Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Reason's NOT to buy a K & N Air Filter...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
without any kind of support for the filter or where it clamps on with the turbo inlet hose.
Do you mean that people will slip the turbo inlet hose OVER the filter? Or that they will let the filter just sit there leaning against whatever in the engine bay. I think most filters are meant to have something go inside them vs over them.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by njoverkill
Do you mean that people will slip the turbo inlet hose OVER the filter? Or that they will let the filter just sit there leaning against whatever in the engine bay. I think most filters are meant to have something go inside them vs over them.
What I have seen is where people will insert the filter end into the turbo inlet hose and clamp that thinking that is all they need. The materials are too soft and they need a reinforcement for clamping. The filter can and will 'pop' out. I have also seen where the filter...specifically the BHAF is just sitting in there without any means of support.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:14 PM

So how about a filter like this?
I had the Blitz SUS on my old 240SX with a Blitz K3T turbo and it ran great... is the filtration not enough for a CTD?

Blog-

The BLITZ® SUS Power air cleaners are made from top quality T-304 stainless steel. Totally unique, the entire filtration element is made from a fine stainless steel T-304 mesh (200 micron mesh and 150 micron crown). This mesh means the filter will never wear out, and have substantially less restriction than any other filter. Another feature is the super fine pattern of the mesh. This straightens the airflow and dramatically reduces aerodynamic ¡¥tumble¡¦ (restrictive turbulence). The BLITZ® air cleaners also have fine mesh at the top of the filter, further improving the airflow capabilities.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:23 PM

I never want to start war about filters but I gues I did... Sorry guys...

Out here we have lots of dirt roads. The dust can get so thick its like a fog. It will settle on the windshield and slide down it like sand. The point I'm making is that if your using a oil bath media (K & N or others) the seem to plug up and deform quickly from the oil holding the dirt in the media and not sheding it.

As for my self I've seen several different engine using oil bath media deform the filter it short periods of time. This includes my motorcycle (Honda Sabre 750 - Oiled foam) which I ride the same roads with. As listed in my previous message about 5 - 7K miles. The media can be complete covered in a oily dirt (no mesh visable and the media could be deformed!).

Just let people know what I've seen... The paper media I'm using which is a fleetguard filter seems to shed the dust easy and take out the filter and tap it against your hand lightly and the dirt releases. I've never seen a paper element deform yet. But I've seen a K & N filter deformed from dirt and dust...

Not to start a war but this is what I've seen...
Old 05-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
like i said, change it
Old 05-30-2005, 07:48 PM

!

SO
are the stainless steel mesh filters crap? im guessing dust is going to get through?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Scotty
What I have seen is where people will insert the filter end into the turbo inlet hose and clamp that thinking that is all they need. The materials are too soft and they need a reinforcement for clamping. The filter can and will 'pop' out. I have also seen where the filter...specifically the BHAF is just sitting in there without any means of support.
Scotty, my BHAF doesn't seem to need support at the outlet neck. The neck is about as rigid as the OEM plastic connection point. That said, I'm hoping to make this Donaldson thing work out. Ditching the BHAF won't break my heart. If the Donaldson doesn't work out, I'm getting an air unit from you.

justin
Old 05-30-2005, 08:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by spudwrench
i like my kn filter. never had problem with it yet but on newer trucks i hear about problems. my niece is in armed forces and they use k n on helicopters and i believe they draw alot more air than a turbo on a lil diesel will.
Surely you jest. No military hardware to my knowledge runs anything from K&N.

They MAY repat MAY be an oiled gauze element filter, but it sure isn't K&N. Helicopters and other aircraft generally have NO FILTRATION AT ALL. At least, in my 11 years on active duty, I've never seen it.

I'm willing to be wrong.

Justin
Old 05-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Banned

My old BHAF has around 60-70k miles on it and still filters great. All I did to install it was to slide it in the turbo hose and clamp it down. I just left it sitting in the engine bay. In the 3 years I've been using it, it's seen mud, TONS of rain and water, extreme heat, extreme (for us Texans ) cold, 30+ psi several times a day and it's never once given me any troubles. I think yall worry to much.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by HOHN
Scotty, my BHAF doesn't seem to need support at the outlet neck. The neck is about as rigid as the OEM plastic connection point. That said, I'm hoping to make this Donaldson thing work out. Ditching the BHAF won't break my heart. If the Donaldson doesn't work out, I'm getting an air unit from you.

justin
[sigh] You will be running a Scotty 2 after your try all the others.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:30 PM

