Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A rebuttal to DON M. and his new choice of clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 10:49 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:A rebuttal to DON M. and his new choice of clutch

Don,

We got a little time to do the plate loads that you asked, this is for the 13" design.

This is the clamp load of a stock pressure plate. As you will see, it is at 2766 lb of plate load.

This is the clamp load after we have modified it. It is now at 3455.

As for the Centerforce cover, we modify it the same way and the weights, depending on the RPM, will add more load. This clutch is only for racing applications where the truck is capable of achieving higher RPMs. It would not make a difference on the lower RPMs.

Peter
Old 12-10-2002, 01:18 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Peter, I was starting to give up on ya Man. Those look great. A 25% increase in clamp Force!!! Yeah those dern weights are tough to get to increase the clamp with lower RPMS.
I understand the mods you do to the pressure plate to do this also.

Now I gotta get Sled puller to put his head in that load tester ;D ;D Just jokin Sleddy.

Don~

In the pictures I see really cool dark blue box with white lettering too
Old 12-10-2002, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter, I have heard only HIGH REMARKS about the South Bend Clutches. This is my first clutch purchase that wasn't factory. I have had so much trouble with factory people. Especially CHEVY. Not a slam. I just have had no luck at all with Chevy products.<br>I am looking forward to Friday because my SBC con fe will be entering my 99 dually. I have looked at the clutch and that is a thing of beauty. I guess in the past few weeks with the slamming that has gone on I got worried about whos product was good, or bad. I really felt unsure about things. After talking to some people I felt the SBC was the way to go.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:12 PM
DTR Advertiser

HG,<br><br>For the record I never slammed on the SBC. I think it is a great clutch for nearly eveyone in this community.<br><br>Don~<br>
Old 12-10-2002, 02:21 PM

Maybe slamming was the wrong word to use. You guys know your stuff. I am learning as I go. <br>I just want a very dependable product. Every time I ask I get &quot;SBC&quot;. So thats what I am trying. I may take it out next year and try a pulling clutch. I will wait and see how the other clutch does.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=South Bend Clutch

If you treat me like a human, I will bend over backwards for you. If you treat me like an idiot I will do nothing for you. Will I worry about you bad mouthing me? No, because I am sure that you have treated your friends, your family and most everyone you have delt with this way and they won't listen anyway.

Peter
Wow Peter! I could not have phrased that any better than you did. This applies in every situation where we interact with others.

Hired Gun used the term &quot;slamming&quot; and I completely understand how this thread could be seen in that manner.

Perhaps the intent was never meant to portray this feeling, but that is how a lot of these threads appear to people including myself. This is the very reason &quot;We&quot; moderators keep jumping in trying to keep things at a calm level so they don't get out of hand.

As Peter so elequently put it in his statement that I quoted, &quot;If you treat me like an idiot, I will do nothing for you.&quot; This feeling is easily felt here simply because of the nature of this medium. We can not see each other's subtle gestures and mannerism's that give us a clue as to what the poster is actually trying to say. Thus it far too easy to misread what may be the actual intent of the post in the first place.

Taking the time to show a little respect and courtesy in how we all approach things here, can really help us all understand better and avoid these pitfalls of misunderstandings.

This is something we all can benefit from if we keep this in mind as we debate these issues and learn from them in the process.

Thank you Don and Peter and all the rest who even when the heat seems to be turned up, you still take the time to &quot;think&quot; past it so that we can keep these great information packed threads from falling apart.

Lary

Old 12-10-2002, 03:05 PM

Peter old budy old pal If you ever need a person to test your new pulling cluth I would gladly take the time out of my busy day and give you a truck to test it in. ;D I will even up the Hp to give it a real twist at the flywheel.
Well a man can dream can't he
Old 04-04-2003, 12:32 AM

[quote author=Don M link=board=7;threadid=7889;start=15#76253 date=1039135896]
Kurt Yardley sled pulled with one and sparks were flying out of the bellhousing. The next day he was driving the truck around again. Im sure some damage was done, but the friction material is very good and durable. Joe commented to me a few months back that he was impressed seeing this.

Don~

[/quote]
I Edited most of Don's post to save space.

I happend to be looking around and found this clutch debate... Thought I would drag it back up and stir the pot alittle ;D

There are quite a few people that watched me Slip/Spark that SouthBend Con FE.

Thought I would add some info. I ran three runs Blowing sparks. I was running around 450 -475 HP at the time.

My truck had pulled the sled so easy in 3rd gear Low range that I wanted to try 4th. So I slipped it quite a bit to get rolling. It never did hook back up but it still pulled the sled. I was impressed. After three runs I went back to the hotel.

The drag races were two days later and the clutch was at 80% of Grip. The more I drove it the more it improved. I ran maybe 6 runs?

Back home in SS NM I continued to drive the truck with the same disc. At a local Drag event I was runnin 14.5 to 14.2 Et's. I replaced the disc after 20,000? more miles and 100+ 1/4 mile times on street and strip sometimes pulling trailers.

When I removed it it was at 90-95% grip. I still have the disc. It has cracks but still was close to new thickness... But boy it showed heat colors... &quot;KK Klutch Tempering service&quot;

I now have the same clutch setup with the Hybrid Cover. (the weights added.) I really like it. I am higher in HP now and I have only slipped alittle when running at the strip once. The slippage occured after I have powershifted down the track several runs in a row and it was from 5th to sixth. If I don't get it that hot is hasn't slipped.

