Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Rear Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Disc Brakes

I've noticed my truck has started having some braking problems. I had to stomp on the brakes hard today in town in the inside lane and it all but yanked the wheel out of my hand pulling to the left so hard. Hard enough that I have to get off the brakes and pull hard back to the right to keep out of the ditch. I need to pull the front brakes and check it all out but I'm thinking it's the rear brakes probably just as bad because the rotors ain't warped or grooved on the front. I absolutely hate rear drums so I'd like to know what my choices would be for rear disc brakes. This truck will be mine for many many years to come so if I'm going to do it I'm not going to go back with drum brakes because it turns into a all day job and involves enough cussing to make a sailor blush when I work on drums so help me out with some advise,links,prices etc. Thanks for your time
Old 02-20-2006, 01:12 AM

Check for oil or fluid leaks on the right front, uneaven wear of the pads indicating dragging caliper slides or stuck pistons, try a gradual increase in braking, if it stops straight you may have a bad flex hose. It's possible the rears are causing your pull too, but you should feel the truck drift to one side rather than yank the wheel on brake aplication. Good luck
Old 02-20-2006, 02:12 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Rear discs

I went with EGR's rear disc conversion on my '99 2500. Stops like never before but pricey. You might consider fixing the rears and adding one-ton Chevy wheel cylinders before considering the conversion. I had tried everything including one-ton Dodge wheel cylinders but the Chevys are supposed to be marginally better.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Before you spend big bucks try replacing the rear wheel cylinders with GMC 1 ton cylinders (Napa #4637337) first and see if your impression of stopping power changes. I guarantee it will. For $12 each and an hour of your time it's one of the best modifications going. Don't tell the Napa guys what the part is or what it's going on or you will confuse them. Just a part number is enough. You can even order online by clicking here

The mod is described in more detail here-
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=43854

Switching from a 27mm to a 30mm cylinder increases applied force area from 572.55mm^2 to 706.85mm^2. That's over a 23% increase.
On a '94 with 24mm cylinders it's over 50% increase

Also make sure your rears are correctly adjusted by doing it manually. Dodge drum brake self adjusters are notorious for not working.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:52 AM

Honestly, I feel the GM 1-tons are too much. when empty, the rear goes into ABS LONG before the fronts start to lose traction... GREAT when loaded though.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:45 PM

Well the reason I don't want to work on the drums are because I honestly believe they are on the way out. So if I'm going to have to replace pads and such then I'm going to go ahead and convert it to discs. I absolutely hate working on drum brakes and I've never worked on drum brakes that were worth two whole cents. I'll pull them down soon and check them out to see how they look.

If there in good shape I'll check into the wheel cylinders,if everything is shot I'm going to discs. Do you figure one of the setups folks sell on Ebay would fit the Dana 70? I know most of the kits on Ebay are for a Dana 60,using a caliper bracket then GM rotors,calipers etc. I don't have to have a parking brake anyhow because it's a automatic. Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Honestly, I feel the GM 1-tons are too much. when empty, the rear goes into ABS LONG before the fronts start to lose traction... GREAT when loaded though.
I've installed the larger cylinders on at least twenty trucks, both 4 and 2 wheel ABS, and have never heard that before. Everyone has been very pleased although one guy on the 24 valve forum here said he didn't think the larger cylinders did anything. Most people do have a a learning experience on their first stop though.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:59 PM

Will the larger wheel cylinders work on a 1st gen? My brakes suck
Old 02-21-2006, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Terraizer
Will the larger wheel cylinders work on a 1st gen? My brakes suck
They will work on all Ram trucks up until rear discs were introduced.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I've installed the larger cylinders on at least twenty trucks, both 4 and 2 wheel ABS, and have never heard that before. Everyone has been very pleased although one guy on the 24 valve forum here said he didn't think the larger cylinders did anything. Most people do have a a learning experience on their first stop though.
Problem is, I can't say how well the truck stopped before the GM cylinders, because the drums weren't doing anything because they were so far out of adjustment...

The truck certainly has a "bigger brake" feel during normal driving, but when it comes time to throw out the anchor, the rear does lock up easily, which flat-spotted my right rear tires.. (ABS is currently inop pending reflash for the new PCM)
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM

Mopar Kid, the rear caliper brackets I used to convert mine were intended for a Dodge Dana 60, but fit the 70 too. My rear axle is from a 2nd gen. so it's possible the D60 kits on ebay will work on your D70. I agree with you, drums suck. Converting mine to rear disk was one of the best things I've done. It cost to do, but stops better than ever. It was well worth the money to me.