Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

RV275 injectors and stock trans

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV275 injectors and stock trans

How will my stock trans hold up to just adding RV275 injectors... I was thinking of just upping the line pressure a little. From what I have read you should be able to get away with an extra 8 psi with a health trans. Is this true for the most part???<br><br>Thanks<br>Chris
Old 07-15-2003, 11:12 AM

Re:RV275 injectors and stock trans

Chris..with 275RV injectors, should be no problem with auto trans. A Valve body kit would be good but not nessecesary at this time. If you are or planning on running a fueling box or bigger injectors, make sure you make the tranny up grades before hand.<br>Steve
Old 07-15-2003, 11:15 AM

You may want to look at a box over the injectors you will see more of a HP gain with a box then with the injectors. Recommendation is the Edge EZ for towing and playing. Controlable EGT and not to hard on the tranny or VP44.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:10 PM

My trans seems to be healthy It may have 140,000 miles and was serviced properly, the fluid is still very clean looking. I do want to go with a lower stall converter and new VB but I don't want to spend the money on a compleate rebuild when mine seems to be in good shape now.... would it be a waste of time with that many miles to spend the $1400 on just a new VB and converter??? and would it increase the life of the trans or just kill it faster<br><br>Thanks<br>Chris
Old 07-15-2003, 02:36 PM

Chris..Like I said before, if you are only doing an injector up-grade to 275RV's, you need not do anything to the trans. Unless you are having problems, (which you indicate not), for go the tranny up grades and $$$$'s until you have problems or when you go to a fueling box and larger injectors. <br>Steve
Old 07-15-2003, 03:08 PM
Banned

A new TC/VB won't kill your tranny quickly. It'll help it. Plus the lower stall will really help when you tow that rock crawler of yours. If all you are going to do is injectors, don't worry bout the tranny. I've got an Edge COMP on mine and I've only manage to slip it once on level 3 (70 or so hp) pulling a 4 wheeler trailer with four wheeler. I wouldn't worry at all bout the injectors. Especially if you've kept up the maintenance on the tranny. I do however agree with Jamie that you will see more power from an EZ than the injectors. A lot of people actually combine the EZ with 275 injectors. That combo though is about the limit of your transmission.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:12 AM

I do just want ot start with Injectors then later, plan on geting a box... But it drives me crazy having such a high stall TQ even with stock power<br><br><br>Chris

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2003, 02:22 AM
Banned

The high stall is extremely annoying. I'm actually looking at getting a set of 275's myself here very shortly. I need a little more power and smoke.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:39 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I may throw in some cents here:

Upping the line pressure is a little bit dangerous if not done correctly. You can blow some internal seals and not notice it immediately. If you now add a low stall TC you have more torque input at lower pump rpm and therefore any kind of internal leakage will have more effect than with the stock TC.
Adding any power enhancements to this equation will lead to even more torque going into the tranny at low rpm. When I rebuilt my tranny I found lots of little leakpaths through the original seals. If I had just upped the pressures with a VB or the like I'd have had more problems after some thousand miles.
Personally I'd go for a complete rebuild with quality aftermarket high perf parts before touching the engine. I had an Edge Pulse before I went DTT and without the Pulse and only the DTT tranny the truck felt much stronger than with the stock tranny and the Pulse. (Not the fault of the Pulse, but the power was going nowhere)
Now I run the DTT tranny with the Pulse and all

The reason I mention DTT is that this is the only aftermarket tranny I do have personal experience with.

AlpineRAM