Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Rear disc brake pads??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear disc brake pads??

Well, I did a search and couldn't really find an answer, so....On an 02 with rear disk brakes, what are some of the better brands of brake pads you guys have had luck with??
Old 02-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Banned

you have an 02 and are asking about what ones to use? you never changed them since new ? ding ding ding ding, we got a winner, go get some from the dealer as they obviously lasted a Loooooong time ! myself I have replaced all the pads all the way around the truck with napa's, their best for the truck, and will see how they last, whichever alsts longer, the stocks that made just over 50 thou, or the napa, only time will tell.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 AM
GFB

I put on the best ones napa had, not even sure what they were. No squeaks and no dust so far.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't mind dust, if that's what it takes to get good stopping power that won't eat the rotors.

Ceramics are always good for low dust and smoothness, but they don't have great stopping power and they do wear the rotors.

Metallics aren't smooth, stop hard, and eat rotors.

IMO, the best pad is a carbon composite-- ideally carbon kevlar. But I've yet to find a carbon kevlar pad for our trucks.

Brakes are a wear item, and if you are getting 100K out of some pads, even with hard use-- then I'd suggest your brakes aren't doing their job well at all.

Just like a 100K mile tire will never match the traction of a 30K mile tire.

Brakes and tires can be the difference between getting in an accident and avoiding one-- and that alone can far offset any savings on a cheaper product.

JMO
Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM

you have an 02 and are asking about what ones to use? you never changed them since new ? ding ding ding ding, we got a winner, go get some from the dealer as they obviously lasted a Loooooong time !
WOW!! You got all of that out of a simple question. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYHING GOOD TO SAY, THEN MOVE ALONG!!!
Just wondered what some of you have used besides Mopar and NAPA pads and ur likes and dislikes of whatever you have used. I've been using the NAPA pads, and thought I might try sumthin different this time.

GFB--Thank you for your input.

Hohn--Thank you for this advice:
Ceramics are always good for low dust and smoothness, but they don't have great stopping power and they do wear the rotors.

Metallics aren't smooth, stop hard, and eat rotors.

IMO, the best pad is a carbon composite-- ideally carbon kevlar. But I've yet to find a carbon kevlar pad for our trucks.
And YES, I do realize that brakes wear out.

I'll ask again--What are some of the different types/brands of pads ya'll have used, besides Mopar and NAPA pads and what's ur likes and dislikes of whatever you have used??
Old 02-09-2008, 12:55 PM

I'll do some more research and get back to you.

jh
Old 02-09-2008, 01:29 PM

I have always been told that original brakes (pads and rotors) will outlast anything else you can put on. Even when you by new pads from the dealer they won't hold up the same. My experience has reflected that also. I have yet to find a pad that I could see significant difference. I have tried just about everything including cut and drilled rotors. My conclusion is I normally go with the middle priced pads. Whatever thats worth.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Chapter President

Subscribing to this as I want to replace all mine here soon and I want to hear the results.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I'll do some more research and get back to you.

jh
Yeah, that's my problem, I don't even know what's available for our trucks to even be able to research my options. Haven't come up with much on my internet searching. That's kinda what I was lookin for was ideas on what's available so I could research it a little more.
Hohn, research seems to be your forte', so run with it, that'll be less that I have to do. J/K, any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I usually use Raybestos, and have had reasonable luck. The biggest part of longevity is prep work. Pull out the rubber slide bushings from the caliper, hone all the rust from their bores, right down to shiny bare metal, treat them with a rust preventative, like Fluid Film and install new rubber bushings. Remove the caliper frames and sandblast the slide rails under the stainless liners. Remember that rust, when heated, will expand ten times more than iron. This is what usually causes uneven brake wear.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:06 PM

I've never done that^^ but it's a good idea.

I've never had uneven brake wear, though, either.

Just lucky, I guess.

jh
Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 PM

Well, since the rear pads are the focus of this search (and they seem to be harder to find) I was able to come up with this:

Axxis Deluxe (organic)-- P/N 45-0702AX

EBC Brakes:
P/N UD702: "Ultimax" OEM replacement
P/N DP61267: "Greenstuff" sport street

Interestingly enough, the brake pads on the late 2nd gens appear to be the same part number as the 3rd gen brakes on teh AAM axle. Interesting...

jh

EDIT: link here:http://www.buybrakes.com/ebc/pad-apps-Dodge.html
Old 02-09-2008, 07:39 PM

http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/2...-Pads_498.aspx Here's some info on the Hawk pads. Didn't look at it too much, the Bud Shootout is startin! Woo-Hoo!! I'll catch up with ya guys later.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
Well, since the rear pads are the focus of this search (and they seem to be harder to find) I was able to come up with this:

Axxis Deluxe (organic)-- P/N 45-0702AX

EBC Brakes:
P/N UD702: "Ultimax" OEM replacement
P/N DP61267: "Greenstuff" sport street

Interestingly enough, the brake pads on the late 2nd gens appear to be the same part number as the 3rd gen brakes on teh AAM axle. Interesting...

jh

EDIT: link here:http://www.buybrakes.com/ebc/pad-apps-Dodge.html
Hohn, have you ever tried these EBC products? I've seen their ads lately and they look interesting, but I've found some combinations that work well on the 2nd gens, and I'm reluctant to try something new. I get well over 60K on a front brake job and I want to keep it that way.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 AM

I've no experience with EBC, but they seem to be highly regarded from what I can tell.

Quick Reply: Rear disc brake pads??