Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Schied or F1 Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schied or F1 Cam?

I am thinking about putting a cam in my truck, I am not sure what brand to go with, either Schied or F1. I do not know to much about them, i have been told that the Schied cam has better driveability. Just looking for some input from anyone that has one or knows info about them that could help me out. Thanks for your time
Old 07-28-2006, 07:35 PM

I was calling around to get specs on cams for a truck were building. (p pumped 24v) And no one is willing to give specs on cams so you can't compare them to eachother. this would be unheard of in the gas world where you know exactly what your getting. But from the sounds of it a helix 2 is a good cam. Ground from blank, harder than stock. will help spoolup/egt's will extend you power band. you don't have to fly cut pistons, but upgraded valve springs are recomended. that's really all your going to get info wise out of anybody or that's all i could get.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:39 PM

that is interesting, thanks for the advice. I wish there were some more info on them because i want to make the right choice. I new that spool up and reduced egts would be better with an aftermarket cam, i was curious about how much longer they extended your power band ect.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 PM

pdw states the helix 2 makes power too 4000 but they may be talking about the 12v version. and I seriously doubt that. it may make more comparitevly to stock but a cam that'll make good power at 4000 isn't going to run well on the bottom and is going to require enough lift to require fly cuts. either way though you don't need that many rpm's. it'll prolly make good power to about 3500 wich is all your going to turn with you mods anyway. I think that would be your best bet however.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:55 PM

thanks again for the advice, Do the cams make the trucks lope at idle? Like some of the higher Hp trucks, or is that just from alot of timing, thanks again
Old 07-28-2006, 08:00 PM

the timing plays the largets part however duration on the cam is a factor im sure. but those trucks make peak power at 5000+ rpm's a hot street truck with a street cam isn't going to lope (even though we would all like it to ) however a hrvp can make it idle funny and lope
Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 PM

I've got the F1 Helix 2 in my truck. So far so good. No lope, and I am running stock valve springs. Future plans call for a ported and polished head with orings so I'll do F1 valve springs, etc then. Not noticing any major powr gains yet, but haven't really driven it at all this week.....just put it in this past weekend. One of my main excuses to do this was the lobes to run the 12 valve mechanical lift pump.....40 psi at idle.... . It does seem my fuel economy has improved although I haven't put to the calculator yet....just from gauge watching. Egt's are good, but they've never been an issue on my truck.

The Helix 3 is supposed to be for more extreme power and does require the new valve springs. I would guess (caveat: I really don't know), but I'd guess that Scheids would be more close to this one. Scheid seems like most everything they build is more to the extreme side of power enhancement.....I didn't research theirs, just guessing by the other stuff they do. I would be surprised if Scheids is more streetable though. I would think theirs might even give you a little lope.....I know their HRVP does.

Anyway, thats my experience so far. I'm probably not getting the full potential until I do the head. Runs smooth though. Only pulse is from the mechanical fuel pump....pretty cool actually.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the info Tiger Rag. Did you notice any better spool up of your twins with the new cam? What will adding the new valve springs allow you to do with this cam, just turn more RPMs? Thanks
Old 07-28-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by CTD2001
Thanks for the info Tiger Rag. Did you notice any better spool up of your twins with the new cam? What will adding the new valve springs allow you to do with this cam, just turn more RPMs? Thanks
Yep, RPM's. I'm supposed to keep it below 3100 or so for now. That shouldn't be too big of a deal. Spool up was nearly instantaneously with the BD twins and the Smarty anyway so I don't really know. Two of the main benefits of this cam (spool and egt reduction) were not issues for me. It is also supposed to reduce boost pressure. I don't know on that one yet, I haven't run it very hard to date.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:25 AM

It certainly pays to do thorough research on this. Talk with Pourindiesel, as he has run both versions.

My two bits says Helix 2 with springs.

One other noteworthy item: for the 2nd gen 24 valve trucks the Helix cams come with the mechanical pump lobe. You can ditch all manner of electrical lift pumps and get a mechanical one.

Also, diesel cams will not give you lope as a performance cam in a gasser will. Totally different operational scenarios at play. The only way to get lope in a diesel that I am humbly aware of is to put larger injector tubes in one with an auto tranny.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
Yep, RPM's. I'm supposed to keep it below 3100 or so for now. That shouldn't be too big of a deal. Spool up was nearly instantaneously with the BD twins and the Smarty anyway so I don't really know. Two of the main benefits of this cam (spool and egt reduction) were not issues for me. It is also supposed to reduce boost pressure. I don't know on that one yet, I haven't run it very hard to date.
And I thought you had spent all you $$ on the twins Are you trying to catch Tim or something??
Old 07-29-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wana12v
I was calling around to get specs on cams for a truck were building. (p pumped 24v) And no one is willing to give specs on cams so you can't compare them to eachother. this would be unheard of in the gas world where you know exactly what your getting. But from the sounds of it a helix 2 is a good cam. Ground from blank, harder than stock. will help spoolup/egt's will extend you power band. you don't have to fly cut pistons, but upgraded valve springs are recomended. that's really all your going to get info wise out of anybody or that's all i could get.

Great thread! I hope more of the cam owners will chime in on this one. I have also been on the fence about what cam to buy PDR/Helix
The only info I have on PDRs new cam is its close to the same specs as the one Piers ran in his 3rd gen but it would sure be nice to hear from some of the guys that have experience with the different cams. I am sure from the feedback on this board that the F1 stuff is first rate but I can buy a NEW (not regrind) PDR cam and lifters for roughly half what a F1 will cost me so unless F1 is going to have a Sale on 12v cams soon than for me it doubt it would be worth that much extra money.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by wana12v
pdw states the helix 2 makes power too 4000 but they may be talking about the 12v version. and I seriously doubt that. it may make more comparitevly to stock but a cam that'll make good power at 4000 isn't going to run well on the bottom and is going to require enough lift to require fly cuts. either way though you don't need that many rpm's. it'll prolly make good power to about 3500 wich is all your going to turn with you mods anyway. I think that would be your best bet however.
My Helix 2 makes serious power well over the 4000+ range. The truck will run from 95 to 120mph before you can blink twice. I'll bet money that the dyno will show a flat powerband to 4200.

brandon.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
And I thought you had spent all you $$ on the twins Are you trying to catch Tim or something??
Can't catch Tim when he's doing your work......he's not going to give all his secrets away. I'm just trying to make my truck respectable.....so far, no good.....still trying.......
Old 07-30-2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by joefarmer
My Helix 2 makes serious power well over the 4000+ range. The truck will run from 95 to 120mph before you can blink twice. I'll bet money that the dyno will show a flat powerband to 4200.

brandon.
a truck with stock cam and high timing+4k's will do this as well. what id like to have seen would be your truck dyno then add the cam and dyno again. no change in timing or anything. the stock cam is only making good power till about 2200 a marine till about 2800-3000. it would take quite a cam to make good power at 4000 and if the helix 2 does whats the 3 for 5000+ with no flycuts due to extreme lift? only a dyno will tell the tale. and i may be wrong. cams are like the new twins. you can get twins anywhere now and info on good setups is everwhere. but no one will give out their cam info (lift, duration, lobe seperation, ect..) but in a gasser you would not run into this

Quick Reply: Schied or F1 Cam?