Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Remote starters

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote starters

So who has remote starts?
Which system do you have?
How do you like it?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:25 PM

polar start

i have a polar start alarm/starter and have had numerous problems very finicky it works when it wants too, i would not recommend it. i have not decided what to go with next. it gets hard shopping for a man trans.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:31 AM

I am an Install Tech at Circuit City. I will tell you the only thing you need to know is DEI (Directed electronics Incorporated). It carries a LIFETIME warranty on everything but the transmiters and you can start your car from 750 ft or more away. They have a turbo timer built in, You can even turn your heated seats on and off. I have a two way version that confirms the start and beeps or vibrates to let you know if an intruder is messing with you rig. They wait for the grid heaters and are pretty cheap. 159 installed. I love mine,
P.S. Dont mess with CODE, Audiovox, and some other random no namers. They are overcomplicated and other wise the "Daewoo" of remote starts.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:17 AM

dont waste your money on a remote start unless you have an exhauat brake or a high idle kit. Any idle under 1200 rpm the engine doesnt make heat, hence it wont warm up, and if its idled for longer than 15-20 minutes like this could cause damage.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I gotta respectfully disagree with ya Smokey. It's not just warm up, it's starting cycle completion, its oil circulation, all before you get in the truck. I can walk up to the truck get in and go when it's very cold outside, no waiting. In the winter (after a quick stop) I can restart the truck and it is warming up nice & toasty. In the summer the A/C is running and cooling down the interior. I only let it idle for 5-8 mins then go. This gives the engine time for all of the above. PLUS the added benifit of scaring the heck out of people when the truck fires up and no one is inside.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:55 AM

AAmeeting,

Is the remote starter also a security system?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:01 AM

Farmer Dave. Mine is a remote start and alarm with a two way feature. 159.00 will get you a remote start and keyless with a long range antenna. One like mine with the security will get you for about 499.00 with the two way feature. Python 881xp. They are good, they really dont warm the truck up a whole lot beacause there is no load on the motor but they do get the oil warm and circulate it. Mine turns my heated seats on and that helps. It does get to temp faster if you use the remote start. You can also get out of the truck and take your keys with the engine running. It is called a pit stop, you hit the remote start button and take you keys out and the truck stays running awsome in the winter. Tom
Old 11-17-2005, 11:19 AM

Well, I have the high idle programed for my truck so the load isn't a real concern. I thought that it would be nice to have a alarm also, but not for that price. If I had the keyless entry that would be good enough. When you take your key out does it lock the steering wheel so that it would be harder to steal when running? Just curious.

I think I have found what I need for Christmas! Thanks AAmeeting.

Also, how long does it take to do have it put in. Can I do it myself or should I have them put it in?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by AAmeeting
I am an Install Tech at Circuit City. I will tell you the only thing you need to know is DEI (Directed electronics Incorporated). It carries a LIFETIME warranty on everything but the transmiters and you can start your car from 750 ft or more away. They have a turbo timer built in, You can even turn your heated seats on and off. I have a two way version that confirms the start and beeps or vibrates to let you know if an intruder is messing with you rig. They wait for the grid heaters and are pretty cheap. 159 installed. I love mine,
P.S. Dont mess with CODE, Audiovox, and some other random no namers. They are overcomplicated and other wise the "Daewoo" of remote starts.
Does it work on the stick trucks?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:34 PM

Most places won't install a remote start on a manual (Stick), due to liablity.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by farmer dave
Well, I have the high idle programed for my truck so the load isn't a real concern. I thought that it would be nice to have a alarm also, but not for that price. If I had the keyless entry that would be good enough. When you take your key out does it lock the steering wheel so that it would be harder to steal when running? Just curious.
Yes, the steering is locked with the key out, as well as the shifter.
Also, if you step on the brake while it's in remote start mode, the engine cuts off immediatly, thats if you can get in with the door's locked and the alarm active.

Yes, I've startled many people cranking it up when they're walking y.

I think after install, my Viper 791XV set me back around $700.
Originally Posted by farmer dave
Also, how long does it take to do have it put in. Can I do it myself or should I have them put it in?
It took they guy where I bought mine pretty much all day on a Saturday (5 hours or so) to install mine, and it was money well spent IMHO.

phox
Old 11-17-2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
.....I think after install, my Viper 791XV set me back around $700.
It took they guy where I bought mine pretty much all day on a Saturday (5 hours or so) to install mine, and it was money well spent IMHO.
phox
Been curious about just such a system for a while.
Found info on Viper 560xv...but nothing on 791xv? Not even on here..... http://viper.com/security/viper/viper_se_rs.asp

What's the dif? assume 2-way? Others?

RJ
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 PM

The 791xv is the same thing as the 881xp. The 881 is a different version and is made by "Python" which is the exact same as "Viper" why the do this I dont know there is also a "Clifford" and one other one that is the exact same just the remote looks slightly different. Install should take about 2 hours for a pro. If it takes anylonger than they have not been doing it long enough.
As for a stick..... that is a pretty big liability and no major shop will touch it. Espeicially a truck that will just drive away. There are ways however. They make a laser switch that recognizes if the shifter is in neutral and will alow the truck to start. This however will get up in the atmosphere in price. There is a brake switch, that is connected and if you push it while your keys are out it will kill the truck. If you have one installed make sure they do not use scotchlocks, T taps are below okay. the best way is to strip the wire poke a hole put you wire through, wrap it and solder and tape. If it takes too long dont be afraid to be skeptical. Talk to the installer before you get it installed and make sure it is someone with a head on their shoulders.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Been curious about just such a system for a while.
Found info on Viper 560xv...but nothing on 791xv? Not even on here..... http://viper.com/security/viper/viper_se_rs.asp

What's the dif? assume 2-way? Others?

RJ
Try www.directed.com
Old 11-17-2005, 07:38 PM

I was thinking about this this evening. You could make your own neutral sensing device with some micro switches. Position them on the shift tower so that as long as none of them are closed, the shifter has to be in neutral.

Quick Reply: Remote starters