Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Remove Manifold or Turbo for EGT??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove Manifold or Turbo for EGT??

I searched previous threads for this topic but have a different question. It seems safe to ASSume that the manifold or the turbo should be removed before drilling the manifold for thermocoupler. Is removing the manifold the easier option because you can do the remainder of the work (drilling/tapping) on a workbench etc? The manifold removal looks simple enough 12 mounting bolts/nuts 4 to the turbo and it's out. Any thoughts? I see that there has been much posted about gauge installation maybe there can be a gauge FAQ section with a compilation of photos. Just an idea.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:17 PM

I took the turbo off an did mine it was priety easy just stick you a old rag up in side the port and put come grease on your tap then blow it out with air and then remove your rag.The turbo is easyer to pull.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:50 PM

i didnt remove anything. i put the shop vac next to the bit while drilling, welded the bung, and called it good.

some use a magnet, some grease the bit and drill only so deep then clean it and regrease.

chips *should* blow through the turbo when its started. i felt safe taking that risk as i felt it was minimal. if you dont want to take that risk, i'd say its easier to take the turbo should off, not the manifold.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by pgilles
i didnt remove anything. ... some grease the bit and drill only so deep then clean it and regrease.

chips *should* blow through the turbo when its started. i felt safe taking that risk as i felt it was minimal.
same here.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:40 PM

Everything left on. Plenty of grease on the bit, then used a magnet on a stick to feel around inside. *thanks to RickD*. No problems on mine.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

I just greased the drill bit and went slow and then greased the tap and went slow with that. Once done with that I ran a magnet down there a couple of times just to get the big stuff out. Done 4 like that and haven't had any problems.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:15 PM

You can loosen the four turbo bolts, spread the turbo apart from the manifold and put a piece of cardboard between the two. Drill and tap then fire the beast up to blow shavings out of manifold then tighten the four bolts back up and your safely done in 20 min.

Mooseman
Old 01-13-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems its whatever your comfortable with..... I loosened the nuts holding the turbo on enough to slide a piece of cardboard in between the manifold and the turbo and drilled and tapped. Then I was able to slide a finger in the manifold to feel that the threads were not going to deep while tapping. Then flashed the engine for a second to blow out any thing in the manifold, removed the cardboard and tightend the studs.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 PM

Thanks again all

I'll get the gauge cups mounted and the wiring for the lights finished up in the morning I will tackle the drilling after that. I think I will opt for drilling while all still connected. I went to the dealer and scored the metal gasket manifold to turbo just in case (only$7). Thanks for all the input your guys are great. I realize dtr gets gauge questions daily so thanks for not jumping down the throats of us newbies.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:32 PM

What kind of grease do you all use on the bits?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:40 PM

Wheel bearing grease or vasaline anything that is thick.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ratsun
Seems its whatever your comfortable with..... I loosened the nuts holding the turbo on enough to slide a piece of cardboard in between the manifold and the turbo and drilled and tapped. Then I was able to slide a finger in the manifold to feel that the threads were not going to deep while tapping. Then flashed the engine for a second to blow out any thing in the manifold, removed the cardboard and tightend the studs.

Bad idea because the engine can suck it back up inside the cylinder.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Chapter President

For the 20-30 min. removal time it takes for the turbo to come off why chance it? Plus, while you have the turbo off you can drill through the center divider and wastegate all six cylinders.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by airman
Wheel bearing grease or vasaline anything that is thick.

Thanks.

Would any of you happen to know of a site that has good detailed instructions about tapping and drilling for the turbo and manifold? It's for a 03 btw.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Chapter President

I think TST peformance had a detailed write up.

Quick Reply: Remove Manifold or Turbo for EGT??