Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start

Has anyone installed remote start on a Manual Transmission? I know they are for sale. Just want to know if there is anyone who has done it and what they think of it. 40 below in the morning it would be nice to stay in the warm kitchen and fire the truck up. The running outside halfdressed technique is getting old.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MY friend did it on his truck a few weeks later his dad drove it and left it in gear, the next morning it fired up and hit another car!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 PM

I had one in my ranger years ago by Auto Start. You had to set the truck before you get out, and leave it running. When you get out, shut the doors, you hit the button on the remote and it will shut off. If you open the doors without the truck running, it will cancel the operation and won't let you start it with the remote. Its to safe guard against leaving it in gear and starting it.

But if you're in -40, one of the worst things you can do is to let it idle for extended periods. Look into getting an Espar or Webasto. Never have a cold start again, and you can hook it to a remote. The timer is a better setup though.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Remote start

I don't idle for extended periods, I plug in when it's anything single digits or below. I just like to let everything get circulated for a few minutes before putting a load on anything.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:10 PM

All the remote starters I have seen for manual trans, require you to do a setup each time you want to park the truck, IF you want it to start with the remote, Like said above, once set, or "armed" as they call it, If anyone opens the doors, it will "disarm" itself and you have to go thru the sequence all again
Old 10-31-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've installed several remotes on manuals, they are very safe unless a person is foolish enough to bypass the safetys.

I leave my truck parked with the heater control on recirculate, fan on full and plugged in all night. Start it from inside on the those below zero days and have a warm cab in five minutes. My remotes won't let it idle for more than ten minutes if started remotely.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:49 AM

Remote Start

infidel, how difficult is the install? Have you done it on a Diesel? Any particular brand you recommend? Also How much will my chip interfere? As it has both the cool down timer and High idle features for cold weather.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:51 AM

whoops

Sorry didn't read the last bit of your message looks like you installed yours then. Sounds like a nice setup
Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an Astro Start on my 5 speed, it works well. I had the seller install it so it has a lifetime parts warranty. Its also tied into the wait to start light.

How it works on my is when you press down the parking brake it arms it, parking lights come on and the truck stays running. Its tied in the door switch so once the door is opened you have 30 seconds to shut it, and the truck runs until the door is closed to ensure its not in gear. If you open the door again it disarms.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks crazydave I am having trouble finding a dealer that is willing to do the install. I told them I would sign a waiver but I figured all the failsafes that they use would be enough, either way so far they have all said no go.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 PM

you must live in a weird part of the country...then again freaking near every car around here has a remote start...
Cant see why they wont install, its designed for a standard, and near impossible to have, start in gear as the above poster eluded to, IF that persons truck started in gear, they did not instal a proper remote start, or more likely they used a remoted start that was for an automatic only
Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by weiercd
infidel, how difficult is the install? Have you done it on a Diesel? Any particular brand you recommend? Also How much will my chip interfere? As it has both the cool down timer and High idle features for cold weather.
They are very time consuming to install.
First one on a Dodge diesel took me 10 hours, got it down to 8 after a couple.
There must be at least 20 wires you have to tap into, no plug-ins at all.
Hardest part is separating the needed wires from the looms they are in, most are twisted in there so tight the only way to get them out is to cut them.
It's highly recommended you have a factory service manual to find wire locations even though the remote's instructions tell you what color wires to tap into.

I've used Valent remotes from JC Whitney that cost under $75 and have been working great for over ten years.
Even the cheap ones have so many features it's hard to see how they can make any money selling them.

I have no idea how your chip might interfere.