Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Replacement turbo suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement turbo suggestions

Hey all, I am looking to replace my Hx40 turbo that is leaking oil, and wanted to hear some more input.

As far as I know my truck has 150 HP injectors, South Bend dual disc clutch, Quadzilla Adrenaline, hot rod vp44, and FASS 150 fuel system.

It was recommended that I go with a 62/75/14 turbo, however a new turbo is out of the question, I have no option but to go used, which I understand is a crap shoot.

There is a Garrett turbo on CL for $350, guy said in a text that the specs are 63/70/68, the 68 number doesn't sound right.

Anyone shed some light on this?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd guess the "68" is .68 a/r ratio, fairly tight on the exhaust side. Sounds like fun.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 AM

I can say that I learned the slow way and out grew my first HTT 62/12 Turbo. I know you said you cannot do a new one. I would call a few places and see if they offer rebuilds etc. also check the Net and see if you have any independant turo reuilders in your area. I have one close to me and he rebuilt my old HTT Phat shaft and My friend has had it the last few years.

my 62/14 still got hot with my 150 injectors I never towed much. I had a dropped Valve and took out my piston in past. So when i did a complete rebuild I put in the Cam which allowed me to go bigger on a turbo. I love my 64/71/14 super special. however I did lose a little bottom end compared to stock turbo and the 62/14 but i also went to 37" tires which didn't help.
but with all I have now towing I have never seen anything over 1150 on temp and really with this charger it comes on really fast around 1300-1400 RPM's. and pulls well with all that I have in the truck. How do you use your truck? DD? Tow alot? etc.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 01-01-2014 at 06:47 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 PM

Im new to this and I don't understand what the deal is on turbos. I can look on ebay or just do a search and find them reasonable cheap. Are the turbos for a 12 valve cheaper? I hear a lot of horror stories about people paying $5000.00 grand for a turbo! Is most of this in labor or something? Jeeze you can buy a new 12 valve engine for 8 grand. How can one little part be so high. I came here tonight looking for answers to this question. My trucks are okay right now but Im just being proactive and trying to head this off before Im faced with the problem. Why does it cost 5 grand to replace a turbo? Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12-Valve...6e6644&vxp=mtr Is this a new turbo for $395.00 ? And if so Im assuming it cost $4500 to have it installed? I know Im missing something right?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:39 AM

I have never spent more than 1000.00 for a turbo . I do see twin turbo set ups that are 2k-5k pending what they are etc. like anything you buy aftermarket usually you want bigger or plain better than stock if that is what you are looking for. most people if they bomb the truck they will usually go bigger and better on a turbo. you need a turbo matched with things you have done bigger injectors, more fuel demand etc. like the original poster did on this post. if a person wanted a stock-like turbo new or rebuilt well I can get those for less than 500$. but those have limits like the original poster. he has bigger injectors and a performance box. I have never known anyone personally to spend 5k on a single turbo. So you said you came on here to find your answer? what is your question? was your question about the 5k$. No for 99% of us a turbo shouldn't cost 5k$. but I'm not sure what you were looking at that said it was 5k$. 12V and most 24V non Common Rail Turbo's in stock form are close to the same. I say that lightly.
They are different if you have a auto or stick and changed over the few years due to emissions.
This post was originally started by someone else and a question they had with a 24 V.
There are many threads on this site located under the "search" column that can be found about turbos and you can custom search it to just look in the 12Valve section too.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:31 AM

Thank you very much DIESELWRKS, You answered that question thoroughly and completely. That's why I like this forum so much. Yes my question was about the 5k, Because Ive heard so many people talking about buying a Diesel only to pull a Travel trailer or a Truck camper right. And a few years later at 150,000 miles the turbo had to be replaced and it cost them like 5 grand. I just keep hearing of this and reading about this over and over again on another forum I belong to. I think they must be just replacing their stock turbo with the same stock turbo because these are older folks who just want there trucks back running again. Sounds to me like they just went to the wrong shop to have the work done. Because I cant see it taking a good mechanic more than a few hours to replace a turbo. I just wanted to get to the bottom of this once and for all. Stories like that can make a guy scared to own a Diesel.

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Willard
Is this a new turbo for $395.00 ? And if so Im assuming it cost $4500 to have it installed? I know Im missing something right?
Before you consider that cheap Chinese knock off, read these threads and watch the Holset video...........

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=chinese+turbo

No way I would risk my engine.......

But yea, you are right, shouldn't be over 15-2000 even with genuine parts and a mechanic installing unless you are running a wild aftermarket unit or had to replace more than just the turbo.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 PM

Thanks Patdaly, That's good to know, and I just learned some more,
Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
Before you consider that cheap Chinese knock off, read these threads and watch the Holset video...........

No way I would risk my engine.......

But yea, you are right, shouldn't be over 15-2000 even with genuine parts and a mechanic installing unless you are running a wild aftermarket unit or had to replace more than just the turbo.
What's ironic is that many CTT turbos are built and tested in Wuxi, China.

So make sure you avoid the cheap Chinese knock-off. Insist on the GENIUNE Chinese Cummins turbo

Most CTT turbos are still made in either Charleston or Huddersfield though, so the odds of you getting a Chinese made Holset for something you'd have are pretty slim. Generally they only show up on old engines (N14, M11) that cannot be sold in emissions-regulated countries anymore.