. The Scotty system was developed in the Frozen North, and has seen extensive use in -40F weather. You always want the absolute coldest air you can stick into the turbo, especially if you are heavily modified or pulling heavy.<br><br>Rod
Old 04-29-2003, 01:50 PM

I second that! Man this winter was cold we saw weeks straight at - 40 degreese.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:09 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Most big rigs have an external canister that draws in the cold air...they do not alter them up here even when its -40000F<br> <br><br>Some have a snorkel above the cab that pulls in the outside air and even your factory system pulls in from the outside for most of air.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:20 PM

Will having a winter front on negate the positive effects from the Scooty III (3)?? Or is it pulling air from underneath the truck? How bout mud and water getting sucked in. Is there a chance of that? Finally got the 'go ahead' from the wife to get the Scotty III :-*
Old 04-29-2003, 02:23 PM

Lets swing this the other way. Here in the central vally(California) where I have seen 114* in the summer. Just imagine what the temp of the engine compartment is like. Its hot!!!!!! With drawing the air from outside you are using the coolest air possible and large amounts of it.<br> <br>Rick
Old 04-29-2003, 03:38 PM

the scotty worked awsome for me this winter at -30 I couldn't break 900 degrees on the egt no matter how long I held my foot in it <br><br>and the egt's sure came down real quick too .........
Old 04-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=PADZZ link=board=7;threadid=14160;start=0#133274 date=1051644008]<br> Will having a winter front on negate the positive effects from the Scooty III (3)?? Or is it pulling air from underneath the truck? How bout mud and water getting sucked in. Is there a chance of that? Finally got the 'go ahead' from the wife to get the Scotty III :-*<br>[/quote]<br><br>So far no negative reports on the water. I have not had the 03 Ram but I am certain that Rod has experienced Rain and snow with it.<br>A winter front will not impede it a lot as it still draws air from the factory inlet too.<br><br>I have seen factory air boxes filled with snow, and water sitting at the bolts in the bottom on the 2nd generation Ram air box.<br>That stuff can get in if it wants too.<br>I hope to get some feedback from Rod and the testers out there.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:56 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=PADZZ link=board=7;threadid=14160;start=0#133274 date=1051644008]
Will having a winter front on negate the positive effects from the Scooty III (3)?? Or is it pulling air from underneath the truck? How bout mud and water getting sucked in. Is there a chance of that? Finally got the 'go ahead' from the wife to get the Scotty III :-*
[/quote]

My winter front didn't seem to negate any of the effects of running the Ram Air 3. Our air up here was just plain cold though this winter, however I still had better turbo spoolup and EGTs appear to about the same as they currently are.

On the mud front, I beat down some roads this spring specifically to try and fill the air box with mud, and couldn't get anything into the unit itself, although if you did get mud in it, you'd simply need to remove the unit and clean it.

On the rain side, the turbulence as the rain passes through the grill appears to atomize it. Any larger drops are shed by the oiled filter, and the finer stuff passes through the filter into the turbo, where its superheated by the compressor and sent through the cooler into the manifold as nothing more than simple humid air, which actually increases the cooling effect.

I suspect if you were driving with the airbox submerged, or if you sprayed the unit with a hose while at a stand still, that you may have an issue, but plain old driving rain isn't going to harm anything.

Rod