Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

S300G vs Dodgezilla?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from http://turbosupply.net/bwturbo.html do a search for p/n 174430....they have it. you could call them for some more details on it.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Its also $1056.00, I could give a call for info though. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:39 AM

Specs from the engineer- Called Mike, couldnt get Dave, at Dallas Turbo and it is 57mm comp wheel, .80 a/r, rated at 60lbs min, w/14cm2 housing. Couldnt get a number on the turbine wheel. Anybody think this is a better idea than the DZ?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:44 AM

I'm going DZ. $685 is hard to turn down.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 AM

That price is keeping me interested but for another $200 you can have an S300G and if it is a better unit I can wait. Just need some info from people that have used both to make my decision.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Becareful with the HX-40 turbos. They have a VERY BIG tendency to break shafts.
Do a search on here before you but one.

I just did some reading on the Dodgezillas, and they seem to be a good turbo. The price is also good.
I was thinking a DZ was a HX-40 didnt realize it was a 35/40 hybrid.
This is the same turbo I ran on my truck when I first got it. Except it was HTTs version. I was running that turbo a 0 plate and 370s and I towed a car #3300 and a #2000 trailer to Kentucky and it did good.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Txwelder
That price is keeping me interested but for another $200 you can have an S300G and if it is a better unit I can wait. Just need some info from people that have used both to make my decision.
The nice thing about the S300s is if you ever want more, you can have them go from say the base Phat Shaft 62/14 (62/65/14) to a Super Phat Shaft (62/71/14)to a Silver62 (62/74/14) or anything in between 64mm or 66mm wheels if you want, for a couple hundred bucks.
The S300 is probably the most versitle turbo out.
This was a Industrial Injection comparison, but High Tech Turbo does the same. Also, HTT is a little cheaper for the same turbo.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TX Welder, the problem with that turbo is that if it is the same as the BD Super B and HTBG from HTT, it cannot be upgraded to the 62mm compressor without machining. And last time I called HTT, they told me it would be too costly to upgrade a BD super B or their own HTBG to be worth it, they recommended that I sell it and buy an already made up 62/12, 14, or what ever I wanted.

I don't really know a whole lot, just what I have gleaned from here and phone calls with HTT, but i thought a BD super B and or HTBG could support 425 HP and a modified 40 was good to 450 or so. This S300 you are looking at should be tougher and not break shafts, but I think a 40 will out lung it on the top end. As far as spool up, I thought the Super B/ HTBG were as close to stock as you can get. So that turbo might spool up faster than a 40.

All that said, if you want twins some day, I think that it would make a great top turbo as it is a little better than stock, very tough, and is the same thing BD uses in their towing twins.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM

I'm looking at the Dodgezilla too and wondering 12 or 14 wg or should I go with HTT hybrid or the s300g. I going to keep my exhaust break so would the s300 hook up to the exhaust break? I believe the dodgezilla will and the HTT hybrids will also.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MtnDiesel
I'm looking at the Dodgezilla too and wondering 12 or 14 wg or should I go with HTT hybrid or the s300g. I going to keep my exhaust break so would the s300 hook up to the exhaust break? I believe the dodgezilla will and the HTT hybrids will also.
If your exhaust break mounts ont he turbo you gotta go with the DZ or a HTT hybrid, as the flange on an S300 is a HX40 type vband connection.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 PM

The HTT hybrid is 60mm, less likely to surge. DZ will probably pump a little more air on the very top end with its "62mm", but unless you have a bigger exhaust side, both will choke before full compressor potential can be achieved anyway.

Also note that most modified High Power 40's run the 58mm compressor wheel. Just food for thought.
If a modified 40 with a 58 wheel can be pushed to almost 500 HP, why can't a DZ or HTT Hybrid do the same? Must have something to do with exhaust wheel and or exhaust housing.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:51 PM

TX Welder, this is the message that I got from that seller of the S 300 "same as bd super B".

"I bought it from diesel power systems. It was advertised as a Super B. By the time I got around to installing it and figured out that it wasn't, my time to file a complaint was over. I called High Tech Turbo and asked them if there was something wrong or if the turbo was screwed up. I gave them the numbers off of the tag too. They told me it was not a super B. THEY build super B's BD does not. They use the s300g as a starting point to build the super B. What he basically told me is that I was screwed! It is a good turbo, just not for the 24 valve trucks. Its a good upgrade if you have a 12 valve. He didn't tell me the specifics of the wheels or housings and i didn't ask as I should have.
Basically the problem is that it is way lazy, takes forever to spool up and only reaches 28 psi. I have 75 hp injectors and a TST powermax 3. It ran on level 9 like my factory turbo ran on level 5. Exh. temps were low, but there was no power until I got up over 2500 rpm.
Sounds like you are in the same boat as I was. I needed more air. I ended up buying High Techs 62/13 stainless turbo. Now its a runner! EGTs are great and it pulls like a Peterbilt.
My only suggestion is to call E.T.R. or High Tech Turbo and give them the numbers that are listed. They can tell you exactly what it would be good for. Thanks for the interest."
Old 01-10-2008, 04:27 PM

Yea my exhaust break mounts to the turbo. So it gonna be HTT or DZ.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:35 PM

TXwelder, I just asked Airflo the seller of this S300g kit what turbo they sell with the kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...spagenameZWDVW

And this was their response to my question about part number of turbo and size of the wheel, and cfm/ lbs per min etc:

"174430 It is the 450 HP turbo with the 57 wheel great for work trucks who tow alot!!!"

Just one more opinion to sort through.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cspotrun
I'm so close to buying a DZ and then I read this. My plans are to run this in a twins setup so I guess thats a good thing. I don't get how I'm making 368 uncorrected HP(408 corrected) at altitude on a little ole HY. But it's been backed up a coupla times now. I'm actually gonna run this thing on a 12cm2 housing as I tow a lot and can't afford the spool up loss. I'm hoping this thing cools decent enough to buy me a little room. There is a guy in town making 500 or so in a 12 valve with a 14cm2 housing and a DZ. I guess well find out in the coming months.
Before a bought the DZ I literally read everything I could find concerning it for over a year. Not once did I see any of the same problems I had. That is until I had mine and did some posting myself about what was going on. Then some other users stepped up and said kind of the same things happening.

Truely, I love the DZ's performance in my twin set and absolutely hated it as a single. Some day I might get an non-waste gated housing and run an external. Other wise, IMO it is an exceptional mating to the s400 for the 500 Hp target.

I will say that City Diesel is a very good company to work with though and seemed to stand behind their product 100%. I would recommend them to anyone.

Just keep in mind that the same options can present themselves if you go the vanilla s300 route. Except IMO the s300 is much more upgradable / tunable than the DZ. Some s300 variants have dual internal waste gates. My take is that the DZ is kind of dead end technology, while the s300 gets improvements all the time. If I had the chance to do it over again I would go the vanilla s300 route for my secondary. That way I could buy upgrades for it if I ever chose to increase fueling. Currently I am really happy with my performance all around so there is not allot of reason to spend more $$$.

Probably the biggest thing I learned is that there might literally be no single turbo that covers all the performance issues 100%. You will likely have to compromise some expectations. Twins seem to be very good, the only real weakness possibly a bit slower to spool and maybe space under the hood. Additionally, the s400 can be a real whiner. It has a distinctive spool up whine for sure. The power comes on just as hard or even harder because the boost is higher, it just comes on smoother.

IMO twins are the "Schpikity Ding Ding". You are on the right track.

Jim

Quick Reply: S300G vs Dodgezilla?