Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Redline Vs Tst

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline Vs Tst

My brother-inlaw is looking for a box to turn up his 00', he wants a hot one!! Witch one of these boxes will work for him? I see the TST Stacks well with the Smarty, He also wants alittle more RPM, will the Smarty do that?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Registered

smarty takes off the defueling so it pulls harder through the rpm band. mainly above 2k
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

The redline box really isn't a streetable box. Especially with it set on kill. It'll trash an injection pump in 60 secs and will make mince meat out of a tranny. The TST would be a better everyday box and it still adds an adjustable 120hp. And trust me, it DEFINATELY stacks well with the smarty and with the TST/Smarty stack the truck will fuel all the way to 3500.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:57 PM
DTR Advertiser

I own all 3 big hp boxes as well as a smarty for stacking on the tst or redline. I make the most power with a drag comp alone. I have dynoed the same dyno, same day to be sure I could give all of them a fair shot. I have daily driven a smarty and redline and it felt great but the numbers were not there. Same way stacking a smarty on the drag comp. It felt great but was down about 50hp compared to just a drag comp. I am not bashing the smarty, it does a lot of things real good but on trucks over 500hp it usually costs power. Like I said I own all 3 and anyone looking for a redline or tst I will cut you a good deal on a slightly used one, but the drag comp I am keeping. Tim
Old 06-28-2006, 09:01 PM

I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't have problems with their redline box.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:03 PM

Hey Tim- is there any way you could post the graphs of the different combos? I'd be interesting to see. Would you expect the smarty/tst or smarty/redline or outperform the drag comp on a load dyno and more accurately represent what you feel on the street?

BTW are you a Mitusa vendor now?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bswope
My brother-inlaw is looking for a box to turn up his 00', he wants a hot one!! Witch one of these boxes will work for him? I see the TST Stacks well with the Smarty, He also wants alittle more RPM, will the Smarty do that?
The smarty will eliminate the 2700 rpm defuel which by itself adds 500 usable rpms to redline plus it will pull hard past redline. Mine pulls hard to 3500 then will creep up to 3700 + A blue chip or tst box would add a lot of fuel if he has enough air and the tranny to hold it.

From what I've been told the redline actually takes control away from the truck's ecm in order to rev to 4k which I'm thinking would not make it a good stack for the smarty. FMS or even a APB should complement the smarty better. Besides, unless you've gone into the motor you don't want to be revving past redline ayways.

How high does the drag comp rev to? 3.2k?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timinva
I own all 3 big hp boxes as well as a smarty for stacking on the tst or redline. I make the most power with a drag comp alone. I have dynoed the same dyno, same day to be sure I could give all of them a fair shot. I have daily driven a smarty and redline and it felt great but the numbers were not there. Same way stacking a smarty on the drag comp. It felt great but was down about 50hp compared to just a drag comp. I am not bashing the smarty, it does a lot of things real good but on trucks over 500hp it usually costs power. Like I said I own all 3 and anyone looking for a redline or tst I will cut you a good deal on a slightly used one, but the drag comp I am keeping. Tim
Interesting results, which I believe.

My old three level Power Edge Pro stacked with an EZ gave 10 hp more than the Comp ... same day on Edge's dyno. The Edge boys weren't surprised at the results and had an explaination, which I've forgotten now. Kept me from moving to the Comp for three years.

The most positive benefit about the Smarty is the power increase without any boxes. Boxes are a big source of VP44 failures, according to II. Most especially fueling boxes, with the Red Line being the worst.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 AM

Thanks guys, He wants to set it up for pullin but in like a street class that allows boxes,intake and exhaust! I told him that he needs to up grade the tranny and fuel system and get a hot vp pump from II, anyone runnin one of those vp's?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:58 AM

Check with some of the high hp vp guys.. most have not made more hp with the hrvp.. the lower hp guys have been real happy with the increases...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different combo's work better in different situations. There really isn't a one size fits all. This goes with fueling enhancements as well as turbos, trans mod's, etc. This forum will help a lot with determining what combo works for what your goal is. One thing to watch out for is that when someone says (for example), that they really like their HRVP, and someone else says they really like their Mach 7 injectors, and drag comp. This doesn't mean that a HRVP, Mach 7's, and a drag comp would make a good combo. It might...but it's doesn't mean that it will.

My $.02 worth...

Paul
Old 07-01-2006, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bswope
Thanks guys, He wants to set it up for pullin but in like a street class that allows boxes,intake and exhaust! I told him that he needs to up grade the tranny and fuel system and get a hot vp pump from II, anyone runnin one of those vp's?
If he has a failing vp44 then maybe hrvp would be a good option, but if not its a lot of money that could have been spent on other bombs. The pump from II would cost as much as a box, intake, and exhaust