Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

S300G vs Dodgezilla?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And this was their response to my question about part number of turbo and size of the wheel, and cfm/ lbs per min etc:

"174430 It is the 450 HP turbo with the 57 wheel great for work trucks who tow alot!!!"
This is not exactly my application but close to. My truck is a daily driver and does tow on occasion. I believe from what I have read that the S300 is a better selection because it is upgradable even though it may be expensive. I also agree that the DZ is dead end technology, there is nothing that can be done with that animal other than put it on top of a bigger turbo for twins. I appreciate all the information and believe I have made up my mind.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:03 AM

Ok so I won the auction on the S300G and will be getting it in soon, now I need a down pipe. Anyhow, I think I will be much happier with this animal than the HX35. We will see! Thanks for all the information and I will share my experiences when the turbo goes on.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Was just reading one of the "other" forums and directly from the mouth(keyboard) of a BD sales rep-

" I would say yes the S300 counts as the Super-B, we change out the wastegate and include a downpipe to make it a Super-B but pretty much the same deal!"

Then-

"This is an edit to my post, It is inaccurate for me to say the S300 is the same as the Super-B, there is hundreds of configurations for the S300 with different A/R ratios and inducer sizes etc... A good example is the BD Twins, both are S300's just configured much differently. We do change the W/G here to an adjustable W/G and include the downpipe but there is many different configurations of the S300."

Which make sense to me because there are different variations but I take the first quote as a reference to the stock S300G.

Quote #3-

"The super B was not a factory turbo it was made up using a combination of parts from an s300 and s200, the turbine and compressor housings were refashioned to our drawings. and the turbocharger was built to our flow and pressure specification. We made an agreement with Borg Warner that after 1 year they could sell it to their distributors, and we would remain the original designers of this unit. Borg Warner distributors have the option of purchasing this turbo from BW or BD at the same price. The compressor housing is a .5 A/R and the turbine is a .80 A/R. the turbo was conceived in 2002 and went on sale in 2004. We sell this turbocharger complete with down pipe and our own higher pressure adjustable waste gate."

That works for me.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah good choice Tex I'm glad you opted to go this route instead of the Hx40! The only problem is it will never be enough! I was satisfied with my turbo for avery short period of time,now it's on to twins!!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Im sure twins are in my future, just not right now. My wife has already prompted my to buy a smaller more efficient vehicle to drive on a daily basis so that I can continue my "BOMB" addiction. I do believe I will keep her!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Txwelder
Im sure twins are in my future, just not right now. My wife has already prompted my to buy a smaller more efficient vehicle to drive on a daily basis so that I can continue my "BOMB" addiction. I do believe I will keep her!
Just tell her youll spend the monthly money on parts to make your truck more reliable, and better MPG.

"Honey, I will have this truck forever"
Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha, my wife put me on a diet, if I lose 30 lbs, I get 700 towards a turbo!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:33 PM

Oh she is fully aware of the "not getting rid of it" concept. What I need to convince her of is that I need a stocker to daily drive while that one grows more and more healthy in the garage!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Good deal and congrats, TxWelder!

Do your research on building your twins. I don't believe you will be sorry.

I went with only studs and not studs + O-rings on my truck. My pop offs are set at 50 psi, but I can hit 55 psi before they really get going. Having pop offs set that low does nothing but raise drive pressure. In my case just another compromise.

The big thing for me is I can run all my fuel and my EGT's stay below, or push back down below 1300F. But typically, I seldom go above 45 psi boost and EGT's are just as seldomly a concern.

Have fun;
Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 05:47 AM

OK! Turbo is on, and it was a royal PITA. I had so much fun on Saturday that I didnt get home until 2:30 in the morning. First the nuts stripped on the HX35 then the DP wouldnt go on the the oil drain was in the way and the wastegate had to come off. I was irritated. Anyhow, got her all buttoned up and ran on the Dyno on Sun and made 396/783 so all smile there. The only thing I am not used to is how it really doesnt boost at cruising speed like my stocker did. I guess I will get used to and my next full tank of fuel will be under close scrutiny to evaluate the efficiency of this monster. Thanks for all the input on this deal.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 AM

Cool, glad ya got it on there and like it!!! This is the turbo I'm considering in the near future, I'll keep watching this thread.

Keep us posted.... How is spool up compared to stock? How much did it drop your EGT's?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 AM
GFB

Were you able to make the wastegate actuator fit or did you just hook the wastegate closed?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Chapter President

Cruising boost will be lower but cruising EGT's will be higher.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 AM

The truck seems more responsive where the HX35 left me wanting more on the low end. It does take some fuel to spool it though. Once it lights it does really well on EGT's. Like haloman said, cruising boost is almost zero and EGT's are higher but when you get into it, the EGT's were so low I was shocked. Really never got past 1300* when on the Dyno. The wastegate had to be wired shut because I couldnt get the oil return line back on. So I just removed the wastegate actuator. I am looking to install an esternal because I really want that control. I need a 60lb boost gauge as the 35lb I have now is not sufficient.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Chapter President

Be careful. You don't wont to be doing a head gasket soon also. Get that bigger gauge in there.

Quick Reply: S300G vs Dodgezilla?