Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Rear End Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear End Swap

I got a 99 4x4 that needs a new rear end. I just had it rebuilt in april & it has bit the dust. I have found a 2001 with 56k miles & disc brakes. How much trouble would it be to swap this 99 rear to the 01 rear with discs? THANKS
Old 07-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

Hey guys, I need some help here if anyone knows anything about doing this swap. Why was I moved out of the drivetrain section into performance & aftermarket stuff? Last time I checked, the rearend was the rear end of the drive train, Hence Engine & drivetrain only. ??????????
Old 07-13-2005, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing you need to worry about is

1. spring perches(width of the springs), I would imagine they are the same.
2. U-joint, probably the same
3. Brake lines, might just have to make some not a big deal
4. Parking brake cable, you might need the ones off the 2000.

Shouldn't be a big deal, you might also need the proportioning valve off a 2000 to get the right amount of pressure to the disk brakes. Should just bolt right in other than brake lines and parking cables though. I would do it in an instant just for disk brakes!!

this should be in drivetrain, axle=drivetrain
Old 07-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by apwatson50
this should be in drivetrain, axle=drivetrain
The fact that it is not OEM axle, then this would be the right forum for it.

I would think you'd need the master cylinder off the donor truck as well,
disc brakes have a larger resevoir (or is that smaller?) different either way.

phox
Old 07-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

Not trying to be picky PHOX, but it is OEM isn't it. I figured I was getting less exposure in this forum than the drivetrain forum & I desperately want all the info I can get to do this right. I am going to get one Monday. The guy still has the truck & told me I could pilfer it for what ever else I might need. Is the proportioning valve the valve located under the bed to adjust for weight in the bed? Thanks guys for your help.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:55 PM

Make sure it is not a cab and chassis rearend, they have dif. measurements. Seen that happen more than once.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Ok, technically it is OEM, but not OEM for a 1999 truck.

Much more exposure here.

Yes, it is the valve on the rear axle with the arm connected to the frame.

More load in the bed, more braking.

phox
Old 07-13-2005, 04:08 PM

There is also usually a valve closer to the master cylinder that adjusts pressure between the front and rear. That is the one I was thinking of if those trucks have one. I don't think you need to worry about the master cylinder itself.

They have all types of disk brake conversions for cars and ford 9in and I don't hear all of them saying they have to get a different master cylinder.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Chapter President

just with my experience w/ jeep axles and disc brakes, but all I've ever needed was an adjustable proportioning valve to fine tune the rear discs. I put 1 tons with discs on my '93 wrangler (stock drums) and that's all I changed. It'll stop! The problem isn't having enough pressure to lock the rear discs, its having too much pressure. Get a valve and you'll be fine provided the measurements are the same. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 07-13-2005, 06:30 PM

CODODGE2500MAN

one tons? do you need to upgrade your sig? dana 44 is not a one ton!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by xj_punk
CODODGE2500MAN

one tons? do you need to upgrade your sig? dana 44 is not a one ton!
44 in the front, 60 in the back.

phox
Old 07-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Banned

Well, I have made my own fuel line kit, modified my own valve body, Modified myown turbo. I guess there is no reason I can't make this work. I will be more than happy to let you guys know how it turns out. I just can't believe there is NO ONE on this site that hasn't already tried it. I think I am getting a good deal. I am getting the rear end caliper to caliper for a grand with 56,000 miles on it. The guy said I could look over the wreck & see if I needed any hoses or lines of anykind. Doesn't that sound a whole lot better & cheaper than rebuilding the whole chunk, as I am sure everything is gone by now?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Banned

Do the newer model 2nd gen trucks have better front end brakes than the 99? Are there any after market kits for bigger calipers,rotors, etc. or would a front end swap be easier? I am looking for the absolute best in braking power. I don't know why I keep spending money on this truck, but I just blow all my buddies away in their new Ferds,Chebbies, & the new Dodges pulling all similiar sized boats. I can't make myself buy a new truck.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Ggg

You do not need to change the load proportioning valve back at the rear axle. You need either an aftermarket brake proportioning valve (Summit, Jegs, Howe, Wildwood) or the stock one up closer to the master cyl. I would try Pavementsucks.com or Pirate4x4.com for more info they do a lot of axle swaps. I remember reading and looking at the photos of a guy putting 1st. gen 1-ton axles under a Dakota, that was not your average axle swap job.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 PM

I put an 02 Dana 80 with disc brakes in my 94. Here's what I did.
The spring perches are the same width. The axle is 1 3/4" wider where the wheels mount. That's the reason for the extra backspacing on the 01 - 02 wheels. Your 99 wheels will stick out 7/8" more on each side. The brake hose is metric. Have to adapt that up. E-brake cables are different. Get them with the axle if you can. I had no load sen valve, so not an issue with mine. I assume you have a Dana 70, (auto). If replacement is a 70 also, no driveshaft problems. I went from a 70 to an 80. Had to shorten driveshaft 1 1/4".
Brakes, where to start. I changed my vacuum booster to a hydraboost. It was out of an 02 also. The master cylinder and resevoir for the discs are larger than the drum brakes. The disc brake master cylinder won't bolt up to a drum hydraboost. Don't know how the drum master cylinder and proportioning valve would work on rear discs.
Proportioning valve under master cylinder. I was going to try my drum setup, but it was pretty crappy lookin inside. Figured I was going to have to replace it. Went with an aftermarket disc/disc setup. I also installed an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line. So far, never had to turn it down any.
If you are going to a Dana 80, get the axle u-bolt brackets, as they are for the larger tubes. Not sure if there is a difference in the exciter ring sensor from 99 to 01. I had to change mine, (plug connection).
End results. I also put slotted/dimpled rotors on the front. Truck stops great, even with 37" tires. Better than I expected. Was well worth the work.
Hope this helps. Pics in my photo gallery.

Brad

Quick Reply: Rear End Swap