I had a K N on my ol 6.5 once then thedieselpage did a test on them and said at a 6.5 max draw of 350 CFM too much dirt was coming through. So I took the fairly new filter out and held it up to the sun and I could see ALOT of sun light coming through the pin holes of the washable cotton/paper K&N. Did the same with the OEM and ZIP, NO sun light. Sold the K&N on E-bay. End of story
Old 05-31-2005, 02:35 PM

I deal with a ton of Donaldson dust collectors that pick up anything from carbon black particles to crushed austinite dust. Each collector that I have installed or worked on that is operating to filter out fine or medium size particulate, utilize a cartridge based filter that is mounted on an internal wire type support which accommodates 2 filters in series. Most of the filters use a microbond polyester media which is actually spun woven polyester. These filters see massive amounts of dry to saturated (dewpoint) air and are loosely supported on the wire inner support. The rubber end gaskets on these filters are compressed to each other as well as the tube sheet (metal wall which seperates clean from dirty airflows) by means of tightening the access door against the end of the filters opposite of the tube sheet. I have performed fluorescent light leak tests in many collectors and have found that 90% of the leaks were caused by unproperly tightened access doors or filters which have been (air pressure) blown clean by the owner trying to achieve longer filter life. Someone earlier stated that a BRAND NEW clean filter is not as effective as one which has been installed for a while. This is true because dust cake on the inner cell structure allows dust to build upon itself thusly becoming more efficient in capturing smaller micron dust particles. In many new installations, I have performed a pre-caking operations on brand new filters prior to putting the system into actual operation.

Donaldson makes a BHAF style filter which is of polyester construction. I can not remember the exact model#. I have been running my current Donaldson BHAF for over 2 years, without an Outerwears protector, unsupported and installed just as BigBlue has and have yet to have any bypass dust at inlet or any delamination of filter media at end casings. Yes I check it occasionally and lightly tap the excess dust out of it, but it is still performing satisfactorily.

Sorry for the rant, but I have spent quite a bit of time in the dust collection portion of HVAC field and wanted to put $.02 worth of what I have learned over the years of field experience into the discussion.

Gary
Old 05-31-2005, 11:08 PM

I do a lot of off roading, and own a shop specializing in 4x4 service and parts. In our dirty, muddy environment, filtration is a big subject. My personal feelings are that K&Ns are awesome at doing what they were designed for, and if they are kept clean, live up to their reputation. But I don't think they belong in our particular off road environment, because as has been mentioned, when they get dirty they require a thorough cleaning, which you can't be lazy about doing.

On the other hand, paper filters let more dirt through. Out of all that dirt that gets on a paper filter, sure, you can shake off the larger stuff, but thats not the stuff you are worried about anyway. Any filter will filter out that stuff. Its the very small, fine particles that actually get trapped in the fibers of the filter that you need to worry about. Just shaking off the filter won't get them, and usually blowing out the filter won't get them (and can easily damage the filter). When a paper filter gets dirty, it needs to be replaced.

I guess if I had to make suggestions about filters, it would be this: For over the road guys looking for maximum airflow and don't get into the really dirty environments, go with a K&N. They flow very well and trap the most dirt. For guys using their trucks around the farm, construction sites, and on dirt roads, use a paper filter and spend the money to change it when its needed.

Just personal opinion though...

Jim
Old 06-01-2005, 12:38 AM

Does this stuff never end? I have NEVER found ANY dust in my intake while i have been running my K&N boxed, or cone filter. Some may not seal good in the box but i personally believe there is nothing wrong with a K&N as long as it is properly maintained. That means not going crazy with the oil and soaking it. It will come through if you do that. All it needs is a LIGHT coating. Not a thourough soaking.I have had mine for about a year. I have cleaned it once, and need to clean it again. I personally believe it has to be filtering okay or I would have dust all over the intake tube. The oil helps hold the dirt. Yes. You can see through it just a little but i bet you can see through any oil type filter like that too. I just dont think this is to big of a deal. There are all kinds of people who run K&N's every day, and how many failures have you ever heard of that were proven to be caused by a K&N filter? And whoever said a K&N doesent flow enough is crazy. My cone K&N sounds like its coming through the firewall after you. The regular airbox filter sounds mean enough. I would personally feel better about running my K&N that i can clean for years with a $10 cleaning kit than a dirty BHAF that costs about as much as i paid for my filter a pop for a replacement. Now if I start seeing dirt in my intake it will be gone, but its working fine so far, and sucks air like crazy, so i think its fine. I think someone started this crazy rumor about K&N because theirs didnt seal well in the factory airbox, and now everyone thinks they are all like that or something.

Eric

Quick Reply: Reason's NOT to buy a K & N Air Filter...