Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Red Fuel / Home heating oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's intersting to hear, BIG. As long as I have been on this site, and for as many time as this subject has come up, you are one of a very few people who have reported being questioned or stopped. The temptation looms large when the pumps are side by side and you see the difference in price, that's for sure.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those DOT guys in FL are always looking for money. If you drive a pickup,van, or bigger you have to pull through these AGRICULTURE checks on secondary roads. They do not require it on the interstates, so you are alright there. They have a CABBAGE COP on almost every road into FL from some county roads to most all state highways. Most of them just wave you on by, but you get that occasional jerk. I always try to distract them when they stop me down there.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:32 PM

I routinely buy "off-road" red diesel for my boat. Like most folks are saying, it's the same stuff as "on road" but with the dye. The boat get much rougher use than a pickup and runs great on the "off road" diesel. Check my photos to see the boat with a turbocharged Volvo diesel. Most of the time it is given full throttle for takeoff, runs 3000 to 3500 RPM and isn't shut off during a fishing day.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
One thing I haven't quite figured out is why in most states if you buy off-road in 10,000 gallon loads you have the choice of red or clear.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:07 AM

I guess they figure you must have a lot of heating to do as a huge business needing 10k gallons in which case they'd expect the company to not trying to drive on untaxed fuels. I thought the fees were based off the vehicle's carrying capacity, varied from $2k to around $15k in fees.

Yes #2 is quite similiar to fuel oil but as Commatoze found fuel oil has a higher sulfur content and additives. So other than emissions the two should burn quite similar. From what I've been told by Mobil, CMS, and BP the fuel delivered to the station is only about 40 cetane and it is up to the individual stations to add their additives. Most stations bump the cetane upto about 42 and treat it for their region/ season.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by Pop-Pop
I routinely buy "off-road" red diesel for my boat. ......
Yes, my sister has twin Yanmar's on hers and also buys dyed diesel fuel. The engines run great on it and smoke very little. She previously had a boat with twin Cat's, and they left a smoke trail for miles running the same fuel.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BIGHEAD
I have put around 230 K on my truck, with over 200 k being on red fuel, unfiltered at that. Call me stupid, but the bulk plant I buy from doesn't have a filter on their pump. I don't have a filter on my transfer pump, but will eventually, if I ever put it on. I have always relied on that 28 dollar NAPA filter to do the job in my fuel canister. So, DO YOU FEEL LUCKY? Why YES!! I have never had any fuel related issues with the red stuff. I did have one of those CABBAGE COPS in Florida, scare the crap out of me one time, when she asked what color was the fuel in my transfer tank. I said RED, it is for my tractor. She then asked if I had it in my truck,I said there is NO WAY, I would run that dirty stuff in a 40K dollar truck. She let me ride on.
You are lucky.
Running the diesel on the red stuff is not the issue as far a will it run on it, the real issue is what happens if you get caught with red stuff in the tank. There were some guys talking about running ATF in the tank and one replied it will turn the fuel red and the guy replied "SO"?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:45 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

It's sounding like you have to check with your individual supplier. Maybe some are supplying #2 to save labor/ logistics, others supplying the older stuff with sulfer? It looks like both answers are being posted. I quit looking into it myself when I found the tanks I had weren't gonna be useable to keep fuel at home. I do remember it mentioned here a few times, that if you use fuel with sulfer, you should stick with it. I couldn't locate with search, but it was posted that sulfer swells the seals in the pump, not necessarily hurting them, but if you change back, the seals will also try to go back or weaken and you can have pump problems. I di accidently use a kerosene pump last year (same island as deisel). I put a bottle of additive in just in case (I was mostly worried about water and how long it sat in the supply tank). Never noticed a difference, except even though untaxed, it cost more a gallon.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Around here in my neck of the woods, if you run farm tags and especially if you have a tank in back, you will get checked by the state tax commission, as far as the red being low sulpher that is not true it still has all the sulpher in it the red dye represents both high sulpher and non taxed. I have been checked a few times when I had my dozer buisness and had a refill tank in back of my farm tagged truck, never caught but it is hefty fine here in Oklahoma. Another not if you do not stop for the little white state car when he is honking and flashing his yellow light he gets mad and calls for either a sherrif or local police to pull you over, but nothing can come from his anger or having to call for someone to pull you over as he is not a officer of the law, he just gets mad, I have never pulled over for them I made them call for someone, I even had one follow me to the farm and stop at the no tresspassing sign at the gate and wait for the sherrif, Ha Ha Ha..Goodluck,,Rick