Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Rear End Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by B KIRK
I put an 02 Dana 80 with disc brakes in my 94. Here's what I did.
The spring perches are the same width. The axle is 1 3/4" wider where the wheels mount. That's the reason for the extra backspacing on the 01 - 02 wheels. Your 99 wheels will stick out 7/8" more on each side. The brake hose is metric. Have to adapt that up. E-brake cables are different. Get them with the axle if you can. I had no load sen valve, so not an issue with mine. I assume you have a Dana 70, (auto). If replacement is a 70 also, no driveshaft problems. I went from a 70 to an 80. Had to shorten driveshaft 1 1/4".
Brakes, where to start. I changed my vacuum booster to a hydraboost. It was out of an 02 also. The master cylinder and resevoir for the discs are larger than the drum brakes. The disc brake master cylinder won't bolt up to a drum hydraboost. Don't know how the drum master cylinder and proportioning valve would work on rear discs.
Proportioning valve under master cylinder. I was going to try my drum setup, but it was pretty crappy lookin inside. Figured I was going to have to replace it. Went with an aftermarket disc/disc setup. I also installed an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line. So far, never had to turn it down any.
If you are going to a Dana 80, get the axle u-bolt brackets, as they are for the larger tubes. Not sure if there is a difference in the exciter ring sensor from 99 to 01. I had to change mine, (plug connection).
End results. I also put slotted/dimpled rotors on the front. Truck stops great, even with 37" tires. Better than I expected. Was well worth the work.
Hope this helps. Pics in my photo gallery.

Brad
If you do not have access to some of the other parts such as the hydroboost and such, I saw some of them on ebay earlier today. Good luck!!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xj_punk

No need to update the sig....the rig speeks for itself....It'll stomp all over...well pretty much anything.
Thanks for the clarification Phox
Matt
Old 07-15-2005, 01:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what you guys are telling me, it would be a good idea to get the booster/master cylinder & proportioning valve off of the truck I am getting the axle from. Is that right Ggg? I am doing a 70 to 70 swap,not dealing with an 80 so let's not confuse me anymore than I already am, but thanks Brad for your detailed description. I am going to swipe the brake lines too. The guy told me I could go over the truck & get what I needed. What more could you ask for? I am still open for any ideas not mentioned yet. Thanks a lot gentlemen.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Ggg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah if you can get the whole brake system then by all means get it.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did finally get around to pulling the dented & cracked cover off. The pinion teeth were all laying in or near the bottom of the housing. I got them all out. The ring gear was all chewed up. The sensor ring next to the ring gear was loose, just flopping around. Nothing bolt cutters wouldn't take care of. I cleaned it out best I could & filled it back with Walmart 20w50. I didn't see any sense in putting dope back in it. I am trying to get over to AL to pick up this 01 axle with disc brakes if I can get over a few ailments I have. I do have rear ABS. Do any of you think the 01 will have the same plug or whatever connector works the ABS? I got a 99, going to an 01disc. The bed is gone off of this wreck, so everything should be easy to see unless they just cut the brake lines when the axle was removed. I am hopeful to get the mastercylinder & hydrbooster & anything else that will come off in a hurry. I will let you guys know how this turns out, hopefully by Friday or saturday. I am still taking advice for anything that might have been missed so far. Thanks.