Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Regular Comp Vs. Drag Comp

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular Comp Vs. Drag Comp

OK guys Im thinking about the drag comp. I know it only fuels past 2600 RPM on level 5 but does it have to be on level 5x5 or just anywhere in level 5? I was also wondering does it give a seat of the pants difference feel or just say a time slip difference.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:35 AM

Re:Regular Comp Vs. Drag Comp

[quote author=Jamie Attridge link=board=7;threadid=14335;start=0#134754 date=1052053142]<br>OK guys Im thinking about the drag comp. I know it only fuels past 2600 RPM on level 5 but does it have to be on level 5x5 or just anywhere in level 5? I was also wondering does it give a seat of the pants difference feel or just say a time slip difference.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Only in 5x5 as far as I know.<br><br>Yes you will feel the difference, least I could. Its an extra 50hp or so at 2800+rpms........
Old 05-04-2003, 10:36 AM

I have always heard and read that the extra fueling is only on 5x5. Any other setting will still defuel.<br><br>You might try going to the edge website and reading through their forums. Lots of information.<br><br>www.edgeproductsinc.com
Old 05-04-2003, 12:46 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=7;threadid=14335;start=0#134797 date=1052068483]<br>I'm not real sure exactly what is meant be the standard Comp &quot;defueling&quot; at higher RPM - are we talking totally cutting off fuel flow, restricting down to what the stock programming (without the Comp) would be - or what?<br>[/quote]<br><br>You've sorta nailed it right here, Gary. The standard comp, by about 26 - 2700 RPM will begin to ramp back fueling gradually, so by governed RPM you are fueling at stock levels again. Its intended to ease the VP44 down slowly from its overfueling mode. The DRAG Comp, on the other hand, will simply keep its peak fueling mode going until the engine governs out.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-04-2003, 02:58 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Gary- According to the torrque charts found here the comp will add fuel above 2600 rpm. It will not drop back to the stock fueling until (my estimate) somewhere around 2800 or 2900. <br>As far as I understood the publications about the DragComp, it counteracts the stock defueling- hence keeping torque up to redline. <br><br>As for all boxes you can read an approximate increase of fuel over stock by comparing the torque curves. 20%more torque means 20% more fuel. As you see on this pic supplied by Edge they seem to follow the stock fueling quite strictly above 2000 rpm. <br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 05-04-2003, 07:34 PM

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=7;threadid=14335;start=0#134847 date=1052081246]<br>I'm generally aware of the Drag Comp - but none of the details, especially as compared to the standard Comp. and other than NOT defueling at higher RPM, I have no idea what the other differences might be - and Edge doesn't even show the Drag comp on their website, let alone a dyno chart... <br>[/quote]<br><br>I don't have any dyno charts handy from my 01 HO (sorry). A DRAG Comp's torque curve will look (and peak) exactly the same as a Comp, only it will stay flat until governed RPM. The Comp's curve will begin to drop off at about 2400 RPM. The DRAG Comps HP curve will continue to rise (HP = torque x RPM/5252) until governed speed, whereas a Comp's HP curve will begin drop off as defueling occurs.<br><br>I'll try to give an explanation of each box here:<br><br>Comp - After 2000 RPM (all RPM figures are give or take a couple hundred RPM, due to truck/altitude differential) the Comp pretty much follows the stock fueling curve (as Alpine said), only at higher fueling levels. At about 2600 RPM, the Comp begins to drop its higher fueling levels, and by 3000 RPM, its gradually reduced fueling back to stock levels. In other words, at 3000 RPM, the Comp is doing no fueling at all, just timing.<br><br>DRAG Comp - After 2000 RPM, the DRAG Comp still follows the stock curve, at its higher fueling levels. However, it never backs off on the fueling. At governed RPM or speed, the DRAG Comp is still pouring the same fuel to the engine that it was at 2600 RPM (the point at which the Comp is usually fueling the heaviest).<br><br>Rod
Old 05-05-2003, 07:01 AM

Hey Rod so do the TST boxes start to defuel there as well or are they like a drag comp already? Im just exploring all options here so I want to know which will work best for me.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:52 AM

[quote author=Jamie Attridge link=board=7;threadid=14335;start=0#134970 date=1052136060]<br>Hey Rod so do the TST boxes start to defuel there as well or are they like a drag comp already? Im just exploring all options here so I want to know which will work best for me.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The TST box and the TST Competition behave like the Comp and DRAG Comp vis-a-vis defueling. The Competition box will do some defueling at about 3000 RPM, to help preserve pump life. This is done because the Competition box is running the VP44 a fair bit harder than the DRAG Comp does. If you really don't want any defueling at all, the TST box can be ordered with a custom program in it as well.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-07-2003, 02:11 PM

Now I gotta find someone that wants my comp box!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:44 PM

I just recently switched from the comp to the drag comp and I can tell you that it feels much stronger over all. The Cummins just loves to pull to 3400 rpm now. Unless you are running a big turbo the Drag comp is not for you. One of my buddies just switched to a Drag comp from a comp and his EGT are not managanble now. He needs more air (twins). He used to run in 5x5 all the time and egt (ect engine) were resonable. Now he has to run it on 3 or less. I am not sure on the exact programming but I would say the it fuels much heavier on all levels. <br><br><br>Malcolm
Old 05-08-2003, 08:00 AM

Mac does it only fuel on 5x5 or if you turn it to 5x1 does it still fuel as aggressively.

Quick Reply: Regular Comp Vs. Drag Comp