Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty 2 VS. BHAF in Dusty Conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotty 2 VS. BHAF in Dusty Conditions?

I'm thinking about swapping my BHAF for a scotty. The only concern is I drive in dusty conditions alot (you know how west texas is). Is the Scotty as good at protecting the engine as the BHAF? Also, how loud is it towing? My BHAF is not that loud so I wouldn't mind it being a little louder, just dont want it obnoxious. Cant you block the cowl hole when towing?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caleb c.
I'm thinking about swapping my BHAF for a scotty. The only concern is I drive in dusty conditions alot (you know how west texas is). Is the Scotty as good at protecting the engine as the BHAF? Also, how loud is it towing? My BHAF is not that loud so I wouldn't mind it being a little louder, just dont want it obnoxious. Cant you block the cowl hole when towing?
I do not have a Scotty, but it is on the list. The Uni filter is used by dirt bikes and desert runners. I have not heard one, so I cannot comment on noise. You can block off the cowl hole, but might not see the same EGT reduction.

Since when is Lampasas in West Texas? I would say Central Texas.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:32 AM

West Texas, huh? Anywhere near San Angelo?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:48 AM

I do know W. Texas well .... and I drive my share of dirt/gravel, FM & cty roads!
- My Scotty II never leaves dust of debris in the intake tube.
- The Scooty will flow more air... and cooler, outside air!
- If it's too loud, you can cover the hole and still get "stock" level of air intake. Plenty for towing.
- Never used a BHAF, but had an under the hood Cone Filter before the Scotty. I find I traded air suction noise (cone) for turbo whine (Scotty), which, to me, is less irritating.

How loud is "obnoxious"? Depends on your hearing and that of your passengers. One man's "obnoxious" is another man's "just right". Passengers hear it a lot more than the driver!
I keep a piece if plastic, cut to size, to slide over the hole in the cowl..... just in case needed.

The Scotty is less expensive than most and gives enough air for 600+ hp., with EGT's lower than most. I Love mine.

RJ
Old 04-16-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Double filter the Scotty with one of these http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...D=1704&CATID=1

I thought it may be restrictive but not at all, plus it keeps dust out of your cab.
Just squirt it with a hose to clean.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:52 PM

Oh my bad, I didn't clarify, I'm going to school in Levelland, just west of Lubbock. And I have some other ranching endeavors in other parts of west texas, so I need something to filter the fine dust as well as the BHAF has.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:21 PM

Oh my bad, I didn't clarify, I'm going to school in Levelland, just west of Lubbock. And I have some other ranching endeavors in other parts of west texas, so I need something to filter the fine dust as well as the BHAF has.
Levelland huh? I will keep a look out for you when driving around town.