I know I will soon need a Stronger clutch. I want to stay single disc. What is the most recent upgraded Clutch HP/TRQ#'s.

Big HP Guys what are the latest and Greatest choices? ;D ??? [undecided]

I Kinda hate to say it but my next truck will be a Auto... :-X They are to fast on the track.. L8tr Kurt

Old 04-04-2003, 06:57 AM
Banned

[quote author=KwikKurt link=board=7;threadid=7889;start=60#124081 date=1049437931]<br>I know I will soon need a Stronger clutch. I want to stay single disc. <br>[/quote]<br><br>KK,<br><br> This new South Bend double disk clutch is really quiet and drivable! I just cant see any reason to run a single disk agian! Give Peter a call and talk to him about it. I cant wait to sled pull with it!!!<br><br>J.R.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=KwikKurt link=board=7;threadid=7889;start=60#124081 date=1049437931]<br>[quote author=Don M link=board=7;threadid=7889;start=15#76253 date=1039135896]<br>Kurt Yardley sled pulled with one and sparks were flying out of the bellhousing. The next day he was driving the truck around again. Im sure some damage was done, but the friction material is very good and durable. Joe commented to me a few months back that he was impressed seeing this. <br><br>Don~<br><br><br>[/quote]<br>I Edited most of Don's post to save space.<br><br>I happend to be looking around and found this clutch debate... Thought I would drag it back up and stir the pot alittle ;D<br><br>There are quite a few people that watched me Slip/Spark that SouthBend Con FE.<br><br>Thought I would add some info. I ran three runs Blowing sparks. I was running around 450 -475 HP at the time. <br><br>My truck had pulled the sled so easy in 3rd gear Low range that I wanted to try 4th. So I slipped it quite a bit to get rolling. It never did hook back up but it still pulled the sled. I was impressed. After three runs I went back to the hotel.<br><br>The drag races were two days later and the clutch was at 80% of Grip. The more I drove it the more it improved. I ran maybe 6 runs?<br><br>Back home in SS NM I continued to drive the truck with the same disc. At a local Drag event I was runnin 14.5 to 14.2 Et's. I replaced the disc after 20,000? more miles and 100+ 1/4 mile times on street and strip sometimes pulling trailers. <br><br>When I removed it it was at 90-95% grip. I still have the disc. It has cracks but still was close to new thickness... But boy it showed heat colors... &quot;KK Klutch Tempering service&quot; <br><br>I now have the same clutch setup with the Hybrid Cover. (the weights added.) I really like it. I am higher in HP now and I have only slipped alittle when running at the strip once. The slippage occured after I have powershifted down the track several runs in a row and it was from 5th to sixth. If I don't get it that hot is hasn't slipped.<br><br>I know I will soon need a Stronger clutch. I want to stay single disc. What is the most recent upgraded Clutch HP/TRQ#'s. <br><br>Big HP Guys what are the latest and Greatest choices? ;D ??? [undecided]<br><br>I Kinda hate to say it but my next truck will be a Auto... :-X They are to fast on the track.. L8tr Kurt<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>you had your blue sweater on and the blue kevlar scatter shield though.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:20 AM

[quote author=KwikKurt link=board=7;threadid=7889;start=60#124081 date=1049437931]<br>I Kinda hate to say it but my next truck will be a Auto... :-X They are to fast on the track.. L8tr Kurt<br>[/quote]<br><br>Seems like a lot of HP junkies have been changing over to the auto.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:17 AM
DTR Advertiser

Well shoot, the old clutch threads are getting some &quot;air time&quot;<br><br>Just a quick update on the Sachs: It still holds the power well. It has never slipped, even in my 8700lb Dually. I have been driving our 03 Ram around a bunch and got to really liking the ultra soft pedal pressure it has when compared to the Sachs. The Sachs is considerably tougher to drive, but it WILL hold the power. Speed shifting or whatever, it holds...period. Its engagemnet is fast and disengagment is crisp and precise. <br>It would not be my choice for sled pulling, but I dont do such things. <br><br>Peter, ya think Sleddy's head would fit in that clamp load tester ya got Prolly not now since its swelling I have heard about after his recent pulling victories. Perhaps we could squeeze it some in that thing to reduce the swelling? <br><br>Don~
Old 04-04-2003, 12:11 PM
DTR Advertiser

Yeah, see we gotta get that things size reduced for Genes sake more than others. That head must be tough to carry around. If that clamp load tester would have the capacity to hold that huge noggin we could in effect repair Gene once and for all.

There will be benefit to be had for all

For anyone who is wondering....this is all in fun!

Don~
Old 04-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Banned

What seems amazing to me is how the management here allows Don M~ to continuously take potshots at Sled Puller after he was booted off.Yet he claims it all in good fun as he ALWAYS does.Kinda wondering how that is allowed to happen here..........Andy
Old 04-05-2003, 11:43 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=Hammer link=board=7;threadid=7889;start=60#124691 date=1049606492]<br>What seems amazing to me is how the management here allows Don M~ to continuously take potshots at Sled Puller after he was booted off.Yet he claims it all in good fun as he ALWAYS does.Kinda wondering how that is allowed to happen here..........Andy<br>[/quote]<br><br> Andy, Don M was clearly joking as he stated in his post, and most of this thread is from some time ago.<br><br> However your post's seem clearly aimed at Don M in an angry and antagonistic manner. That is unacceptable behavior here.<br><br> Kindly refrain from making your comments toward other members in this manner.<br><br>

Quick Reply: A rebuttal to DON M. and his new choice of clutch