Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rough Ride

I recently purchased a 1989 2500 series Dodge 4 X 4, 3 speed auto, limited slip rear, snow plow and powered with the 5.9 Cummins and I just started reading the Forum. Great information! The power is fun but this rig rides like a tobaggon going over a rock pile. The springs look like they have sagged reducing spring travel. I heard about Skyjacker springs. Are they better? What about air bags? Also, at idle, the rig vibrates like the International DT466s we have at work. Do they make motor mounts with rubber inserts? New cab mounts may help? The motor smooths out at higher rpm's but I need to keep the rpm's down when shifting into drive or when stopped in gear to keep the strain off the transmission. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2005, 02:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to the world of real pickup trucks made to work for a living. Not those jet smooth ride trucks or the better idea IF front end.
It gets expensive but there are shops out there that will redo your springs. They anneal them, re-arch them and re-temper them sometimes giving back more strength than the original. JCWhitney may have something but I can't speak for the quality. It is getting hard to find parts for these old girls like lift kits and spring kits.
Check your state laws on air bags on the front or air shocks on the front. I've been warned I can't pass inspection with air shocks on the front axle in VA. Even though Dodge recommends that with a plow.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by limitedslip
I recently purchased a 1989 2500 series Dodge 4 X 4, 3 speed auto, limited slip rear, snow plow and powered with the 5.9 Cummins and I just started reading the Forum. Great information! The power is fun but this rig rides like a tobaggon going over a rock pile. The springs look like they have sagged reducing spring travel. I heard about Skyjacker springs. Are they better? What about air bags? Also, at idle, the rig vibrates like the International DT466s we have at work. Do they make motor mounts with rubber inserts? New cab mounts may help? The motor smooths out at higher rpm's but I need to keep the rpm's down when shifting into drive or when stopped in gear to keep the strain off the transmission. Anyone have any suggestions?
It is helpfull if you fill out your signature.

What kind of tires are you running? What airpressure? Before you get too carried away check the simple things, and remember this IS a 3/4 ton truck, not a Lexus.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes skyjacker does make a lift kit for this truck i had one on my 90 model and it did ride smoother than stock, also your motor mounts should have rubber inserts, and with the three inch skyjacker it did not lift it too high to pull a gooseneck with, which was a big + for me