Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

running water/meth just for towing??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running water/meth just for towing??

is anybody running water strictly for towing purposes??? I was thinking about trying it on my 97', & was wondering how much water I could expect to use per tank of fuel???? also will I pick up any mpg?? or is it just good for cooling things down?? thanks, Dusty
Old 01-30-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased Snow's stage 2 setup over 2 years ago for towing purposes, and was the first customer Matt had, who wanted it for that use. I tested his stage 2 controller and went through several until he devloped one which wouldn't burn up after the long periods of operation which the towing crowd sees. I'm now using his stage 3 system and highly recommend it for towing because of the in-cab adjustability, and smoothness of water delivery. It is vastly superior to the stage 2 system for towing. It uses both boost and egts to control pump operation and can be set to come in a much lower boost levels without killing the combustion flame.

I use a 6 gallon tank, which lasts from 600 to 1000 miles in the mountainous conditions of northern Utah. Windshield washer fluid works much better than straight water, which I don't recommend. There is no increase in fuel milage which I've been able to see, but there is a slight increase in power when using washer fluid, and of course, a over 200* decrease in egts. I have my pump set at 225 psi maximum pressure and use 1 625 size jet. The pump setting and jet size work well in the stage 2 system set to come in at 15 to 20 lbs boost with max on at 30.

Here are a couple of more items of interest.

The 625 jet will flow over 1 gal/min at 300 lbs psi.

Any tank placed inside the bed will need a anti-siphon valve, or don't plan on parking your truck with the front end down hill.

The stage 2 system doesn't immediately start working to reduce egts when the pump first kicks in. It takes a few seconds before they start coming down.

There's a different driving style you'll have to use when pulling long grades using the stage 2 system, but after a couple of times you'll easily get used to it. The stage 3 system is so smooth you won't even notice it's there and you can drive normally.

Hope this information helps.

Bart
Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 AM

Bart pretty much covered it all.
With my stage 2, I could just barely get over the continental divide at gross wt. (Denver to Grand Jct). This was using only the windshield washer bottle (one Gal.). Allowed me to get over passes at 60-65 mph. Without it, I would have been locking out OD and climbing at 45-50 mph.
Interesting note: EGT's were within limits at 75-80 mph (more boost) but traffic would not allow those speeds.

For towing, best to view Inj. system as primarily for allowing use of more hp by lowering EGT's. Makes for easier & quicker trip in the mountains... but I would not expect a mileage increase.

RJ
Old 01-30-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks Bart,
that pretty much answered any ?'s I might have had, & it sounds like something I'm gonna have to try in the next few months, the only other ? I have is what type of truck you ran the system on??? was it a 12-v or 24-v & what mods did you have, thanks, Dusty
Old 01-30-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Ratcliff
thanks Bart,
that pretty much answered any ?'s I might have had, & it sounds like something I'm gonna have to try in the next few months, the only other ? I have is what type of truck you ran the system on??? was it a 12-v or 24-v & what mods did you have, thanks, Dusty
It is an '01 ETH/DEE (6 sp) with DD3's, HTB2, Drag Comp, fuel line modifications, Snow stage 3 water/meth system, 30 hp shot of propane, Jardine 4" exhaust, and stock air cleaner with the rubber fender boot removed. Dynoed 542 hp, one year ago. I have since added a HRVP44, but haven't dynoed with it yet, but have towed. I normallly tow at the 400 to 425 hp level, which is the limit which the radiator will handle on hot summer days on high altitude mountain passes.