Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Road salt murder on electrical connections. Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road salt murder on electrical connections. Ideas??

After the impromptu introduction of my rear fender and a tree this past summer, I got a set of mondo driving lights in the rear bumper. Everything was hunky-dory until the first snowfall about a month ago when they stopped working. I had a chance to crawl under and was shocked to see the main connector was all green with corrosion and one the wires just dangling loose. The salt spray quickly ate thru the copper wires. I was wonder if anybody uses something to protect the connections. I was thinking of RTV.<br><br>-Tom-
Old 12-20-2002, 10:00 PM

Re:Road salt murder on electrical connections. Ideas??

You can get a can of liquid rubber compond used to recoat hand tools when the rubber grip comes off. It can be found at most tool or auto stores.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:22 AM

Commatoze,
A couple of things. . . Anywhere you are splicing wires, use uninsulated butt connectors with heat shrink tubeing. Then follow with a &quot;liquid tape&quot;. Make sure the heatshrink is the right size for the connector you are using (example 18-22 use 1/8&quot; heatshrink). Also if you use any kind of a sealer(silicone) on connectors, be sure to totally seal the connector so water has no way in. Partially sealing can be worse for corrosion if any moisture is trapped. Silicone grease is good to use on the slide connectors where the pin connectors meet.
Phil
Old 12-21-2002, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crazyhorse is on the right track but thr original heat shrink was designed for the identification of wires. Ask for double wall heat shrink as when it shrinks a soft compound melts inside and completely seals the joint. You may as well know it does cost more but will keep the green gobbler at bay. PK
Old 12-21-2002, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solder the joints, use the good heat shrink tubing, and the paint on rubber stuff as a final coat. Completely rewired my gooseneck for the same problems and haven't had a second's problem since. Take the time and do it right. Take those quick crimp connectors and throw them in the camp fire.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:02 PM

I use posilock connectors with dia-electric greese and have cut down on my problems by 100%. Easy connections, easy to fix, very secure and protects the connection.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:51 PM

Telephone companies have been burying splices in mud for years using silicone dielectric grease and heat shrink tubing.

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2002, 07:26 PM

Ckeck out this vendor site: http://www.posi-lock.com/<br><br>I saw their prduct on 2 guys garage and it looks pretty good. $1.50 each I think.