Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

rip's twins

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rip's twins

Anyone have rip rook's twin setup based on the stock HX35? Im curious as to how much it cost you and what the power and response were like once installed. Did you retain the second battery?
Id -like- to make 500hp but my budget isnt too big nowadays.
Looks like I could get a set from BD power for just under 4k that are already tuned and matched up. Good reviews but wow that breaks the bank.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 AM
JIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im with you brother! I'd love to build a set of twins using my stocker. I'll be watching this thread!
Old 11-16-2007, 09:47 AM
GFB

I believe the kit is around $2700 for everything finish welded and powdercoated. That includes the S400 bottom turbo. Remember you'll need head studs too if you're running twins.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by kawi600
Anyone have rip rook's twin setup based on the stock HX35? Im curious as to how much it cost you and what the power and response were like once installed. Did you retain the second battery?
Id -like- to make 500hp but my budget isnt too big nowadays.
Looks like I could get a set from BD power for just under 4k that are already tuned and matched up. Good reviews but wow that breaks the bank.
If you buy parts and weld/powder coat/ assemble yourself... you should be around $2,000 from Rip. Just call and ask him.

That set up will easily make 500 hp with a chip and injectors and run nice and cool. It's not an ideal combo, balance wise... but I have driven one (6 spd) and was much more impressed than I expected to be. If I had an HX-35, ability to do the work myself and was on a tight budget, I would do Rips minimum set up and never look back!

You will need to modify your HX-35 to a 14cm2 turbine housing.

RJ
Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
If you buy parts and weld/powder coat/ assemble yourself... you should be around $2,000 from Rip. Just call and ask him.

That set up will easily make 500 hp with a chip and injectors and run nice and cool. It's not an ideal combo, balance wise... but I have driven one (6 spd) and was much more impressed than I expected to be. If I had an HX-35, ability to do the work myself and was on a tight budget, I would do Rips minimum set up and never look back!

You will need to modify your HX-35 to a 14cm2 turbine housing.

RJ
I heard on the autos the 12cm2 housing is the perferred housing...

Anyine know if there is any truth to that??
Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 AM

It is...as a general rule of thumb. The one exception, IMO, is if using an HX-35 in twins. The 12cm2 turbine housing will work for towing and daily driving but gets in the way if playing hard... higher EGT's and high drive pressures especially.

Never actually seen or read about Rips twins with an HX-35/12 so I'm basing the above on how it looks on paper! I would live with minor increase in lag from the 14 before I would risk it! JMO.

RJ
Old 11-16-2007, 11:05 AM

the 14cm housing would flow more air that the s400 will try to push through the hx35 so its just less restrictive. Im looking at Rip's setup as well but i will most likely do the setup and get a 14cm housing down the road. Another mod you would want to do is bore out the exhaust wastegate to 38mm or so from the stock 18mm, im not measurin mine im just makin it as big as i can and making a flapper to cover it, the mod prevents you from having to do a 6-700 dollar external wastegate. 2700 bucks for a complete twin setup isnt too shabby considering the abilities of the setup.

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-2007, 11:41 AM

kawi,if you go this route i'd like to check it out.just curious how the quality is.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
It is...as a general rule of thumb. The one exception, IMO, is if using an HX-35 in twins. The 12cm2 turbine housing will work for towing and daily driving but gets in the way if playing hard... higher EGT's and high drive pressures especially.

Never actually seen or read about Rips twins with an HX-35/12 so I'm basing the above on how it looks on paper! I would live with minor increase in lag from the 14 before I would risk it! JMO.

RJ
I run a 12cm housing on my hx35 in my twins and you are correct for daily driving and towing it is a great spools fast and keeps things cool. Now with the fuel turned up and some hard playing drive pressures and egt do tend to rise a bit. I just went this route because I couldn't find a used housing and couldn't see putting $400 into a housing when that is almost half a s300g. When I add more fuel I am just going to upgrade the top charger and redo what piping I need to do. I did open up the wastegate to 40mm and crossdrilled the housing, but it really chokes on the top end, and I am not even at 450 hp.
Joe
Old 11-16-2007, 06:33 PM

I purchased the unfinished kit... all the pipe was tacked together... i finish welded, grinded, powder coated, etc...

I have been extremely happy with my twins, I run about 65psi out of them have no issues whatsoever towing (often very heavy) with Mach 6.5s!! These twins keep things very cool and spool is great. Drive pressure with a 14cm housing on the 35 is 1:1 at 55psi and about 67-68psi at 65psi.

Overall great kit 30k and counting... Zero issues!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
I purchased the unfinished kit... all the pipe was tacked together... i finish welded, grinded, powder coated, etc...

I have been extremely happy with my twins, I run about 65psi out of them have no issues whatsoever towing (often very heavy) with Mach 6.5s!! These twins keep things very cool and spool is great. Drive pressure with a 14cm housing on the 35 is 1:1 at 55psi and about 67-68psi at 65psi.

Overall great kit 30k and counting... Zero issues!
Good to hear, i have beening thinking about going this route, my truck is for work first then play so this seems cost effective. Could you ballpark the total parts cost ?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 PM

My guess (was a long time ago ya know!) was 1900 for the kit and 400 for the 14cm housing... Think that is close....
Old 11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
The Guru

Using your stock turbo, you could probably run a BTH-3B or a K31 turbo for twins. I would think if you have the tools, you could put together a set of twins for less than $1200. I bought all the air tubes from NAPA for $250 and the hot pipe I bought from a scrap yard for less than $30. I bought a 3b for $680 and a K31 for $900, so there are some cheap options out there. Rip does a nice twins set-up and you wont be disappointed with them. You will have to set your stock turbo wastegate back to the 20psi or else your drive pressure will start to climb (EGT's).
Old 11-17-2007, 07:59 AM

I am also interested in RIP's twins using the HX-35 but in the instructions on his website it says that on automatic trucks the engine mounted transmission cooler has to be removed. Is anybody running these twins on an auto truck and if so what did you do for a tranny cooler? My truck is a farm truck and I really don't like the idea of mounting a cooler under the truck somewhere where it would be in harms way and getting full of dirt.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:15 PM

i just priced pieceing his kit together and its 2200-2300 if you weld the stuff yourself except for the hot pipe that connects the turbos and you get the s400 for 650. his complete kit is 2700 ready to go. im most likely goin for the complete kit so i know everything to do it will be there instead of forgetting about an oil line or somethin simple then having to wait til i get that part in to get my truck running again. I would also like to know about moving the tranny cooler on the autos.... mine has the tranny cooler in front of the intercooler... does this make a difference?

Quick Reply: rip's twins