Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Schied or F1 Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point wanna12v
It would be nice to here from more guys that have done the cam swap after they have done the rest of their mods to really see what the difference was. I have heard manafactures claims of 20-30% faster spool-up so if that was the case the SOTP meter would for sure feel improvements this large.EGT reductions are another big claim, any one do a cam swap and notice large EGT drops(100-200degrees)? It would suck to go thru all the work and effort to swap a cam and only net marginal differences?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is what i am concerend about, going through all the money (to advanced for me to install) about 1200 bucks only to get marginal gains in improvment. I am wondering if it would be worth the money to do such an upgrade. Will a cam lower EGTs when running down the road at highway speeds. Right now going down the road at 75mph on a flat grade, i am running about 5-7psi of boost and temps between 800 and 900. Would a cam lower those temps to say someplace between 600 and 700. I would like to see them a little bit lower. Thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 06:21 PM
DTR Advertiser

The cam wont add much if any PEAK HP at your power and modification level.

The primary reasons for a cam are: faster turbocharger spooling, lower EGT all the way around. Peak EGT with a drag COMP wont be much lower because of the late fueling of the COMP, but most report to me an average of 200 degrees. Cruise EGT seems to drop 100 degrees.

Smoke is greatly reduced. Mostly from the lift and duration of the Helix cam intake lobe helping to get more air into the engine. This is why many report a loss in peak boost numbers. The engine is actually processing much more of the boost charge on the intake side. This extra air incoming is also helped outgoing by a lift and duration change on the exhaust side.

Cams help round out the usuable power. Anyone that tows or has a large single turbo, should have a cam!!
Old 07-30-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Don M
The cam wont add much if any PEAK HP at your power and modification level

Cams help round out the usuable power. Anyone that tows or has a large single turbo, should have a cam!!

Hey Don
What about in my situation with a 35/14-3B combo, stock DVs in the 215 pump and a set of DDP 4s with a 89%DTT converter
Will there be any noticable gains in spool-up and smoke reduction? It spools pretty quick as is but would hate to go thru the effort and wonder if I really noticed any gains or?? Any one else do the swap feel free to enlighten me
Old 07-30-2006, 10:14 PM
The Guru

I'm running a PDR 24v 2nd gen new design camshaft. Its pretty sweet, I like it. It sounds like a 12v, no more clanky clank sound. The spool-up is pretty sweet. More HP, who knows. Lower egt's, I have no clue. My spool-up is just about as fast as a stock 35 turbo and everyone know how slow HX40 spool. If I was too build another truck this cam would be in it. The engine idle sound is so smooth and the same goes for the power/torque band is pretty smooth. My stock cam one of the lobes was going flat, good old Brazilian steel forging. If your gonna buy a new cam buy a billet grind with a 12v lift pump lobe on it. Any of these cam vendors mentioned so far have top notch products so your not gonna waste any money. I think an aftermarket cam just helps to round out your package and make all of your parts work better together.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:34 PM

Another 2 bits. I would have liked to have done a "before and after" research project on the mods. Time simply did not allow for it.

However I have two "data points" to offer following the cam install:
Before the twins with stock turbo: sitting in the drive, tranny in park, truck would make 18 psi boost. The stock cam would not make boost with the stock turbo on my truck.

With the twins: sitting in the drive, tranny in park, truck will make just less than 5 psi.
My "scientific conclusion" says this cam moves air very efficiently. I also saw 1.5 mpg increase and 100* drop in temps before the twins. Some of the temp decrease can be attributed to the intercooler obviously.

Post twins / TST / EZ fuel economy is a bit down.....

Chance to do it all over again in terms of cam choice - no changes! Recommend this cam to others - you betcha.

Have fun!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the replys guys, it helps alot. The fact that you would buy one again speaks loudly.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by ratsun
Thanks for the replys guys, it helps alot. The fact that you would buy one again speaks loudly.
I've bought 2 now, and will have bought another F1 cam by the time I'm done on this chassis.

I don't think we see the dyno sheets before/after on the cam swaps since it's such a pain to swap these cams. It took ~8 hours longer than we expected on Matt's truck. The front end of the truck literally needs to come off to get the cam out. When you have the truck that far apart, you tend to finish the modifications.

However, we have two '98 auto trucks, one with a factory cam and one with an H2. If someone wants to put up two identical chargers and 2 sets of identical injectors & ppumps, I'll gladly dyno each of them.

brandon.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
I coulda swore I already had a cam and mine is all stock. Hmm.. how much power are we making with stock cams?? Put the money somewhere else IMO.