Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Remote starters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are scotchlocks ? are they those crimpers that join 1 solid wire and 1 butt ended wire ?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:42 AM

Its a double barrled piece of plastic that goes around one wire then you slide a wire in the other barrle and crimp. They sell them that at Lowes, Home Depot, for Trailer Wiring etc. They are very unreliable and give false voltages/ impeadences, etc.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:32 AM

that's what i have my alarm / starter installed with maybe that's my problem with intermittent starter operation. thanks AAmeeting
Old 11-19-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jerry & Tom,
Thanks for the additional info.

Car thieves in the Dallas area, with their pipe line to Mexico, has always been a meca for theft of older GM cars. Now the popularity of stolen pickups (including Diesels) is apparently growing.

I don't know if these security systems are theft proof (comments?), but it's nice to have the two way feature telling you-right away-that your truck is being driven off. That's how I see it, anyway.

Remote start & Cool down timers, to me, are just a daily added value....makes parting with the money easier.

RJ
Old 11-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rjohnson
I don't know if these security systems are theft proof (comments?), but it's nice to have the two way feature telling you-right away-that your truck is being driven off. That's how I see it, anyway.
I don't think anything is theft proof, if they want your truck bad enough, they will get it.

An alarm will just be an annoyance that the would be thief would rather not deal with, and he/she will move on to an easier target.

Spend 5 minutes disabling the alarm on yours, risking getting caught in the process, or move on to the next truck that doesn't have an alarm, and much less risk of getting caught.

The little remote in your pocket makes it much easier for you to grab your weapon of choice and prevent your truck from driving off, we all know how to ignore a car alarm going off, since it happens so often, thats if you can even hear it in the house.

phox
Old 11-20-2005, 10:36 AM

Phox...Good points. Like someone once said, If they want your truck bad enough, they will drag it onto a flat bed and drive away!

AAMEETING - you have a PM.

RJ
Old 11-20-2005, 05:36 PM

I believe DEI has a GPS option abailable and a monthly rate plan so even if the get it you can track it, see how fast it has gone and take a satelite photo of it. But thats taking it a little far. I have insurance for a reason too. http://www.directed.com/security/python/gps.asp

Just in case you interested.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 AM

you could also jest set up a kill switch attached to your e-brake light so unless your e-brake is activated you cant remote start
Old 11-21-2005, 02:52 AM

My truck is a stick and I have a remote start. I can't remember the make will have to go look in the truck, it says Ultra on the kew pads. But here is how it works incase someone wants to know. To shut the truck off put it in nuetral and set the parkbrake then press the break peddle and you get a flash of the park and dash lights. The system is now armed and you turn the truck off and get out (truck is still running) when I close the door the truck shuts off. You can now remote start the truck. If the door is opened for any reason the remote start is no longer works intill you get in and start normally. The thinking is if the truck was closed up with it running then it is safe start and not drive away. I haven't tried it yet but if I open and close the door with out getting out put in gear and hit the remote sart I would gess it would try and start. It works great has the pit stop function and also runs the power door locks. Don't know the price cam with the truck.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:01 AM

As Shawn just confirmed there are remote start systems specifically designed for use on a manual transmission vehicle.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by AAmeeting
Install should take about 2 hours for a pro. If it takes anylonger than they have not been doing it long enough.
I would like to respectfully disagree with these statements. Depending on the features from the system that are utilized and the type of vehicle I would not be surprised if the install took longer. A keyless entry/remote start maybe 2 hours and less, been there done that too, but a fully integrated alarm taking advantage of many features available will likely take a fair bit more than 2 hours.

BTW - The last place I would have anything installed is a box store. It appears that AA is one of the few knowledgeable people that work at these places. IMHO he is the exception, at least in my area he would definitely be the exception.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rhino
I would like to respectfully disagree with these statements. Depending on the features from the system that are utilized and the type of vehicle I would not be surprised if the install took longer. A keyless entry/remote start maybe 2 hours and less, been there done that too, but a fully integrated alarm taking advantage of many features available will likely take a fair bit more than 2 hours.

BTW - The last place I would have anything installed is a box store. It appears that AA is one of the few knowledgeable people that work at these places. IMHO he is the exception, at least in my area he would definitely be the exception.
I was refering to basic installation. As for a box store I would disagree. They HAVE to take care of the customer and are more able to do so. But I will say there are some low IQ's with every place of business. Thats why I put some emphasis on talking to the installer that is going to be doing the work. See how long he has been doing it etc. I do feel what your saying though.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:36 PM

They all will work on a manual but it can still be a liability even with safety measures in place. Honestly you would probably never have a problem. They all have whats called a neutral safety wire which has to read ground before the truck will start, kind of like a neutral light on the dash or something similar. But you can also just ground it and your truck could be in gear and jump or drive away. Larger store will not do it but most mom and pop places most likely will. Lawsuits are what keep us out of doing it. If something where to go wrong it we would be held liable. You get the idea. I am going to bed now....