Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ready for next step

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready for next step

I just installed my new Di Pricol Fuel pressure, boost and EGT gauges on an A pillar mount. I am very impressed with the quality and performance of the gauges. Now that I can monitor the engine I'm ready for the next step. The truck is a daily driver and I drive between 250 and 400 miles a day 5 days a week. I will tow a 7000lb trailer once a month.

What I want is as much low end and mid range as I can get. Most of my driving is in the sticks and I get a rush from accelerating the truck from a roll to 70-80mph. The quicker the better, but I still have to keep the truck dependable.

I said all that to say this......I'm ready for a box and I don't know whether to get a Smarty or an Edge Comp. The Comp seems to make more power, but the Smarty may have more low end. I would appreciate input from others to help make up my mind.

Some other things I would do if needed would be 4 in exhaust, bigger injectors. I just need to get a game plan together.

I think the stock HY turbo will spool faster and thereby give me the low end and mid range I'm looking for, so I don't think I'll need to replace it, but I will need to increase th boose to the mid 30's. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm not sure if my signature will show up(newby on this site) so if it doesn't it's a 2001.5 quad cab 2500 2wd auto, 354 rear thanx......Ron
Old 04-01-2006, 11:44 AM

I just put a comp on and am quite happy. Power there when you need it, turn it down when you dont.

From a roll she has no problem hitting 100mph... its addicting though. Ive had it tapped for about 14 hours now and already want more.. more.. more... more...
Old 04-01-2006, 12:12 PM

well if it was me i would go with the comp . but ether way you go you want to look at the tranny before you go much further cause both set ups will give a stock auto fits if its a low miles trans you can get away with a vb to hold the power just a box will throw down . but you might want to put a tc in there also since you do pull with it .
Old 04-01-2006, 04:47 PM

I just went from a Banks Power pak to a smary with 275 injectors. I have to say, I liked the Banks very much, but wanted a change. I am very happy with my smarty and 275s'. So far the tranny is stock and holding, but I am told it is a lot for the stocker!

The smarty has great low end! I am very happy with it!

What ever you do report back as to how you make out!

Bob
Old 04-01-2006, 05:19 PM

I am getting rid of my Edge Comp for the same year truck as yours. I am buying a newer truck so I won't be needing this anymore. I bought it @ X-Mas time. Its brand new and I have everything that came with it. $450 and its yours. Awesome power and I like the fact you can tune it as you drive