Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Removing 3" body lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing 3" body lift

When I bought my 2000, it came with a 3 inch body lift (cab and box), and 315/75R16 tires mounted on AR wheels (9.5" rim?). I've already swapped the wheels back to stock, but now I need to remove the body lift in order to get the truck into my 7' high garage -- I want to install a TracRack that will extend up too high. Besides, the stock wheels look way too small for the bigger opening. I have no idea who performed the original install (previous owner moved from AZ to MN). I planned on removing the box first since there are two pieces of 2x3 channel welded to the frame above the axle (spacers?). This will also give me access to the fuel tank to install a new 1/2 stand-pipe -- kill two birds with one stone.

My question: is there anything I should be looking out for when removing the lifts under the cab? Three areas that come to mind are the steering, transmission, and transfer case linkage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Franklin
Old 02-17-2005, 06:52 PM

Yea there are a lot of things to watch out for. Rad hoses, fan shroud, steering shaft, shifter linkage, brake lines, heater hoses (it's pretty tight there), Air intake hoses or inner cooler to man and turbo to inner cooler, fuel tank hoses and fill hose, tie up wire harnesses and make sure they don't get pinched, watch the bumpers they may have modified brackets. Good luck
Old 04-04-2005, 03:01 PM

Hemi Cat, thanks for the list of items to check. It came in handy. I pulled the pucks/lift out yesterday -- took more effort that I thought. The bumpers did have modified brackets -- it's a trip to the junk yard for replacements.

The guy helping me felt the steering shaft was a "self adjusting" linkage, and the shaft would "work itself back in". The steering is quite stiff, as well as the shifter (auto). Is there any way to manually adjust the linkage, or do I have to give it time and a few rough roads? We split up the work, so I didn't personally look at the shaft. It was 1:30am this morning when I made it back home -- too tired to check it.

Thanks, Franklin
Old 04-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Banned

watch a lot of the hockey puck kits come witha asmnall extension for the steering shaft, taken out the pucks ya better loot for an extension. meh I woulda dug the floor out b4 I dropped my truck......