Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Replacing Power Wire Terminals & Maybe Power Wires? (With Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Power Wire Terminals & Maybe Power Wires? (With Pictures)

I'm beginning to upgrade my factory stereo system to a really nice aftermarket setup and am having to start with the basics...my power system. The area around all four of my battery terminals are pretty corroded (some more than others), and while I know that the battery terminals themselves can be cleaned, I'm wondering about the power wire terminals. I took some pictures, shown below.

I was thinking about trying to replace the main power wires (known as "the Big Three"), but when I got to looking at it all, it's pretty confusing and I'm not sure where everything goes (not just the simple (+) Battery to Alternator, (-) Battery to Chassis Ground, and Chassis to Engine). Not to mention the fact that we have a second battery in there.

So that got me to thinking that maybe I should just stick with replacing the power wire terminals. But...how would I go about doing this? As you can see in the photos, the (-) terminal on the driver side battery is essentially screwed because it has corrosion all over it and the nut holding it clamped tight is pretty much worn away to the point that a socket wrench won't get it off. So anyway, if y'all could give me some advice about what to do with my power wires, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Driver side battery; obviously needs some cleaning

Driver side battery negative terminal; this one's in BAD shape--I currently can't even remove it

Driver side battery positive terminal; in much better shape, but look at all the wires going away from it!...and this is stock!

Passenger side battery; not in too bad of shape I guess

Negative lead from passenger side battery; where the hell does this go?

Rear of alternator; all kinds of stuff coming and going here
Old 10-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really an "emergency"

Think it will play best in this section.

phox
Old 10-02-2004, 04:54 PM

Thanks Phox.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Banned

You really have to much time on your hands.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:30 PM

I hate you so much...

Old 10-02-2004, 10:50 PM

<That 70's Show, Kelso style voice> "BUURRRRRRRN!!"

Mine were pretty hard to remove the first time. I've heard that a can of Coke will take off the corrosion, I would pour a can on, wait 15 then rinse it off. Should help keep the terminals clean.

brnadon.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2004, 02:07 PM

OK, here's a real, short, definitive question for you guys on this same subject...

Where is the negative (-) from battery to chassis ground in our trucks? Basically, where does the negative terminal of the battery attach to the chassis for grounding throughout the vehicle?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:52 PM

I couldn't find a clear shot in the factory service manual where the grounding straps/cables are located. IIRC, the passengers side connects somewhere down under the alternator. I can't recall where the driver's side is. I do know that with 2 batteries providing the juice for cranking a high compression diesel in cold weather, the stock charging system should provide enough for most any aftermarket audio system.

brandon.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:06 PM

Well, I used Coke, a battery terminal brush, a toothbrush, and pliers to get that one negative terminal off and was successful. However, now I can't get the bolt that's going through it out. The bolt is so corroded that it's useless, so I need to remove it so I can put a new one through there. However, there's still so much corrosion that I can't get it out. I tried more Coke, more brushing with Coke, trying to push it through with a hammer, trying to twist it out with pliers/ViseGrips, and pretty much anything else I could think of. Still no luck. Take a look at it and tell me what you think I should do. The backside of this thing (the head of the bolt) is basically worn down to nothing.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:14 PM

time for some skillfull work with a small grinder. be careful not to cut thru the top of the battery, maybe use a piece of plywood, i wouldnt wanna hear the whining from that one
Old 10-06-2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by upersleder
time for some skillfull work with a small grinder.
What are you talking about?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 AM

I would do something like this:

.....|||.....
|....|||....|
|............| battery terminal turned sideways
|............| with old bolt threads sticking up
|________|
..****..
| xxxxx |
| xxxxx | Socket that loosely fits the bolt head
| xxxxx |
========= 2x6 lumber

Use a BIG hammer to drive the threaded bolt down into the socket. It should take one good smack and come free.

brandon.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:15 AM

Yeah, I thought so too Brandon, but I was unable to get it out using a hammer thus far. Of course, I was having to hit it with the terminal sitting on the battery (still had space below the bolt though, don't worry) because the wire is attached to the truck (so that's kind of an issue. If I could get it out onto the ground, I could just smack the heck out of it and either it would crack (like it's starting to do) or the lead would be soft enough to let the bolt break free of the corrosion and come out.

Honestly, I'm probably going to have to go at it with a Dremel and dang near cut away the lead parts of the terminal to get it out. Kinda like surgery.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:46 PM

Farmer,
How long did it take you to draw that pic?

Quick Reply: Replacing Power Wire Terminals & Maybe Power Wires? (With Pictures)