Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

sb dd jerky

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sb dd jerky

hey guys i got my southbend dd 3250 put in last night. the fist day it seemed comparible to a single disk clutch but today it started bieng really jerky trying to take off easy in town. it that normal?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:44 AM

yes that is normal, you have to kind of re-learn how to use the clutch. Try letting the clutch out with less throttle. Is your clutch ceramic? mine is.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by 98.5Hotrod
yes that is normal, you have to kind of re-learn how to use the clutch. Try letting the clutch out with less throttle. Is your clutch ceramic? mine is.
Yep, I agree I got mine in last week, the 1st day it was like figuring out how to drive a stick again, but now I got it execpt starting off and a steep slope I either bog down or fry the tires
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM

yep it the 12 button ceramic. if i let it out with less throttle it almost kills the truck.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:59 PM

My carrier bearing was a little sloppy , almost like the rubber had shrunk. After installing the single disk OFE, I had to use 1st gear even with the truck unloaded because it was so jerky. I replaced the carrier and all is smooth like stock again.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:30 PM

Just got mine in and I think its the nature of the beast. I did alot of research on here and I can't quite figure out if all these guys start in 1st or 2nd empty. Cause 2nd is pretty rough for me but it might just have to be a learing experience to drive with something so aggresive compared to what the the stock clutch has spoiled us with. And it seems that they take quite a while to break in, several guys have suggested 500-1000mi. stop and go then do some boosted launches in 3rd and or hook it to a sled once to get the clutch hot and seated right. I don't feel comfortable dumping the clutch after just spending all that money but I think these guys are serious about getting the clutch hot a few times. We'll see how it goes for a while see if it loosens up at all, but if it doesn't and more research proves that it does need to be broke in hard then i'll give it a shot.
Also to anyone who runs the 3250 I have spent three more hours reading through old posts. But if you could chime in and give me and these other guys some updated info that would be great. I was expecting to be able to do 2nd gear starts empty without fear of tearing stuff up after talking to Peter. I expected it to be grabby but not like this. And reverse is ok i get good control but thats riding the clutch very smooth until I try and take my foot off the pedal than it jerks a good bit. So any tips advice or experiences would be helpful. Thanks Chris
Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 PM

2nd gear starts are not a problem, Just takes time to break clutch in. Also to re-learn to drive with the DD ceramic, been running mine for about a year now. I still have a jerky take off once in a while. It's a aggresive clutch that will handle the power, something you live with.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Well I took my truck to the guy who sold me the clutch. Also the same guy that I trust the most when picking out a product for my truck. He took it for a ride and said that for the amount of holding power that I have that its not to bad of a jerk. He said it needs a little break in time and that I would just learn how to take off smoother with time. So the conclusion on my end is that it is just the nature of the more aggresive clutch. So until I get good at smooth 2nd gear starts I'll use 1st for a while when there aren't a bunch of cars waiting impatiently behind me.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 3250 was a little jerky in the beginning, but not bad. Once I pulled a sled, it got way better. You gotta get it hot once or twice, then you will notice it gets less grabby.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:53 AM

Hey JLent I did read up on what you just said in some old posts, you and your brother are die hards man. I can't find my self ripping that hard on my truck.Do you think instead of hooking to a sled that maybe I could hook up to about a 10-12k trailer. Hit a good grade and when I'm loaded with boost kind of ride the clutch hard a few times. Know what I mean. let it slip with a lot of load behind me. I'm not sure I want to hook to a sled and or do a 3rd gear launch at 30psi. as this same truck has to get me to work today and tomorow morning. I think I could get the clutch hot this way and slip it with out the same stress as trying to take off with X amount of weight of the sled or the Launch. I know I got a good clutch that will hold now, now its the other parts I don't want to shred. Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 AM

Yep, mine is also getting less grabby the more miles Im putting under it, its getting more and more enjoyable to drive again
Old 05-28-2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by csrosenberry
Hey JLent I did read up on what you just said in some old posts, you and your brother are die hards man. I can't find my self ripping that hard on my truck.Do you think instead of hooking to a sled that maybe I could hook up to about a 10-12k trailer. Hit a good grade and when I'm loaded with boost kind of ride the clutch hard a few times. Know what I mean. let it slip with a lot of load behind me. I'm not sure I want to hook to a sled and or do a 3rd gear launch at 30psi. as this same truck has to get me to work today and tomorow morning. I think I could get the clutch hot this way and slip it with out the same stress as trying to take off with X amount of weight of the sled or the Launch. I know I got a good clutch that will hold now, now its the other parts I don't want to shred. Thanks
You don't have to launch at 30 psi. Just bring up the rpms to around 3k and let the clutch out slowly while giving it more fuel. Since you have a 2500, you'll likely just light up the tires. You don't have to slip it for very long for it to make a difference.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned

Yeah, We have settled down lately though. I just can't afford the downtime anymore, business is going crazy. My brother & I have always been competitive & he just had a DD installed as well. This pulling season is gonna be great, finally get to show him why I'm the BIG brother. He has never pulled before & I know that seeing him in the line is going to get me that extra boost. I'm definately going to either break my truck bad or blow a piston through the hood. I do know one thing, I am not gonna lose to my little brother no matter what. You don't have to do a big launch, it will break in with normal driving, just takes longer.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM

Well thats good to know. I will just let it break in the natural way. I need my truck for work to. As far as the pulling season goes you have to get some video of that. A video with no mercy on the truck is going to make for a great show good or bad. I will hope for good though. Thanks for your opinions guys. Nice to know that everything is working the way it is suppose to on my truck.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

Well thats good to know. I will just let it break in the natural way. I need my truck for work to. As far as the pulling season goes you have to get some video of that. A video with no mercy on the truck is going to make for a great show good or bad. I will hope for good though. Thanks for your opinions guys. Nice to know that everything is working the way it is suppose to on my truck.
I'll try to get my friend to video it. Should be a good show. I will start a thread before the big day, trust me, some serious bickering will go down between my brother & I.

Quick Reply: sb dd jerky