Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Running boost gauge off of WG elbow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running boost gauge off of WG elbow?

Since my Waste Gate Acuator is leaking I've kinked the hose that used to feed it.

Now I've got a boost gauge I'm thinking I can put that elbow to use and run my boost gauge off of it. The stock elbow should give should give true numbers right? It looks like the TST adjustable boost elbow might give a false reading, but stock I'm okay?

If anyone knows one way or the other let me know. Otherwise I'd love to know what kind of boost numbers are 'normal' with my truck seen below making an optimistic 180/420. Unloaded, what would be the max boost I would expect to see under gentle acceleration, normal and WOT?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could hook it up but without the turns, elbows and aftercooler, do you think it would be representative of the actual pressure the engine is seeing?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Clunk
You could hook it up but without the turns, elbows and aftercooler, do you think it would be representative of the actual pressure the engine is seeing?
That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

My gut says that in a pressurized system volume of flow may vary but pressure wouldn't unless there was some kind of pressure regulator involved, for instance in the elbow. There could be something in the aftercooler etc. but that would be a pretty counter productive design.

But I plain old don't know.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know there's a pressure change when the hot off the turbo air gets cooled down in the aftercooler...and when hot liquids or gasses cool off, there is a pressure drop.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Clunk
when hot liquids or gasses cool off, there is a pressure drop.
Very true. Hmmm, looks like I'm buying a boost gauge bolt from Geno's. Running it off the elbow I could only show 12 psi max unloaded. Be interesting to compare to readings from after the inter/after cooler.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:07 AM

There is a difference between manifold pressure and turbo housing pressure. The manifold pressure will be the most accurate since its down stream from the inter-cooler and all the plumbing, plus the volume is much larger than the compressor housing. I think a more accurate location on the turbo would be the outlet anyway.

Fritz has some good info on the turbos, some might be rudamentory for you but its a quick read anyway:

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm