Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

SBC Dual Disc Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SBC Dual Disc Pics

Dual ceramic disc clutch fresh off the UPS truck!!!!!!!!!

http://www.texasdieselworks.com/sbcdualdiscpics/

Old 04-11-2003, 04:20 PM

Re:SBC Dual Disc Pics

Hard to tell from the pics, are there any springs on the 2 clutch disc's to help dampen the torsinal vibration?
Old 04-11-2003, 05:28 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy Cow!! Peter appears to be using the same exact pucks that Joe has been using on his clutch for 3 years. Even the same manufacturer!! When I downloaded the first pics I thought it was a joke at first. The disk looked like mine at a glance.

I seem to remember that Peter was saying the pucks that Joe used were cheap 6 dollar jobs and inferior to his facing. Now he is using them ???

Don~
Old 04-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don....<br><br>You are a riot. You think you can tell by a picture? There are ten different manufacturers of buttons. Besides, Joe uses 6 buttons total. I am using twice that on one side of one disc. Add it all up and I am using 48 buttons, not 6. Let alone using torque bands and pounds per square inch and weight and applications. This clutch was built to do what my single disc clutch never had a hope to do, or Joe's for that matter. Again Don, you are not comparing apples to apples. I did not use the high dollar feramic for a couple of reasons, one is weight, and two, this clutch was designed to be slipped. <br><br>Please stop thinking that you got something when you really are not sure what you are talking about, Two different applications and two different reasons for designs.<br><br>Peter
Old 04-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Rebel,<br><br>No, there are not dampening springs in the clutch disc's. Not enough room to do it. We figured if you have enough power to require a double disc, you are not that concerned about the damage being done to your truck anyway. <br><br>Peter
Old 04-11-2003, 06:34 PM
DTR Advertiser

Peter,<br><br>So, the pucks are NOT Miba pucks? Are you saying they are NOT made by Miba? The pucks on that clutch of Marks appear to be the exact same size and shape as mine are.<br><br>Don~
Old 04-11-2003, 07:02 PM

i know it is serious but, since im a good boy on here i got a laugh out of gonzo ...sorry buddy ........scott
Old 04-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Gonzo:
&quot;Step away from the keyboard, and nobody'll get hurt.&quot; ;D

Old 04-11-2003, 07:21 PM
DTR Advertiser

Im not trying to stir it up tonight. Im tired from a hard day, and sat down to read the posts. When I saw that disk of Peters and those pucks on it, I thought I was looking at mine.<br><br>Peter,<br><br>Are they Miba pucks or not? Like I said in the earlier post &quot;they appeared to be&quot; NOT they &quot;were&quot; or &quot;are&quot;<br><br>If I was wrong and they are not Miba, please except my apologies.<br><br>Don~<br><br>
Old 04-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Don,<br><br>I gotta laugh!! So you are saying that Joe is now using buttons that are only 1 1/2&quot; wide on a Sach's pressure plate casting that is 4 1/2&quot; wide? I guess all thoughs phone calls he made to me started making sence to him. I guess we can now call it the re re re re re re engineered clutch. All kidding aside, if your clutch has a band of buttons around the outer edge of the disc only 1 1/2&quot; wide then he is moving in the right direction. Now you have to double it with the clutch Mark posted pictures of.<br><br>The buttons are Meba's. Joe use to use Meba's, then he went to a carbon button. Being in the clutch bussiness, I new that he was going to regret it because you have to run carbon buttons on a carbon surface. Carbon on steel or cast iron such as the Sach is, is not compatable. <br><br>Peter
Old 04-11-2003, 09:21 PM
DTR Advertiser

I suspected that you were using the Miba pucks Peter. I cant see real good, but they looked just like Mibas to me....from here anyway.

Ahh, no Joe does not use a Carbon puck. He never has, except one time, when I begged him to build it for me that way. His clutch has used the Miba pucks for the past 2 years I know of. I now run and use the same pucks/ buttons you have on your disk. Carbon is ok, but the Miba was better IMO, for what I do (street drive/dyno)

Im not sure any changes are needed to the Sachs at this time. It is holding well over 600HP like it is. IMO, SBC has decided to use the same manufacturer and material for holding ability that Joe started using years ago. The same material you said was inferior to your more expensive facing.

If anything the Miba pucks, IMO would not be a good choice for a pulling clutch. They melt pretty quick with heat from slippage....remember the brass content in the Miba has a low melting point.

Good Luck,

Don~

edit- wanted to add I really like the idea of a billet flywheel.
Not sure if that one is SEMA or SFI rated/approved or not, but it is a great step forward. I have been whinning about the idea/need of a steel flywheel forever and a day for sled pulling and now with the HP levels we are at, dyno and drag racing too...

Old 04-11-2003, 10:12 PM

Peter, What is the HP rating for this new clutch? TIA<br>Rebel
Old 04-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Don, Don, Don, STOP!!!!!

Again you speak of what you do not know...only what you here.

The flash or melt down point of the Meba button (it is late Friday night) I believe is 1600 degrees f. I will post (for you) the actual chart on Monday so you will have this knowledge for future reference.

Quote &quot;Im not sure any changes are needed to the Sachs at this time. It is holding well over 600HP like it is. IMO, SBC has decided to use the same manufacturer and material for holding ability that Joe started using years ago. The same material you said was inferior to your more expensive facing.&quot;Quote

I have been using the Meba buttons for almost 20 years.

Don, I like you but man, you gotta quite challanging me. I am starting to loose respect for you. Dude, I have been building clutches for almost 30 years with my father before me and my grandfather before him. So, I am asking you to please give it a brake.

Do they have the torque capacity of pure feramic? NO!
Feramic is not the proper application or weight for what I built this clutch for.

To answer the next question, this clutch was built to hold 600hp and up. We will not know what it will hold until someone can slip it. My guess will be over 800hp and 1500 ft lbs of torque.

This clutch will be going into Steve Covalt's truck aka Heberam and he is well into the 700+ hp so this will be a good test.

Peter

Don, on another note...to put 4 feramic facings on this clutch would cost (me) almost $500.00, that is just for the clutch material. Add the drive plates and hubs, pressure plate, center plate, steel flywheel, bolts, straps and bearings. What would I have to charge for this clutch to make a profit or be affordable?

Be smart not arrogant.

Quick Reply: SBC Dual Disc Pics